Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Neither one of those quotes say that Noah or god warned others about it. Hebrews 11 seems to specifically point out the opposite. It seems to me that the only person twisting scriptures is you.
What do you think a "preacher of righteousness" does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Whoah that's a huuuge stretch there jimmiej.

It's not in the bible that noah went around telling the whole world to get on his boat because god was going unlawfully murder them all for not following the rules he hadn't yet handed out to people. Scriptures please, not extremely liberal interpretations of irrelevant data.

I also want to know what justified this mass genocide. Even the god of the OT eventually realized it was a mistake so why are believers so quick to praise this extermination?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Answer my question please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What do you think a "preacher of righteousness" does?
Quote:
Whoah that's a huuuge stretch there jimmiej.

It's not in the bible that noah went around telling the whole world to get on his boat because god was going unlawfully murder them all for not following the rules he hadn't yet handed out to people. Scriptures please, not extremely liberal interpretations of irrelevant data.

I also want to know what justified this mass genocide. Even the god of the OT eventually realized it was a mistake so why are believers so quick to praise this extermination?
The Adam Clarke Commentary

Verse 5. The wickedness of man was great
What an awful character does God give of the inhabitants of the antediluvian world! 1. They were flesh, 6:3,) wholly sensual, the desires of the mind overwhelmed and lost in the desires of the flesh, their souls no longer discerning their high destiny, but ever minding earthly things, so that they were sensualized, brutalized, and become flesh; incarnated so as not to retain God in their knowledge, and they lived, seeking their portion in this life. 2. They were in a state of wickedness. All was corrupt within, and all unrighteous without; neither the science nor practice of religion existed. Piety was gone, and every form of sound words had disappeared. 3. This wickedness was great rabbah, "was multiplied;" it was continually increasing and multiplying increase by increase, so that the whole earth was corrupt before God, and was filled with violence, 6:11 profligacy among the lower, and cruelty and oppression among the higher classes, being only predominant. 4. All the imaginations of their thoughts were evil-the very first embryo of every idea, the figment of every thought, the very materials out of which perception, conception, and ideas were formed, were all evil; the fountain which produced them, with every thought, purpose, wish, desire, and motive, was incurably poisoned. 5. All these were evil without any mixture of good-the Spirit of God which strove with them was continually resisted, so that evil had its sovereign sway. 6. They were evil continually-there was no interval of good, no moment allowed for serious reflection, no holy purpose, no righteous act. What a finished picture of a fallen soul! Such a picture as God alone, who searches the heart and tries the spirit, could possibly give. 7. To complete the whole, God represents himself as repenting because he had made them, and as grieved at the heart because of their iniquities! Had not these been voluntary transgressions, crimes which they might have avoided, had they not grieved and quenched the Spirit of God, could he speak of them in the manner he does here? 8. So incensed is the most holy and the most merciful God, that he is determined to destroy the work of his hands: And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created; Genesis 6:7. How great must the evil have been, and how provoking the transgressions, which obliged the most compassionate God, for the vindication of his own glory, to form this awful purpose! Fools make a mock at sin, but none except fools.

Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible

Verses 1-7 The most remarkable thing concerning the old world, is the destroying of it by the deluge, or flood. We are told of the abounding iniquity of that wicked world: God's just wrath, and his holy resolution to punish it. In all ages there has been a peculiar curse of God upon marriages between professors of true religion and its avowed enemies. The evil example of the ungodly party corrupts or greatly hurts the other. Family religion is put an end to, and the children are trained up according to the worldly maxims of that parent who is without the fear of God. If we profess to be the sons and daughters of the Lord Almighty, we must not marry without his consent. He will never give his blessing, if we prefer beauty, wit, wealth, or worldly honours, to faith and holiness. The Spirit of God strove with men, by sending Enoch, Noah, and perhaps others, to preach to them; by waiting to be gracious, notwithstanding their rebellions; and by exciting alarm and convictions in their consciences. But the Lord declared that his Spirit should not thus strive with men always; he would leave them to be hardened in sin, and ripened for destruction. This he determined on, because man was flesh: not only frail and feeble, but carnal and depraved; having misused the noble powers of his soul to gratify his corrupt inclinations. God sees all the wickedness that is among the children of men; it cannot be hid from him now; and if it be not repented of, it shall be made known by him shortly. The wickedness of a people is great indeed, when noted sinners are men renowned among them. Very much sin was committed in all places, by all sorts of people. Any one might see that the wickedness of man was great: but God saw that every imagination, or purpose, of the thoughts of man's heart, was only evil continually. This was the bitter root, the corrupt spring. The heart was deceitful and desperately wicked; the principles were corrupt; the habits and dispositions evil. Their designs and devices were wicked. They did evil deliberately, contriving how to do mischief. There was no good among them. God saw man's wickedness as one injured and wronged by it. He saw it as a tender father sees the folly and stubbornness of a rebellious and disobedient child, which grieves him, and makes him wish he had been childless. The words here used are remarkable; they are used after the manner of men, and do not mean that God can change, or be unhappy. Does God thus hate our sin? And shall not we be grieved to the heart for it? Oh that we may look on Him whom we have grieved, and mourn! God repented that he had made man; but we never find him repent that he redeemed man. God resolves to destroy man: the original word is very striking, 'I will wipe off man from the earth,' as dirt or filth is wiped off from a place which should be clean, and is thrown to the dunghill, the proper place for it. God speaks of man as his own creature, when he resolves upon his punishment. Those forfeit their lives who do not answer the end of their living. God speaks of resolution concerning men, after his Spirit had been long striving with them in vain. None are punished by the justice of God, but those who hate to be reformed by the grace of God.

Jude

14Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." 16These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
It's not in the bible that noah went around telling the whole world to get on his boat because god was going unlawfully murder them all for not following the rules he hadn't yet handed out to people.
Excellent point!

Quote:

Verse 5. The wickedness of man was great
"I will destroy man whom I have created"

So did this omnimax deity not foresee all this and if he did, why did he bother to 'create' something that he knew he would have to destroy?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Excellent point!
I wonder how Noah knew to be righteous...

Quote:
"I will destroy man whom I have created"

So did this omnimax deity not foresee all this and if he did, why did he bother to 'create' something that he knew he would have to destroy?
Sin is a choice. Noah was righteous. The rest of humankind thumbed their nose at God. God is patient. There comes a time however, when God's patience runs out.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Poof; they're gone!

Fortunately, unlike the Noah parable figure, I don't have to worry. One: I haven't "sinned". Two: He doesn't exist for me, so I'm not going to hear his calling. Three: What a bizarre way to discipline the world, esp. all those innocents who would have perished.

I thoroughly expect those who are easily led in mass hysteria to "see" something in the future and respond en-masse to it, running off cliffs, or into churches, as, let's say, a meteorite "approacheth". The sad thing for them will be that final realization, just before that meteorite "hitteth", that no-one came to save them.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
People just don't get it,approximately 4 billion -wake up people,wake up,death is like a thief in the night. We are just a vapor.

We are all sinners saved by grace,if one states that he or she is not of sin, that person is a liar.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I wonder how Noah knew to be righteous...

Sin is a choice. Noah was righteous. The rest of humankind thumbed their nose at God. God is patient. There comes a time however, when God's patience runs out.
Didn't answer the question did it. The question was "So did this omnimax deity not foresee all this and if he did, why did he bother to 'create' something that he knew he would have to destroy?"

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post

We are all sinners saved by grace,if one states that he or she is not of sin, that person is a liar.
"Sin" is a transgression against the laws of a god. If gods do not exist then there can be no "sin".

Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
"Sin" is a transgression against the laws of a god. If gods do not exist then there can be no "sin".
No sin means missing the mark as it is an archery term,so if you went a few miles over the speed limit lately or ran a red light you have sinned.

Last edited by noland123; 03-11-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality