Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I was just reading a news article that states that one of the Pope's ushers was implicated in a male prostitution ring. Here's the link:
New Woe for Vatican as Usher Linked to Prostitution - ABC News
After years of scandals involving gay priests who molested young boys this is certainly not the kind of publicity that the Vatican wants to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Just so you know ushers are "lay" people who are basic volunteers in mass services

Yet you projected the crapola out of it. Come on, MT Guy

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

AC wrote:
Quote:
Yet you projected the crapola out of it. Come on, MT Guy
I'm sure this is a big news story in Italy so I don't think I'm trying to sensationalize anything. It's also not about bashing Catholics, I have quite a few Catholic friends. It's just that the issue of homosexuality and the Catholic church have become so intertwined in recent years due to the failure of that institution to address the fundamental problems that they continue to perpetuate. The church proclaims that homosexuality is a sin and yet they've covered up decades of inappropriate behavior by priests and it appears that closeted gay men quite often become priests for reasons I've never quite understood.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
AC wrote:

I'm sure this is a big news story in Italy so I don't think I'm trying to sensationalize anything. It's also not about bashing Catholics, I have quite a few Catholic friends. It's just that the issue of homosexuality and the Catholic church have become so intertwined in recent years due to the failure of that institution to address the fundamental problems that they continue to perpetuate. The church proclaims that homosexuality is a sin and yet they've covered up decades of inappropriate behavior by priests and it appears that closeted gay men quite often become priests for reasons I've never quite understood.
Even if Pope Benedict XVI is caught sodomizing another man, homosexuality is and will be a sin in the doctrine of the catholic church.

There's nothing that's gonna change that.

There's a lay man who has been nabbed. The Vatican definitely does not have the resources available for GE or AIG to perform background checks on employees. Again, this has nothing to do with priests, which is a totally different matter. You find it convenient to intertwine the two

Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
I was just reading a news article that states that one of the Pope's ushers was implicated in a male prostitution ring. Here's the link:
New Woe for Vatican as Usher Linked to Prostitution - ABC News
After years of scandals involving gay priests who molested young boys this is certainly not the kind of publicity that the Vatican wants to see.
I'm sure this has been covered a zillion times in all the forums on the internet including this one, but for one last time WHAT PART OF BEING GAY DOES NOT MAKE A PERSON A CHILD SEX ABUSER DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND????????

Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM

ted08721 wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure this has been covered a zillion times in all the forums on the internet including this one, but for one last time WHAT PART OF BEING GAY DOES NOT MAKE A PERSON A CHILD SEX ABUSER DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND????????
You obviously haven't read many of my posts. I support gay rights and think that we should completely accept gays and lesbians in society and not try to legislate anything that would restrict their ability to live their lives without having to pretend to be something that they're not. The reason I started this thread was to point out the fact that the Catholic church has condemned homosexuals for centuries but they've also hidden abuses that were committed by male members of the church without ever addressing the issue of human sexuality and recognizing that same sex attraction does not result in the downfall of civilization.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I think he understands that quite well. You need to read his post again, and more carefully this time..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
The reason I started this thread was to point out the fact that the Catholic church has condemned homosexuals for centuries but they've also hidden abuses that were committed by male members of the church without ever addressing the issue of human sexuality and recognizing that same sex attraction does not result in the downfall of civilization.
But it could result in the downfall of the RCC if it was to allow that homosexuality was permissible. That is because the Bible says that homosexuality is impermissible for Christians, and no amount of massaging and spin of the texts can alter that.

Any organisation that purports to be Christian has to take some account of that prohibition. All denominations break the 'Bible rules', one way or another, but there's a limit to how many they can break, how many ideas they can introduce that are thought to be superstitious or man-made, before it becomes impossible to believe that they have anything to do with the Bible. If that limit has been reached, there's no realistic prospect of change.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
But it could result in the downfall of the RCC if it was to allow that homosexuality was permissible. That is because the Bible says that homosexuality is impermissible for Christians, and no amount of massaging and spin of the texts can alter that.
Actually no, that is a mistranslation. The original texts actually refer to male temple prostitution, not homosexuality as we know it today.

Paul's use of the words malakoi and arsenokoitai (http://fogarty.org/tim/gay_issues/word_arsenokoitai.html - broken link)
HOMOSEXUALITY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT: CONSERVATIVE AND LIBERAL VIEWS

Likewise, same sex relationships were in fact well accepted by the early Christian church:

When Same-Sex Marriage Was A Christian*Rite - Blog - Jinxi Boo

Old 03-05-2010, 06:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Actually no, that is a mistranslation.
Write and tell the Vatican, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality