Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 09:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
And again, I'm afraid I have no clue how you can compare the organization we use to accomplish God's work to pagan holidays?
Sorry I'm not effectively conveying my point for you. I've done the best I could and I think I'll leave it at that.

Regarding the windows issue, which is particularly interesting to me, FOR ME (and you asked about what it symbolizes to ME)...well...to me it CLEARLY is symbolic of the absence of The Light. At least the God-created Natural Light ie Light of The World. The Holy One of Israel. God Incarnate. Immanuel. The Alpha and The Omega. The First and The Last. Jesus Christ, The Risen King.

But that's JUST MY view. Anyone else can make their own assumptions. I've seen churches with boarded and barred windows....but not ALL churches. It's very peculiar. And, IMO, quite telling.

I hope I've done an effective job conveying to all members of this forum that the views expressed here in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to be derogatory, only observational.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM

49 posts, read 272,340 times
The Kingdom Hall I attend in South Carolina DOES HAVE lots of Windows! I agree with you Alice about the windows. I find myself looking out the window when a car comes by or birds etc.

When I went to different churches I dont think I ever saw a church with a window that was not a stained glass windows that you COULD NOT see out of so what is that suppose to stand for?

I have never seen so many people come up with so many crazy hair brained ideas before in my life!

What I have found very weird in these posts is the fact that almost No one types out the name Jehovah and use JW instead. Jehovah's name WAS in ALL the bibles. My grandmother had a bible that was very old and it was in there 6 times..and then she has another one not so old that has it in there 2 times...and her newest bible had it in there NONE! She always told me growing up you should never take away from the bible! She could not believe they had taken gods name out. She still goes to the babtist church but refuses to believe in the trinity and says gods name, Jehovah as she read in the older bibles!

The question then is...Why do you posters not want to spell out gods name in your posts? Just curious.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM

49 posts, read 272,340 times
I just saw Alphas post about the windows! You can come to our Kingdom Hall and see our windows if you like! I can also take some pictures if you like! WE DO HAVE THEM! So your point is FALSE!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
The Kingdom Hall I attend in South Carolina DOES HAVE lots of Windows! I agree with you Alice about the windows. I find myself looking out the window when a car comes by or birds etc.

When I went to different churches I dont think I ever saw a church with a window that was not a stained glass windows that you COULD NOT see out of so what is that suppose to stand for?

I have never seen so many people come up with so many crazy hair brained ideas before in my life!

What I have found very weird in these posts is the fact that almost No one types out the name Jehovah and use JW instead. Jehovah's name WAS in ALL the bibles. My grandmother had a bible that was very old and it was in there 6 times..and then she has another one not so old that has it in there 2 times...and her newest bible had it in there NONE! She always told me growing up you should never take away from the bible! She could not believe they had taken gods name out. She still goes to the babtist church but refuses to believe in the trinity and says gods name, Jehovah as she read in the older bibles!

The question then is...Why do you posters not want to spell out gods name in your posts? Just curious.
Maybe for the same reasons you don't cap the word God. (or Jesus's by the way that I have seen in your posts)

I never pointed it out before since I thought it was trivial, but if you wanna go there, I'm game.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Sorry I'm not effectively conveying my point for you. I've done the best I could and I think I'll leave it at that.

Regarding the windows issue, which is particularly interesting to me, FOR ME (and you asked about what it symbolizes to ME)...well...to me it CLEARLY is symbolic of the absence of The Light. At least the God-created Natural Light ie Light of The World. The Holy One of Israel. God Incarnate. Immanuel. The Alpha and The Omega. The First and The Last. Jesus Christ, The Risen King.

But that's JUST MY view. Anyone else can make their own assumptions. I've seen churches with boarded and barred windows....but not ALL churches. It's very peculiar. And, IMO, quite telling.

I hope I've done an effective job conveying to all members of this forum that the views expressed here in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to be derogatory, only observational.

It seems to be, Alpha-and please understand I mean no offense-that you might be a little used to seeing things a certain way (aka: tradition) and therefore think that's the way God wants it to be.

In ancient times, windows served one purpose-so people could see during the day whilst indoors and so there could be a breeze during hot weather. In America, we have air conditioning (thankfully) and electricity so we don't need them. In hotter nations, like Africa...those kingdom halls are almost entirely OPEN AIR because of the climate. Over the years, windows met an aesthetic purpose to developed countries and especially to churches who felt stained glass windows would draw more people. But like SSC said, those are only translucent and let in very little light. When I see churches onthe highway, they usually have very few windows actually...so again, what is the 'tell'??

Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
I just saw Alphas post about the windows! You can come to our Kingdom Hall and see our windows if you like! I can also take some pictures if you like! WE DO HAVE THEM! So your point is FALSE!
No, my point was that I haven't seen it. I still haven't. I f you'd like to post photos, you can. Then I can say I've seen one. It'll still be one, but you gotta have one before you can have two, right?

Thanks for offering!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
It seems to be, Alpha-and please understand I mean no offense-that you might be a little used to seeing things a certain way (aka: tradition) and therefore think that's the way God wants it to be.

In ancient times, windows served one purpose-so people could see during the day whilst indoors and so there could be a breeze during hot weather. In America, we have air conditioning (thankfully) and electricity so we don't need them. In hotter nations, like Africa...those kingdom halls are almost entirely OPEN AIR because of the climate. Over the years, windows met an aesthetic purpose to developed countries and especially to churches who felt stained glass windows would draw more people. But like SSC said, those are only translucent and let in very little light. When I see churches onthe highway, they usually have very few windows actually...so again, what is the 'tell'??
My church has stained glass windows too...but it has more regular windows. And I don't think I've ever had someone tell me that my preference for windows was me being caught up in 'tradition' but whatever. And if there was a commandment about not letting The Light in, I've missed it, but I'll keep reading.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:00 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Do JW's still teach that Michael the Archangel came to earth in the form of Jesus..Or has the Society changed their minds on this?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
My church has stained glass windows too...but it has more regular windows. And I don't think I've ever had someone tell me that my preference for windows was me being caught up in 'tradition' but whatever. And if there was a commandment about not letting The Light in, I've missed it, but I'll keep reading.
LOL...I never said there was a commandment to that affect but there is definitely not one that says you have to is there? By the way, if you'd like to see some kingdom halls with windows, Alpha, go to google images and type in Kingdom hall. Almost every one of them has them.

Incidentally, most of those are older kingdom halls that are converted buildings. Like I said before, the new ones rarely splurge for them. But I wanted you to see for yourself since this subject seems very important to you.

See ya'll later!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Do JW's still teach that Michael the Archangel came to earth in the form of Jesus..Or has the Society changed their minds on this?

We do believe Michael the Archangel is Jesus. The name only appears five times in the bible and the person who bears the name is referred to as 'one of the chief princes', 'the great prince,' and the 'archangel'. Michael means 'Who is like God'? and designates the one who is taking the lead in upholding Jehovah's sovreignty and destroying his enemies.

1 Thess 4:16 shows that the command of Jesus for the resurrection to begin is described as 'the archangel's call'. And Jude 9 says the archangel is Michael.

Rev 12:7-12 says Michael and his angels will war against Satan nd hurl him and his wicked angels out of heaven in connection w/ the conferring of kingly authority on Christ. Jesus is depicted in Rev 19 as the one who leads the armies in heaven against the nations of the world.

So we believe the evidence indicates that the Son of God was knowsn as Micahel before he came to earth and is known also by tht name since his return to heaven where he rsides as the glorified spirit son of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality