Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I believe the Bible, all 66 books, is the Word of God. I believe it is all truth. I believe different books of the Bible were written in different styles. For example, I believe Genesis is historical narrative, where I believe Psalms are poetry. You do not read and interpret poetry the same as historical narrative. They have to be read for what they are and interpreted within the proper context. We must study to ensure we are rightly dividing the Word (2 Timothy 2:15). A basic principle of Scriptural interpretation is that Scripture interprets Scripture. That is why I am confident in what I believe about, as an example, Genesis. It is consistent with the rest of Scripture.

Like I posted somewhere else -- the "days" in Genesis 1 are meant to be literal days because Genesis is historical narrative. Whereas, in 2nd Peter he uses a simile to explain how God is ouside time when he wrote "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." He was not giving a definition of the length of a day.
That's what JerZ is asking for. And honestly,.....

I think it's what God is asking for too.

Good post, mams.<Can't give ya reps right now, I've given them too recently>

Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So the Bible can either be trusted as true...or it can't. With the errors or the margin of incredulity which many Christians themselves profess ("Well, of course a snake can't talk!"), I think "trusted as true" is out.
Also, just so everyone (JerZ included) knows where I stand on this issue. I agree on what's bolded above and very much disagree with what isn't bolded above.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Also, just so everyone (JerZ included) knows where I stand on this issue. I agree on what's bolded above and very much disagree with what isn't bolded above.
Amen me too.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
Are you assuming these were all full grown animals? There are many explanations on the ark. Here's a couple of sites that explain it well. After, all were talking about God and HE can just get er done!!http://www.faithalone.com/noahs_ark.html (broken link)
http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/595/

Old 05-25-2007, 09:50 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
Quote:
Ah, the threats, the threats, always the threats. "Jesus is the lamb, and the prince of peace, and God loves us with an aching burning love we can't even imagine. WHAT? You don't believe me? Well then, just wait until you're dead. You'll probably be singing a different tune when this all-loving creator throws you into a pit and allows you to suffer and burn endlessly, for an eternity."

Fabulous. Yes, THAT'S the religion I want to hang MY star on.
What's really needed from God is to not wait until your dead to know HIM!! Even if you don't understand the Bible the first thing is you MUST be open to The Father to even begin to understand.
Sometimes we think we are right with God when in reality we are not even beginning to listen. When we begin to hear what God wants us to know about the Bible we will each fall in line!!
When I started I didn't understand what most thought they knew. When I really decided I was reading for my understanding. Man, did the doors fly open.
God has even placed people in some strange places to share the love they have for God and I know this wasn't by accident!!! If you are a child of God you are going to HEAVEN period. If you never know HIM what else do you expect!! I would hang MY HALO(if I had one) on this religion GOD is PERFECT!!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 AM

954 posts, read 813,560 times
[quote=urbanlemur;775167]
Quote:
In regards to Noah and the ark and the number of animals, here is a thought. Noah and the family were to take a pair of each animal with them into the ark. Well, if they took only two of each, what happens when they have to eat? The species would not have lasted long so God said to take seven of the clean animals (ones they could eat) so as to have food while saving the pairs for reintroduction.
Why did the animals have to eat? Why could this Omnimax god not suspend their need for food during the flood period? Such a simple thing for an Omnimax god to do. Why did all the animals have to come from all over the world to one place? Your Omnimax god could have created a situation where the animals could breathe under water for the period of the flood. After all, nothing is impossible for your god is it?

Quote:
Matthew 27 states that Judas gave the money back to the leaders and that they bought the field. The other Gospels do not mention it. In Acts, they speak of Judas as having bought the field with money received for betraying Jesus. Even though he gave the money back to the leaders, it was money that he had given them which they did not want. After Judas' death, it was called the Field of Blood since Judas died and his blood was spilled there.
Mattew says the priests bought the field, Acts say Judas bought the field. It's still a contradiction which ever way you look at it..........and what about the contradiction regarding his death. Did he hang himself or did he die when his bowels split open? No 'personal interpretations' please. Do as you normally do and quote scripture to prove what you are saying!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:14 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Jeremiah 1:9: Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth."

Jeremiah 26:2: Thus says the Lord: "Stand in the court of the Lord's house, and speak to all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the Lord's house, all the words that I command you to speak to them. Do not diminish a word."

Jeremiah: Thus speaks the Lord God of Israel, saying: "Write in a book for yourself all the words that I have spoken to you."

Jeremiah 36:4: Then Jeremiah called Baruch the son of Neriah; and Baruch wrote on a scroll of a book, at the instruction of Jeremiah, all the words of the Lord which He had spoken to him.

Exodus 24:4: And Moses wrote all the words of the Lord. And he rose early in the morning, and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Exodus 34:27: Then the Lord said to Moses, "Write these words, for according to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.''

Thessalonians 2:13: For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.

Do you all then believe literally that the OT and that the NT were direct words of God? Because if not, if you doubt any of it or think it's an allegory, then you doubt all of it.
Huh? How do you figure that?

Quote:
I have heard so many people say the Adam and Eve story might be "allegorical" but "still the truth". THE ABOVE SCRIPTURE DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS. AT ALL.
I've read through those verses you posted twice now, and I don't see that. Am I misunderstanding your point? None of those verses had anything to do with Adam and Eve, nor do they address allegory or metaphor. Did I miss something? (I came in late, and I admit I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread.)

Quote:
It says it is THE LITERAL WORD OF GOD.
Where? I don't see it.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:19 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
I believe the Bible, all 66 books, is the Word of God.
But my Bible has 73 books. Sorry, that's another can of worms.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've read through those verses you posted twice now, and I don't see that. Am I misunderstanding your point?
^------------Yes.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-26-2007 at 12:54 AM..

Old 05-26-2007, 12:29 AM

954 posts, read 813,560 times
Quote:
I believe the Bible, all 66 books, is the Word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But my Bible has 73 books. Sorry, that's another can of worms.
Love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality