Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Look I didn't post this as false information. For your information I saw the BILL. Don't tell me I'm spreading lies invest age your church not me!! I was there I know what I have seen and heard. I'm not a child and have been around the block with this religion.
I'm not putting it down just calling what I have SEEN & HEARD!! You can deny this that's fine because the church members wouldn't have anything to do with me when I called them on it either.
The more I think about it, the "bill" you saw was most likely the year-end tax statement that the Church mails out to all donors. It shows how much they paid the previous year, so they can deduct the donation from their taxes. But I can tell you with absolute certaintly their are no tithing bills sent to members. The idea is so ludicrous its humorous.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,996 times
I’m also calling bull on this one as well. I have never heard Mormons refer to other religions as cults. It just is not done. Our 11th Article of Faith states:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.:

I think what most other christians object to is not the fact that we have a right to worship as we wish but the fact that the mormon church has in fact claimed itself to be the only true church on the face of the earth. It's in church doctrine and it is repeated in the semi-annual conferences. It tends to offend a lot of other folks who believe differently. Kind of a one calling the other kettle black type of situation.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I realize that now. I honestly had you confused with Wildberries and thought he or she was digging up false info. You deserve a public apology. So, I apologize.
I think you should post me a rep point for being so ugly to me lol J/K

Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
[I think what most other christians object to is not the fact that we have a right to worship as we wish but the fact that the mormon church has in fact claimed itself to be the only true church on the face of the earth. It's in church doctrine and it is repeated in the semi-annual conferences. It tends to offend a lot of other folks who believe differently. Kind of a one calling the other kettle black type of situation.
Yes the mormon church does believe it has the fullness of the gospel. But to me that makes sense that Christ would reorganize His church with the fullness of His gospel. The Catholic church also claims it is the one true church. Either one of us is right or we're both in trouble.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
I’m also calling bull on this one as well. I have never heard Mormons refer to other religions as cults. It just is not done. Our 11th Article of Faith states:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.:

I think what most other christians object to is not the fact that we have a right to worship as we wish but the fact that the mormon church has in fact claimed itself to be the only true church on the face of the earth. It's in church doctrine and it is repeated in the semi-annual conferences. It tends to offend a lot of other folks who believe differently. Kind of a one calling the other kettle black type of situation.
Yes ... that is the Church's doctrine. A fundamental precept of the Church is that after Jesus and his Apostles died, the authority and fullness of Christ's gospel were changed by men (a la the Council at Nicea). The Church then teaches the fullness of the Gospel was restored through a modern-day prophet. However, I remember my mom telling me when I was little that all churches have good in them, even if the full gospel is not there. I can understand why someone in another religion would not take kindly to that, but to be honest, it wouldn't be worth standing against the wind and being a Mormon if I didn't believe there was some reason to go to this church and not another. And as Dreameyes pointed out, Catholics also claim to be the sole holders of Priesthood authority. At some level, don't adherants believe his or her chosen religion is what will bring them closest to God? It becomes a matter of faith, I suppose.

Here is a quote from the current LDS prophet -- Gordon B. Hinckley

"We don't downgrade any religion. We recognize the good they all do. I say to those of other faiths: 'You bring all the good that you have and let us see if we can add to it.' Now that's our attitude reduced to a very short statement, and it works"

Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,478 times
I definitely agree with you, but there is only ONE TRUE CHURCH--Catholic. No, I am not a catholic. Catholics found the FIRST ORGANIZED CHRISTIAN RELIGION. The New Testament was written by the catholics and as far as the word church---it means one thing---universal. So all religions sprung from catholcism. Who is to say their faith is the only way--neither, mormons, luterans, baptists, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM

But what about those who believe that there never has been a need to "reorganize" since Christ's Gospel never left the earth? Where does that leave them if they believe that the Bible is correct in all that it says?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
But what about those who believe that there never has been a need to "reorganize" since Christ's Gospel never left the earth? Where does that leave them if they believe that the Bible is correct in all that it says?

Well, that's their belief, and they will follow that path.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM

I definitely agree with you, but there is only ONE TRUE CHURCH--Catholic. No, I am not a catholic. Catholics found the FIRST ORGANIZED CHRISTIAN RELIGION. The New Testament was written by the catholics and as far as the word church---it means one thing---universal. So all religions sprung from catholcism. Who is to say their faith is the only way--neither, mormons, luterans, baptists, etc.

Actually, religion is a man-made thing. Jesus never constructed a church building or a religion in order to bring humanity to Himself....He came to prepare a Way for man to be reconciled with God by dying on the Cross and taking our sins upon Himself. Therefore, all "religions" fall short in some way.

John 11:25; "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shal never die. Do you believe this?"

All it takes is to believe on Him. Pretty simple and uncomplicated.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIAN FRAZIER View Post
Who is to say their faith is the only way--neither, mormons, luterans, baptists, etc.
Well if I'm not mistaken didn't you just?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality