Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
There is a difference between stating that a practice of a certain religion is viewed as blasphemous and insulting a person. Remember the forum rule of "debate the topic not the person." If it is someones opinion then we should allow them to state it.
I don't think dreameyes would mind me saying that many people have posted critical opinions of the LDS faith and she did not take it personally, but defended her faith passionately!
Well if you go back to the LDS thread you will see that not only did I defend Mormons as Christian, but never insulted the faith as well, and I would say I do not believe in a lot of their doctrine. I hold others to the standards I try to live by. To say that someone's belief is blasphemous is the same as calling the person who holds that belief a blasphemer. It is insulting. It's the same as if I were to refer as fundementalists as "bible beaters" or Jehovah Witness as "a cult"....etc. So in this case I feel I am correct in stating that the remark is personally offensive to Catholics. There are much better ways to reference disagreements in beliefs than to call names.

Last edited by irishmom; 05-30-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have no problem with you not agreeing that it is literally the body/blood of Christ, but I do have a problem with you resorting insulting Catholics, or anyone else, for their beliefs. I would have expected more from you. I would hope that as (presumably) intelligent adults and (hopefully) good Christians the beliefs of others would be respected and such insults (blasphmous, idolatry) would not be resorted to in the future.
I am not insulting Catholics. As a former Catholic I am sharing my viewpoint regarding the beliefs that religion holds. I completely disagree with the Catholic religion and personally felt extremely deceived by practices such as praying to Mary, saints, the Eucharist etc. I am not speaking against any one person, I am speaking against the people who invented these ideas to be a revenue stream for the Catholic religion. That is my belief and if it insults you I do apologize as it's not meant to be mean spirited toward you or any other CD person who reads this post.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
You know...on this forum I've heard an awful lot of "I just want people to know the truth of Jesus so they can be saved...Jesus instructed us to spread the word," but honestly, people, if you can't even agree amongst yourselves, how on earth do you expect other people to agree with you?

Which of you are we supposed to agree with?

Sorry to say, this is an incredibly divisive religion, even among its own ranks.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
I suggest anyone who is truly seeking to look to God's word for the answers not man or a religion's doctrine. People will disappoint but God never will.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I am not insulting Catholics. As a former Catholic I am sharing my viewpoint regarding the beliefs that religion holds. I completely disagree with the Catholic religion and personally felt extremely deceived by practices such as praying to Mary, saints, the Eucharist etc. I am not speaking against any one person, I am speaking against the people who invented these ideas to be a revenue stream for the Catholic religion. That is my belief and if it insults you I do apologize as it's not meant to be mean spirited toward you or any other CD person who reads this post.
Again I do not have a problem with your oppinions on the church or it's teaching. I do have a problem with using a derrogatory and inflammatory word to describe the Church and therefore it's followers. It was pointed out in earlier threads that myself and another Catholic posting here did indeed find it offensive, and you used it again anyway. That is a lack of respect in my eyes. If you had posted your oppinion in the way you did here in this post it wouldn't have offended me as a Catholic, or an individual, and it would have made your point stronger. I really dont' see how you don't understand the difference.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I suggest anyone who is truly seeking to look to God's word for the answers not man or a religion's doctrine. People will disappoint but God never will.
By God's word I am assuming you are referring to the bible right? Well since the doctrine's of most denominations of Christianity are their way of interpreting God's words how is that not looking to God as you are referring to? Isn't it much the same as someone reading for themselves coming to a belief about what it means, sharing that belief with others who then decide they agree with that belief? This of course is assuming all have actually read and come to conclusions not just followed along and said ok I'll believe this, and believe me I'm not saying that is right either. I just don't see why there are so many differences in what is to be believed between the denominations, and how that all happens. I probably won't ever understand it, but I plan on trying.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:39 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
The Bible came to us through the Church. I don't know of anyone who got their Bible straight out of heaven or angel-delivery service. You have the Bible because of the Church.

So it makes no sense to me to take the Church's Bible, which you have because the Church assures you it is true, then discount the teachings of the Church. That makes no logical sense to me.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
Quote:
I don't think dreameyes would mind me saying that many people have posted critical opinions of the LDS faith and she did not take it personally, but defended her faith passionately!
Thankyou spunky. I appreciate that!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Bible came to us through the Church. I don't know of anyone who got their Bible straight out of heaven or angel-delivery service. You have the Bible because of the Church.

So it makes no sense to me to take the Church's Bible, which you have because the Church assures you it is true, then discount the teachings of the Church. That makes no logical sense to me.
Sort of glad that I've been out on this one. But I agree with Mark "Big S" on this one. This is something that I have never understood either.

Oh, and I suggested this in a thread a few days ago. It became a nice social, but never took off in the postings. It was "who are you". I thought it would be nice to clarify who we were at the beginning of post so that we knew where a persons belief system was coming from. For instance,

Weather...Christian, Catholic

Can't we all just get along?

Love ya all. Gotta get back to recovering...

Weather...

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Only by the lives of the beautiful and faithful martyrs do we have the Bible in a language we can read. Until Wycliff's translation and subsequent distribution to those outside the 'church', the only scripture allowed was in Latin. We take having our Bibles so casually, yet men died for us to have it. And we shouldn't take someone else's verification without our own study of what is truth.

II Timothy 2:15 -- Study! ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality