Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

I became a Christian at the age of 24. I went to church 3 times a week for about 10-11 years. I was a Sunday school teacher, very active with the youth group, ladies activities, etc.

Then after 18 years, I got a divorce. I had married at 17, so I went a bit wild and sowed some oats, and, in the meantime, stopped going to church.

I used to be on these boards, and would debate like crazy over Christianity, and why my beliefs were correct. I would also read a lot of other's posts, and take them to heart. If someone could point out as fact that my beliefs were wrong, I wanted to listen.

This led to my studying and searching. My beliefs now? That the bible is man's word, not God's. That man has had his hand in it so much, and there are so many contradictions, that it can't possibly be God's word anymore. Therefore, how do I know what God said, and what He didn't?

I still believe in a God. The God of the bible? I don't know. I just "have" to believe that somebody/something created this world, and that there is something after this life. Why? I don't know...maybe because I believed it all my life.

There are times I get scared, thinking, what if I'm wrong, and I should be the way I was before, otherwise I'm going to hell? Then I get angry, because I think, one shouldn't worship any God or go through the motions, out of fear. I also have a hard time believing if God is supposed to be love, why would there be any concept of hell?

As for Jesus, I want to believe in Him. However, it's hard to do so, since the only thing I can go off of is the bible.

Anyway...if someone was to ask me my religious affiliation, I would probably answer Christianity. With my new beliefs though, I'm sure most Christians would disagree.

So, besides confused (haha), what would I be considered?

I've been away from these boards for quite a while, so I'd like to say hi to everyone I had the privilege of talking with on here before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
I think you're doing just fine

You're 'healthily religious' - maybe that's a good way to put it. If this helps: While not a fervent Christian anymore, I do enjoy the feeling of awe I get when I visit an old Church, or hear a glorious pipe organ playing, or when I play some JS Bach myself. I enjoy those feelings, and wish I could give up what I have learned and give myself back to my old religion. I'll probably always have something in the back of my mind questioning, wondering, searching - that's human nature, I think. There's something extremely interesting about a topic that can evoke as much emotion as it has in humanity.

There are many approaches to religion, mzjamiedawn, and labelling yourself is probably not a good idea. I just finished a lecture on an Introduction to the Study of Religion, and the professor made it pretty clear that limiting yourself to a theory essentially (saying "I am a Marxist, I am a Baptist, I am etc, etc") is ... well, limiting. It puts you in a category that only allows you to think a certain way, and any contrary or different ideas that come your way will appear as an attack on your chosen theory, or label. This is the danger in any dogmatic stance in which we label ourselves.

I certainly don't have a label for myself - only descriptors occasionally when others make the mistake of thinking I have chosen a dogmatic philosophical or religious stance.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Hey there. I remember you. Wow, that's quite a new mindset. For any of us who were at one time Christians, it can be difficult to let go. For me, I always questioned what I was being told, looked for answers and found those answers were often quite contrary to what priests or preachers were saying, so letting go was inevitable I think.

Still believe in a god? Well, all I can give you is my own example. I believe there is a "something." I don't know what it is. Is it a god in the traditional sense, a spirit being but so far beyond us that we cannot begin to comprehend or even hear, a disintersted spirit, some sort of "force," or is it just a part of nature that we don't understand at this time? I just don't know.

As I believe that this something is there, but cannot prove it and, therefore, do not know if it is there or what it is, by default, that puts me under a category sometimes called an agnostic theist. It's a good a term as anything else I suppose.

Because I believe that all religions are man's best attempt at explaining the something, I chose to follow the traditional beliefs of my people...the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma.

I don't know if this has helped at all, but maybe you are of a similar mind...except for the Comanche part. Good luck on your search for the path that is right for you!

Last edited by Fullback32; 12-02-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I became a Christian at the age of 24. I went to church 3 times a week for about 10-11 years. I was a Sunday school teacher, very active with the youth group, ladies activities, etc.

Then after 18 years, I got a divorce. I had married at 17, so I went a bit wild and sowed some oats, and, in the meantime, stopped going to church.

I used to be on these boards, and would debate like crazy over Christianity, and why my beliefs were correct. I would also read a lot of other's posts, and take them to heart. If someone could point out as fact that my beliefs were wrong, I wanted to listen.

This led to my studying and searching. My beliefs now? That the bible is man's word, not God's. That man has had his hand in it so much, and there are so many contradictions, that it can't possibly be God's word anymore. Therefore, how do I know what God said, and what He didn't?

I still believe in a God. The God of the bible? I don't know. I just "have" to believe that somebody/something created this world, and that there is something after this life. Why? I don't know...maybe because I believed it all my life.

There are times I get scared, thinking, what if I'm wrong, and I should be the way I was before, otherwise I'm going to hell? Then I get angry, because I think, one shouldn't worship any God or go through the motions, out of fear. I also have a hard time believing if God is supposed to be love, why would there be any concept of hell?

As for Jesus, I want to believe in Him. However, it's hard to do so, since the only thing I can go off of is the bible.

Anyway...if someone was to ask me my religious affiliation, I would probably answer Christianity. With my new beliefs though, I'm sure most Christians would disagree.

I've been away from these boards for quite a while, so I'd like to say hi to everyone I had the privilege of talking with on here before!
my opinion (as if it's worth the electricity to spell it out in pixels) .... is that you were converted to a church, and you were very active, had a great time, became part of the movement...etc..etc......

But when push came to shove and you were able to go off and do what you wanted...you did. I think you had church..but you weren't really a follower of Jesus. I'm sure you were absolutely sincere in your belief...but you just weren't truly converted. You were a false convert. That doesn't mean you were a bad person necessarily---I was one myself for a few years.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
You should PM board member Ilene Wright - she has been going through a very similar experience that you have been, and she might have some good bits of information for you.

I'd say just keep on the path you're on now: seek answers, and don't get bogged down in trying to come up with a label for yourself.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
mzjaimedawn,

Welcome back! I don't know how useful labels are anyway, especially when it comes to a unique collection of beliefs.

We have had a number of former, mainstream Christians, who recently backed off the mainstream part post here recently. Maybe some of them will chime in to this thread.

I am a former Mormon, who turned atheist/agnostic about 5 and a half years ago.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

Hey Jamie, I remember you! You're probably considered an agnostic like me now, or a deist. I don't claim Christianity any longer because of my disbelief in the Bible. If you remember, I was a very staunch fundamentalist at one time. I sure can't give any advice because I'm still pretty confused myself but I agree we can't worship something we don't believe in simply out of fear. That's how we got in this mess in the first place!!

ETA: You might remember me better as DayoftheLord. <sigh>

Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I think you're doing just fine

You're 'healthily religious' - maybe that's a good way to put it. If this helps: While not a fervent Christian anymore, I do enjoy the feeling of awe I get when I visit an old Church, or hear a glorious pipe organ playing, or when I play some JS Bach myself. I enjoy those feelings, and wish I could give up what I have learned and give myself back to my old religion. I'll probably always have something in the back of my mind questioning, wondering, searching - that's human nature, I think. There's something extremely interesting about a topic that can evoke as much emotion as it has in humanity.

There are many approaches to religion, mzjamiedawn, and labelling yourself is probably not a good idea. I just finished a lecture on an Introduction to the Study of Religion, and the professor made it pretty clear that limiting yourself to a theory essentially (saying "I am a Marxist, I am a Baptist, I am etc, etc") is ... well, limiting. It puts you in a category that only allows you to think a certain way, and any contrary or different ideas that come your way will appear as an attack on your chosen theory, or label. This is the danger in any dogmatic stance in which we label ourselves.

I certainly don't have a label for myself - only descriptors occasionally when others make the mistake of thinking I have chosen a dogmatic philosophical or religious stance.

Hope that helps!
Every once in a great while I go back to my old congregation. It's wonderful to see everyone, and I really miss the singing!

I like the idea of not limiting myself. I definitely do not like the idea of teaching my kids a certain way one denomination thinks. I want them to read the bible for themselves, and decide on their own what they believe about it, so I'd say I agree with the professor.

Thank you for your help!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Hey there. I remember you. Wow, that's quite a new mindset. For any of us who were at one time Christians, it can be difficult to let go. For me, I always questioned what I was being told, looked for answers and found those answers were often quite contrary to what priests or preachers were saying, so letting go was inevitable I think.

Still believe in a god? Well, all I can give you is my own example. I believe there is a "something." I don't know what it is. Is it a god in the traditional sense, a spirit being but so far beyond us that we cannot begin to comprehend or even hear, a disintersted spirit, some sort of "force," or is it just a part of nature that we don't understand at this time? I just don't know.

As I believe that this something is there, but cannot prove it and, therefore, do not know if it is there or what it is, by default, that puts me under a category sometimes called an agnostic theist. It's a good a term as anything else I suppose.

Because I believe that all religions are man's best attempt at explaining the something, I chose to follow the traditional beliefs of my people...the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma.

I don't know if this has helped at all, but maybe you are of a similar mind...except for the Comanche part. Good luck on your search for the path that is right for you!
Wow. That's how I feel almost exactly! Thank you so much for the kind words. Anything out of Oklahoma is good.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
my opinion (as if it's worth the electricity to spell it out in pixels) .... is that you were converted to a church, and you were very active, had a great time, became part of the movement...etc..etc......

But when push came to shove and you were able to go off and do what you wanted...you did. I think you had church..but you weren't really a follower of Jesus. I'm sure you were absolutely sincere in your belief...but you just weren't truly converted. You were a false convert. That doesn't mean you were a bad person necessarily---I was one myself for a few years.
Thank you very much for your opinion. I may not agree with you, but that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality