Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well if you could point out some of your research on how there is never a case that blood would be needed I would really be interested in reading that. If you are referring to options such as packed red blood cells or plasma being used then I can understand where you are coming from but if not then I would really be interested in seeing the research. Thanks!
Ooo, there is so much. You can actually go to a 'Bloodless Surgery Center' in your state and get alot of the same pamphlets I did. You can also talk to the doctors and see what information they can give you. Because blood is in such demand (especially in times of war), science has HAD to start looking for other options anyway. This was one that I happened to have on hand:

Better Than Blood? - Popular Science

There is also a brochure published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society called 'How Can Blood Save Your Life' that contains lots of information from medical journals and stuff that you can easily reference.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Oh, Jeff my response to you is back on page 12. I didnt want you to think I had ignored you.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
My uncle, for instance, claimed to be a Witness all his life but he was never baptized as one and therefore simply was 'associated with' the Witnesses which is not the same thing.
Are you saying that your baptizing baptizes you into the JW faith? Just curious, because it seems like baptism and the for and what reason vary so much from belief to belief, and is an important issue for someone seeking a place they feel comfortable.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Are you saying that your baptizing baptizes you into the JW faith? Just curious, because it seems like baptism and the for and what reason vary so much from belief to belief, and is an important issue for someone seeking a place they feel comfortable.
Water immersion serves as a symbol of your dedication to Jehovah but yes, in our organization it also identifies you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Once you have dedicated your life to God, you have an appreciation for his requirements and principles and therefore you avoid willfully going against his laws.

Actually, I believe this is the case with most religions, is it not? Some type of public declaration is involved in most churches.

Last edited by alicenevada; 06-21-2007 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Water immersion serves as a symbol of your dedication to Jehovah but yes, in our organization it also identifies you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Once you have dedicated your life to God, you have an appreciation for his requirements and principles and therefore you avoid willfully going against his laws.

Actually, I believe this is the case with most religions, is it not? Some type of public declaration is involved in most churches.
A lot of other religions believe that baptism is symbolic of the death, burial and ressurrection of Jesus, and for the remission of our sins..They are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Many of them believe you recieve the indwelling of the holy ghost(spirit) at this time. A lot also believe that when they get the longing to be baptized that they desire it right away, and don't feel right about having to wait on a crowd to gather..A lot of the time the only public declaration the baptized will make is "Praise God".

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
A lot of other religions believe that baptism is symbolic of the death, burial and ressurrection of Jesus, and for the remission of our sins..They are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Many of them believe you recieve the indwelling of the holy ghost(spirit) at this time. A lot also believe that when they get the longing to be baptized that they desire it right away, and don't feel right about having to wait on a crowd to gather..A lot of the time the only public declaration the baptized will make is "Praise God".
Yes I know. There are a variety of beliefs on the subject. We do believe baptism is a symbol of 'death' to your former life course in that you now live for God.

Your dedication is absolutely a personal decision and is entirely private. However, from a study of the bible we come to understand that the early christians made this dedication visible through water immersion. Jehovah's Witnesses enjoy making this public statement before their brothers and sisters in the faith at conventions we have throughout the year. It's a solemn occasion but also a very happy one. However, if someone has a problem w/ crowds or if no convention is local to them, special arrangements are made.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Well, they weren't a Jehovah's Witness if they smoked cigarettes and used marijuana. We do believe it's okay to drink alcohol in moderation (like in the bible) but no Witness smokes or takes recreational drugs. They can claim to be all that they want but they just aren't. My uncle, for instance, claimed to be a Witness all his life but he was never baptized as one and therefore simply was 'associated with' the Witnesses which is not the same thing.
Well, they certainly claimed to be, but I always thought they were kinda "backslidden" JW's or something of the like. I figured your answer would be that they were'nt really JW's.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, they certainly claimed to be, but I always thought they were kinda "backslidden" JW's or something of the like. I figured your answer would be that they were'nt really JW's.
Yeah, my uncle that I mentioned earlier was a crackhead and was sent to jail for a terrible crime. At his trial, he stated he would never do such a thing because he was a Jehovah's Witness. Needless to say, we would prefer such confusion never arise...but it does.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM

[quote=alicenavada;906801]Dreameyes,

We believe the number 144,000 (mentioned in Revelation) is a literal number. The reason for this being (among other contextual implications) that the scripture immediately thereafter speaks of a 'great crowd which no man was able to number'. The weighty comparison leads us to logically conclude that the number is to be taken literally. However, notice in Rev 7, that 'great crowd' is not doomed but actually also receives life. The scriptures also speak of those who inherit heavenly life as 'ruling as kings and priests'. So they must have someone to rule over, right?

That is where the rest of us come in. We do not believe we are going to hell but that we will live right here on the earth in paradisaic conditions (like God originally intended for humans when he first created the earth). The 144,000 are a special group who will share heavenly life and have very specific positions in God's Kingdom.

How does a person gain the great honor of being one of the 144.000? Also , has the Watchtower Society published the number of the 144.000 still alive? I know that only people who believe they are going to heaven are to participate in the Lords Supper once a year. Also know that the Kingdom Halls let the Society know if they have a priest among them who partook of the communion . When did the Society begin their count of the 144,000? I know that you count the twelve apostles of Acts since the Gospels ended with 11. But who did the counting after that until the Watchtower Society was established..I already know about the Dawn Society.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 AM

[quote=blue62;931478]
Quote:
Dreameyes,

We believe the number 144,000 (mentioned in Revelation) is a literal number. The reason for this being (among other contextual implications) that the scripture immediately thereafter speaks of a 'great crowd which no man was able to number'. The weighty comparison leads us to logically conclude that the number is to be taken literally. However, notice in Rev 7, that 'great crowd' is not doomed but actually also receives life. The scriptures also speak of those who inherit heavenly life as 'ruling as kings and priests'. So they must have someone to rule over, right?

That is where the rest of us come in. We do not believe we are going to hell but that we will live right here on the earth in paradisaic conditions (like God originally intended for humans when he first created the earth). The 144,000 are a special group who will share heavenly life and have very specific positions in God's Kingdom.

How does a person gain the great honor of being one of the 144.000? Also , has the Watchtower Society published the number of the 144.000 still alive? I know that only people who believe they are going to heaven are to participate in the Lords Supper once a year. Also know that the Kingdom Halls let the Society know if they have a priest among them who partook of the communion . When did the Society begin their count of the 144,000? I know that you count the twelve apostles of Acts since the Gospels ended with 11. But who did the counting after that until the Watchtower Society was established..I already know about the Dawn Society.

Jehovah's holy spirit lets them know. It's not something those of us with an earthly hope have actually experienced so we do not question those who claim to be of the heavenly class. I know that sometimes those who receive a heavenly calling do rebel against it because they don't want to go to heaven when their families have an earthly hope. A brother in my congregation in Texas experienced this. But it becomes impossible for them to see themselves anywhere else and eventually they accept it and are grateful for the privelidge.

As far as the number who partake, I am not sure. I believe they publish it in the Kingdom Ministry each year when they report the number in attendance at the memorial but I'm not sure if they still do that or not. It should be coming out in one of our recent KM's, if they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality