Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 PM

57 posts, read 55,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgy1 View Post
Been noticing the new "LifeGate" commercials on Ch 6 lately. As someone who attended Trinity for about 6 years or so it really breaks my heart to see what has happened. I guess the "new" direction is obey a once good guy turned tyrant or your out the door. I'm sorry I don't have something more positive to offer, it still chaps my butt after all this time. Off topic I know...............Sorry about that.
Who is "you"? Are we talking church discipline or a change in ministry philosophy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post

A major axe many denominations (e.g., Lutherans) have to grind with nondenominational churches is that they tend to intermix Law and Gospel. They take the gifts and freedom that we have in the Gospel and turn it into commands - what we often call works righteousness.
I disagree. I see a lot of the nondemoninational churches that go all grace and don't seem to suggest that obedience should even be a thing to consider.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,834 times
I think Les was okay at one time. How or when or why he changed I cannot say. I would say possibly the "philosophy" changed whenever they came under the "Willow Creek" umbrella. When I see the commercials I see a man with a guilty conscience trying to sweep the old "regime" under the rug. I admittedly have a soft spot for the place, alot happened to me while I was there. I'm not claiming it to be better or worse than any other fellowship in town. My position of service there required me to work with the leadership on a weekly basis. I knew them all fairly well. To see what happened is hard to take at times. I contacted Les and Scaglione and some others at the time of the split, was ignored completely. Now it would seem the warnings by myself and others were ignored. We have come full circle unfortunately...............I haven't looked around much at all for a few years but that's another story for another time. Carry on folks.................

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,546,389 times
the whole willow creek association "philosophy" has turned pastors into Joel Osteen and Tony Robbins wannabees.

Bill Hybels is worshipped and revered in many willow creek association churches more than JESUS and the bible.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 06-11-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
Default It's been a while..

This blog has really offended me, all these people who call themselves "christians" and "there way is right" really represent christ in the wrong light. I mean who are you to JUDGE? It breaks my heart to see people bashing other church's, I'm pretty sure it hurts God's heart too. What GOD is doing in Omaha area churches is up to GOD. and don't pretend like you UNDERSTAND because God is UNFATHOMABLE. It's not for you to judge.. especially when you don't even know. AND even when you want to know, you go about and pull apart a message someone spoke word for word. THAT IS REDICULOUS. WHINY CHRISTIANS=NO CHANGE. be what you are, and do what you say. Change comes not through talking but through doing. BE THE BODY OF CHRIST IN ACTION AND TRUTH. 1John 3:18.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taytodd View Post
This blog has really offended me, all these people who call themselves "christians" and "there way is right" really represent christ in the wrong light. I mean who are you to JUDGE?
I guess we're just like you. Who are YOU to JUDGE anyone else?
Quote:

It breaks my heart to see people bashing other church's, I'm pretty sure it hurts God's heart too.
Likewise, the apostle Paul was wrong to write letters and "bash" false teachers, huh?
Quote:

What GOD is doing in Omaha area churches is up to GOD. and don't pretend like you UNDERSTAND because God is UNFATHOMABLE.
He inspired some men to write in the Bible what he wanted from us. And he told us that we should appoint men able to teach over the churches--and to test the men that teach those things to us.

1Th 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

Quote:
It's not for you to judge.. especially when you don't even know. AND even when you want to know, you go about and pull apart a message someone spoke word for word. THAT IS REDICULOUS. WHINY CHRISTIANS=NO CHANGE. be what you are, and do what you say. Change comes not through talking but through doing. BE THE BODY OF CHRIST IN ACTION AND TRUTH. 1John 3:18.
The same book you quoted, 1 John also states

1Jn 4:1 "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. "

So which is it? Should we just love everyone? Or are we supposed to test them and examine what they are saying?

Last edited by Calvinist; 06-27-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 AM

From time to time I've been critical of Stonebridge Christian church's teachings. I used to attend there for a time. Mark Chitwood, their senior pastor, seems like a heck of a nice guy. Although I've questioned his methods, I have not necessarily seen anything to make me believe he is not an orthodox believer, or that he is teaching heresy.

Their associate pastor, on the other hand, seems to be fascinated with Rob Bell. Recently Jake stated on his blog:

"...I have found it interesting that some critics are so threatened by Bell’s idea that people might still be able to choose to follow God after death."

He goes on:

"Additionally, we’ve got something horribly sideways if we think the only reason to be evangelistic is to save people from hell. As far as I know, Christians still believe that following Jesus is a better way to live, right?"

--- To answer Jake--yes. The primary goal of Christ dying was to rescue sinners and to reconcile them to God. Ultimately God will judge this earth and cast the unrepentant into hell. Afterward, we will live with God in paradise. Perhaps I'm not reading this right, but it seems like you are speculating that perhaps someone can be repentant after death. If so, why do we need a crucified and resurrected Christ?

Jake, I know you monitor this site. I sincerely hope you come on here to repent of your statements. Please clarify your comments of this.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

66 posts, read 102,487 times
Taytodd, this is a troll thread, the original poster definitely speaks to what he thinks "good church's"[sic] are later on down the thread showing his intentions when he posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Does anybody know any good church's to go to on Sunday Mornings around the Omaha Nebraska area
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
doesnt matter when it comes to denomination or part of the city
But there are some actual suggestions in the now 53 pages, so you shouldn't let anybody talk you out of trying them out.

---
Darkwood Brew - Renegade exploration of Christianity's outer edges You might not like it...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
From time to time I've been critical of Stonebridge Christian church's teachings. I used to attend there for a time. Mark Chitwood, their senior pastor, seems like a heck of a nice guy. Although I've questioned his methods, I have not necessarily seen anything to make me believe he is not an orthodox believer, or that he is teaching heresy.

Their associate pastor, on the other hand, seems to be fascinated with Rob Bell. Recently Jake stated on his blog:

"...I have found it interesting that some critics are so threatened by Bell’s idea that people might still be able to choose to follow God after death."

He goes on:

"Additionally, we’ve got something horribly sideways if we think the only reason to be evangelistic is to save people from hell. As far as I know, Christians still believe that following Jesus is a better way to live, right?"

--- To answer Jake--yes. The primary goal of Christ dying was to rescue sinners and to reconcile them to God. Ultimately God will judge this earth and cast the unrepentant into hell. Afterward, we will live with God in paradise. Perhaps I'm not reading this right, but it seems like you are speculating that perhaps someone can be repentant after death. If so, why do we need a crucified and resurrected Christ?

Jake, I know you monitor this site. I sincerely hope you come on here to repent of your statements. Please clarify your comments of this.

calvinist, u gotta realize something:

willow creek association leaders can never admit that Rob Bell or Rick Warren or Bill Hybels are false teachers, cause the 3 of them are sacred cows in the WCA church movement.

I see Jake's site sometimes, and his blind defending of Universalist Rob Bell is troublesome to say the least.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomte View Post
Taytodd, this is a troll thread, the original poster definitely speaks to what he thinks "good church's"[sic] are later on down the thread showing his intentions when he posted:

But there are some actual suggestions in the now 53 pages, so you shouldn't let anybody talk you out of trying them out.

---
Darkwood Brew - Renegade exploration of Christianity's outer edges You might not like it...

darkroom brew is part of the John 14:6 denying Countryside Community Church on pacific street where far left activist and pastor Eric Elnes is pastor.

Countryside is a UCC church (very liberal) or as some call them: Unitarians Choosing Christ

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomte View Post

"good church" is a relative term. Yes, there are some good, and not-so-good churches mentioned in this thread. If you think your church has been incorrectly labeled bad, let's talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality