Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I love how you shortened that verse,very convenient.
Incredibly convenient, particularly since that particular verse has nothing to do with swearing in the sense of cursing. Swearing, as you find it in Numbers 32:10 is used in the sense of "promising," as in, making an oath. (Then again, taking Biblical verse out of context in order to "prove" something is quite common, n'est-ce pas?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Are you serious?
Wow! I thought everyone on this planet had access to a Bible.
That's a very American-centred belief. Personally (Belgium), I don't own a Bible and most people I know probably don't either. Catholics don't put as much importance in reading the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating
Now, Missy, what do you have to say about Miss Shawn's quote below???? She actually called you (and others) an "idiot" and that you (and others) have a LACK of vocabulary! Wow!!! What are YOU and the other "it's ok, get over it" people going to say to her?????
If you disagree with her, why don't you write your own posts?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Mercury Cougar:
Ok, first of all this is MY Thread!
Second: He IS telling you what to do! He stated "trying to tell people about their language" (they won't listen). Oh well, enough about that quote!
Now, Missy, what do you have to say about Miss Shawn's quote below???? She actually called you (and others) an "idiot" and that you (and others) have a LACK of vocabulary! Wow!!! What are YOU and the other "it's ok, get over it" people going to say to her?????

I answered Miss Shawn.... she said SOME people, not ALL people like you are. I agreed that SOME people use swear words because of a lack of vocabulary.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Thank you! And it is pretty funny.

Just curious though, why would you expect everyone on the planet to have access to a bible? Only 1/3 of the planet is Christian. Plus I am at work and I don't work at a library or bookstore. And I have no reason to have one at home.
Only the ones who have access to the Internet, since several versions exist online.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Did your IQ drop sharply while I was away? She's not telling me what to say and think. She's welcome to think I'm an idiot for the vocabulary I use, but she's not telling me I can't/shouldn't do it, like you are. You patently do not understand the difference. Now run along and go rock in your chair on the porch and yell at the neighbor kids for walking on your grass.

Oh, and it's not "your" thread. It's a thread on a public internet forum that you just happened to start. That doesn't mean you own it. And, since you've repeatedly said you're leaving, and then have not, I'd have to call that lying.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Mercury Cougar:
Ok, first of all this is MY Thread!
Second: He IS telling you what to do! He stated "trying to tell people about their language" (they won't listen). Oh well, enough about that quote!
It's okay, get over it.

But really dude, calm down. You don't have to RANDOMLY CAPITALIZE words to make YOUR point. And the exclamation marks aren't really needed. Bold and italics works just fine for getting your point across.

As for what Miss Shawn said, she is being rather close-minded. There are plenty of people who are very intelligent and swear like a belligerent drunk or talk like they are sailors. It's all called time and place. Not everyone who swears, does it like they can't help it.

I swear, but not around everyone. For example, my (super) christian friends, family, (most of my) coworkers, etc. It's called respect and decorum. Truth be told, we do have it. Broaden those horizons and bring in some light.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Quote:
Why Do People Swear So Much Today?
Because it's good clean fun!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
**** yeah!

(Did I cuss, or just type asterisks? We may never know. )

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
**** yeah!

(Did I cuss, or just type asterisks? We may never know. )
Way to ****** go!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Your opinion..........just thank God that it's not everyones!
Actually, now I can answer the Thread I started (thanks to Miss Shawn)! I totally agree with her reply. End of story! As for the Christian people who say these words, you need REAL help!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality