Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:06 PM

222 posts, read 581,949 times

Advertisements

Sorry for provocative subject, because I was unable to invent anything better. This question was inspired by this article:

Quote:
Jose Mar Flores, 44, told police that he was inspired to hijack the aeroplane because the date - 9-9-9 - is the satanic number 666 turned upside down, said Genaro Garcia Luna, Mexico's security minister. He later told police his three companions were "the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."
Flores was carrying a Bible and said he had "had a revelation that Mexico was facing a great danger", Mr Garcia Luna said.
"Christ is coming soon," he added, smiling.

[SIZE=2]Mexico plane hijacking: Bolivian priest used juice can 'bomb' - Telegraph[/SIZE]
My point is that those kinds of crimes could be done mostly by religious fanatics. Atheists or agnostics would never do such things.. Would they?

P.S. Two Christian guys at my work was extremely pissed when I showed them this article.. Apparently they believe that atheists are evil and religion is cool. If I'm saying that atheists committing less crimes (better) then religious people then their reaction is "it is all atheist propaganda", "lie" etc.
So I decided to put this touchy subject on internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,171,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Sorry for provocative subject, because I was unable to invent anything better. This question was inspired by this article:

My point is that those kinds of crimes could be done mostly by religious fanatics. Atheists or agnostics would never do such things.. Would they?

P.S. Two Christian guys at my work was extremely pissed when I showed them this article.. Apparently they believe that atheists are evil and religion is cool. If I'm saying that atheists committing less crimes (better) then religious people then it is "propaganda", "lie" etc.
so I decided to put this touchy subject on internet.
Of course an atheist might do that. Being an atheist doesn't make you immune to irrational decisions.

But then you have the small minority of crazy religious fundamentalist, who fly planes into buildings. It's hard press to think that an atheist would sacrifice his/her life unless it was to save love ones or a lot of people.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,802,216 times
You're right, almost every crime is by a religious extremist.

Atheists are near perfect, and you never, ever hear of them committing any crimes like the religious nuts do. Atheists are only good, they don't have the bad in them that religionists do.

Way to go! You've figured out the mystery of crime!

lol

Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Let's stick to the facts. When atheist hijacked and airplane in the name of Atheism?
When religious people hijacked airplane in the name of <put name of the religion>?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
But then you have the small minority of crazy religious fundamentalist, who fly planes into buildings.
Small? How small? I would say it rather big..

Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
BergenCountyJohnny wrote:
Quote:
Atheists are only good, they don't have the bad in them that religionists do.
Is religionists actually a word? I didn't find it in the dictionary but I did find religiosity which is a word that apparently isn't used very often. However, I will agree with your basic point and agree that religious people and atheists probably have about the same amount of human faults and weaknesses which really have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they believe in God.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Agree with that. But if we will add to the ordinary crimes religious crimes then would not it change the picture?
Atheist => Normal crimes;
"Religionist" => Normal crimes + Crimes in the name of religion;

Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Let's stick to the facts. When atheist hijacked and airplane in the name of Atheism?
When religious people hijacked airplane in the name of <put name of the religion>?

Small? How small? I would say it rather big..
I agree, but it does not mean that an atheist won't do stupid things...

1million people worldwide, tops - just a guess. Compared to the total population, it is rather small.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
BergenCountyJohnny wrote:

Is religionists actually a word? I didn't find it in the dictionary but I did find religiosity which is a word that apparently isn't used very often. However, I will agree with your basic point and agree that religious people and atheists probably have about the same amount of human faults and weaknesses which really have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they believe in God.
Religionist Definition | Definition of Religionist at Dictionary.com

Old 09-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:

P.S. Two Christian guys at my work was extremely pissed when I showed them this article.. Apparently they believe that atheists are evil and religion is cool. If I'm saying that atheists committing less crimes (better) then religious people then their reaction is "it is all atheist propaganda", "lie" etc.
So I decided to put this touchy subject on internet.
Read this and stop being so blindly hateful and irrational...

Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history | csmonitor.com

Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Read this and stop being so blindly hateful and irrational...

Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history | csmonitor.com
Dogma and ignorance is the real force behind the mass murders of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality