Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,818 times

Advertisements

I have, in the past two years, signed my kids up for FCA summer sports camps. I like the exposure to "cool" teens who are Christian, the visits of prof or semi-prof athletes to share their faith, and reading of scripture (and also the "cool" christian rock and great t-shirts).

As a catholic, I'm NOT okay w/ someone aksing or pressuring my kids to "proclaim JC as Lord and Savior" in order to be "saved". My kids know they were saved through baptism (water and the Holy Spirit), a sacrament which they received as infants....and they are already Christians.

Based on what I've said, what are people's insights into FCA? If you were me, would you continue to send your kids to FCA camps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I have, in the past two years, signed my kids up for FCA summer sports camps. I like the exposure to "cool" teens who are Christian, the visits of prof or semi-prof athletes to share their faith, and reading of scripture (and also the "cool" christian rock and great t-shirts).

As a catholic, I'm NOT okay w/ someone aksing or pressuring my kids to "proclaim JC as Lord and Savior" in order to be "saved". My kids know they were saved through baptism (water and the Holy Spirit), a sacrament which they received as infants....and they are already Christians.

Based on what I've said, what are people's insights into FCA? If you were me, would you continue to send your kids to FCA camps?
Beth Ann, as an atheist, I don't think sending your kids to a sports camp of any kind is bad. If they don't receive any positive religious messages at least they are learning to build teamwork and participating in healthy activities. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I also wasn't really clear as to how much pressure the people are putting on your children to be "saved". If one is to be religious I think it should be a journey of finding your own beliefs not finding out that you are "wrong" because some guy tells you that you are wrong.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Beth Ann, as an atheist, I don't think sending your kids to a sports camp of any kind is bad. If they don't receive any positive religious messages at least they are learning to build teamwork and participating in healthy activities. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I also wasn't really clear as to how much pressure the people are putting on your children to be "saved". If one is to be religious I think it should be a journey of finding your own beliefs not finding out that you are "wrong" because some guy tells you that you are wrong.
Oh yeah....my kids play ALOT of sports....they get alot of the teamworks aspect. It's jus that this particular camp has a distinction about it, and I was just wondering from others who may be familiar w/ it (mostly the evangelicals or "born agains") how much "pressure", if any, is ther to be "saved" ....what should I expect? Also, if there were any other catholics who felt comfortable in the FCA environment?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times
Well, I don't know how much weight you'll put on this coming from a "born again" Christian, but honestly, FCA is a wonderful program and I think it would be good to let your kids go and make up their own minds Just a thought!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,929 times
Hi Beth Ann,

I was raised as a devout Catholic kid. One of my best friends was a pretty hard core, bible believing, fundamentalist protestant. I went to church with him a few times, summer camp a couple of times as well.

It was fascinating to me to see that while we were both christian, there were differences between what we believed and what we were taught. Among other things, he was taught that catholicism was a cult, and catholics not truly saved.

In any case, as I got older I started to do some research, reading the bible, commentaries, church fathers, etc, all in an effort to make sense of these differences.

Long story short, that is what led to my decision that christianity was not rational, god probably did not exist, and ultimately my atheism.

Obviously I am not saying that this will happen to your kids. Personally I think that exposing people of all ages to multiple viewpoints is interesting and valuable.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
Well as a Christian, yes of course I would sent my kids, but if you have issues about something, or it bothers you, dont send them. The main focus of summer camps, VBS, FCA, Upward Bounds Basketball, in which I participate, is to bring kids to Christ that dont normally get the oppurtunity to hear the Gospel message and to bring kids who have closer to God.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
I am not really sure what the issue is with saying that Jesus Christ is savior. If your kids are Christians then I am sure they do say that Jesus Christ is the savior, right? So, instead of arguing the finer points, why not just say, "Yes, my children believe that Jesus is the savior who died for our sins." That is the heart of the issue anyway. You had them baptised because of your belief in Christ. You take sacraments because of your devotion to Christ.

Anyway, the FCA is a wonderful group. My boys have done soccer through them before.

Dawn

Last edited by DawnW; 06-05-2007 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Well, I don't know how much weight you'll put on this coming from a "born again" Christian, but honestly, FCA is a wonderful program and I think it would be good to let your kids go and make up their own minds Just a thought!
That's exactly the reason why I'm asking the non-denom/evang christians here about FCA....I do want your input on the program. I just don't want my kids being "witnessed" to under the gross misconception that catholics aren't christian. I'm not sure if that is the angle of FCA or not. That's why I'm asking.

Having kids make up their own mind when they're children.....well, that's a completely different topic. Does that mean you would have no problem w/ your kids attending a catholic camp where they would attend Mass?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Hi Beth Ann,

I was raised as a devout Catholic kid. One of my best friends was a pretty hard core, bible believing, fundamentalist protestant. I went to church with him a few times, summer camp a couple of times as well.

It was fascinating to me to see that while we were both christian, there were differences between what we believed and what we were taught. Among other things, he was taught that catholicism was a cult, and catholics not truly saved.

In any case, as I got older I started to do some research, reading the bible, commentaries, church fathers, etc, all in an effort to make sense of these differences.

Long story short, that is what led to my decision that christianity was not rational, god probably did not exist, and ultimately my atheism.

Obviously I am not saying that this will happen to your kids. Personally I think that exposing people of all ages to multiple viewpoints is interesting and valuable.
Sounds like you've done alot of searching.....I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am not really sure what your issue is with saying that Jesus Christ is savior. If your kids are Christians then I am sure they do say that Jesus Christ is the savior, right? So, instead of arguing the finer points, why not just say, "Yes, my children believe that Jesus is the savior who died for our sins." That is the heart of the issue anyway. You had them baptised because of your belief in Christ. You take sacraments because of your devotion to Christ.

Anyway, the FCA is a wonderful group. My boys have done soccer through them before.

Dawn
Exactly. Of course, we accept Christ as our Savior....it's the crux of Christian faith.

Im not trying to make a big deal out of nothing.....that's why I've sent them to FCA camps before (even if they've been in the minority, as catholics). But, I was wondering, like stretch posted, if the view of FCA is that catholics are not christian and need to be saved. Basically, are they ecumenical in nature, respecting other Christians, or do they view catholics as non-believers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality