Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your oppinion on Creation?
You're a heretic for even asking this question! 5 5.75%
I believe in 7 day creation, but I don't think the days were literal 24 hour days. 16 18.39%
I believe that God created the earth, but used evolution to get us where we are now. 19 21.84%
Other 47 54.02%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
That is a bit testy. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. But I am not stating opinion, I am relating scientific fact. You may choose to ignore that, but it does not change the actual fact.
Did you catch the edit comment at the bottom of my post? I didn't realize the word "not" was slipped in there until I proofread my post. My mistake, and I apologize. I didn't mean to sound "testy".

Quote:
No, sorry. Your thought does not qualify as a hypothesis, because it does not actually explain any "facts or phenomena."

Rather you are proposing something to try and fit a preconceived notion, namely that of a literal 6 day (of some length) creation.
Stretch, READ the definition of "hypothesis" again. Sheesh. A hypothesis, by definition, does NOT explain a fact. A hypothesis is a CONCEPT which, IF verified, COULD explain.......

I am NOT going rounds with you on this subject all night, with you constantly trying to throw me off by nitpicking my posts. I'm sorry you have some "preconceived" notion that God doesn't exist, but as I've stated before, you CANNOT prove He doesn't. Simply because you can't OBSERVE Him does NOT mean He isn't there. For all we know, there is intelligent life that exists somewhere OUTSIDE our known universe, but you CANNOT prove it doesn't exist simply because you don't see it. I'm done going back and forth with you.

NOW you can accuse me of sounding testy.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 06-07-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
beamseight wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what term would you apply to the "time" before the Big Bang?
Einstein proved that time was much different than anyone could have imagined. It's not an ongoing function that happens in the absence of everything else. Before the big bang there was no time because nothing existed. I'll be the first to admit that we're completely clueless about what process could have caused the big bang and explain the beginnings of the universe. I don't know if that's something we'll ever be able to determine and we might not even be able to comprehend it. We do know something about the nature of time though and can rule out the idea of a time before the big bang.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Did you catch the edit comment at the bottom of my post? I didn't realize the word "not" was slipped in there until I proofread my post. My mistake, and I apologize. I didn't mean to sound "testy".
No, as when I replied you had not yet edited your post. As evidence by my quoting your original, unedited post.

That being said, sounds like a misunderstanding, apology accepted, and offered in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Stretch, READ the definition of "hypothesis" again. Sheesh. A hypothesis, by definition, does NOT explain a fact. A hypothesis is a CONCEPT which, IF verified, COULD explain.......
Definitions, by their very nature, are supposed to be nitpicky. You are right: A hypothesis is a CONCEPT which, IF verified, COULD explain.......
But, you are missing the fact or observation that your hypothesis is supposed to explain. The observation must come first, then develop the hypothesis to explain it. You have not yet had an observation.

But I agree. We get nowhere with this.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Before the big bang there was no time because nothing existed.
Er...what?

If nothing existed prior to the Big Bang, then what...banged?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
Mark S wrote:
Quote:
I don't have the slightest idea. I was really just commenting on the concept of time and how it can't exist independently.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Er...what?

One hypothesis for the banging has to do with quantum theory. Apparently subatomic particles appear and disapper pretty much for no reason. They simply do not follow Newtonian physics.

So, given the fact that nothing existed for an infinite amount of time (although nothing actually happened in that time, so the word time is not entirely accurate), apparently something just sort of went bang. For no reason. Just like subatomic particles, but apparently on a larger scale.

Thus the universe started.

Now, I have no proof from this, and my understanding is extremely amateurish. I will not be be able to defend this to any extent, as I do not have a degree in physics and do not understand the theoretical math behind it. I am not even going to say that this is what I think happened. I truly do not know.

But I am ok with admitting my ignorance on this matter.

Suffice it to say that something probably banged, as we are here, and all evidence seems to point to a universe that had an origin some 14 billion years ago or so.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
On this we definitely agree. 'Day' is such a broad term in the bible. Sometimes it refers to a 24 hour day, sometimes a generation of people ('in the days of those kings'), or an indefinite ammount of time (such as 'the day of the Lord').
Day = yôm in Hebrew. Yes, it can be interpreted, based on context, to be more than a 24-hour period of time. The key is context. When you use yôm with the defining words for 'morning' and 'evening' it always means just one, 24-hour day. This happens 19 times outside of Genesis and each time it means a literal, 24-hour period. Hebrew language scholars at Oxford agree that reading Genesis 1-11 in the manner in which it is written, the writer conveyed yôm to mean a literal, 24-hour day based solely on the text as written, not brining in what you believe it to mean. In Deuteronomy, when God is explaining that man shall work for 6 days and rest on the Sabbath (7th day), this is in direct correlation to creation week. In Genesis a day means a day, not long ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
The bible says also that a 'day to Jehovah is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day'.
In this verse the context tells us it is not attempting to define what a day is. It is a simile. The context is explaining to us that God is outside time. He created time, so he is beyond time. A day <to God> is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day <to God>.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Day = yôm in Hebrew. Yes, it can be interpreted, based on context, to be more than a 24-hour period of time. The key is context. When you use yôm with the defining words for 'morning' and 'evening' it always means just one, 24-hour day. This happens 19 times outside of Genesis and each time it means a literal, 24-hour period. Hebrew language scholars at Oxford agree that reading Genesis 1-11 in the manner in which it is written, the writer conveyed yôm to mean a literal, 24-hour day based solely on the text as written, not brining in what you believe it to mean. In Deuteronomy, when God is explaining that man shall work for 6 days and rest on the Sabbath (7th day), this is in direct correlation to creation week. In Genesis a day means a day, not long ages.

In this verse the context tells us it is not attempting to define what a day is. It is a simile. The context is explaining to us that God is outside time. He created time, so he is beyond time. A day <to God> is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day <to God>.
That's exactly right. Excellent post, mams.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if the day is 24 hours, a thousand years, or some other length of time.

It simply did not happen. Light did not exist before stars, man was not created as such, but rather evolved from other species.
And science has yet to prove evolution happened. Speciation within a kind, yes. Natural selection within kinds, yes. Evolution from goo-to-you-by-way-of-the-zoo? No, and it never will be. Because evolution is a framework of thought, not science. Operational science is science. Evolution is not operational science.

Quote from Dr. Lawrence M. Krauss, physicist and Director of the Center for Education and Research in Cosmology and Astrophysics at Case Western Reserve University: "Evolution provides a remarkable framework within which the current diversity of life on earth can be understood."

Last edited by mams1559; 06-07-2007 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: better define poster's quote

Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times
I really need to start remembering Psalm 14:1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality