Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

Dreameyes,

We believe the number 144,000 (mentioned in Revelation) is a literal number. The reason for this being (among other contextual implications) that the scripture immediately thereafter speaks of a 'great crowd which no man was able to number'. The weighty comparison leads us to logically conclude that the number is to be taken literally. However, notice in Rev 7, that 'great crowd' is not doomed but actually also receives life. The scriptures also speak of those who inherit heavenly life as 'ruling as kings and priests'. So they must have someone to rule over, right?

That is where the rest of us come in. We do not believe we are going to hell but that we will live right here on the earth in paradisaic conditions (like God originally intended for humans when he first created the earth). The 144,000 are a special group who will share heavenly life and have very specific positions in God's Kingdom. But we on earth (the great crowd) will have the job of restoring the earth to its original and perfect condtion and of welcoming back our loved ones that we have lost in death during this current system of things.

So many are joining because they are unhappy w/ their current religion or life and find hope and peace among Jehovah's Witnesses. They dedicate their lives to Jehovah because they want to.

The word 'church' replaced the word 'congregation' in the original greek and does not really denote the idea of a worldwide body of worshippers. It is usually thought of as a place of worship by most people I meet. So, since we don't want to confuse anyone, the worldwide fellowship of Jehovah's Witnesses refers to themselves as an 'organization' instead of a 'church'-it's a more apt description. It also helps keeps us seperate from the rest of Christendom, since obviously there are major differences there.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Thankyou for your answer alice.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Your welcome, I hope I explained myself sufficiently. I'm always afraid of getting too wordy so I try to be as concise as possible.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 PM

49 posts, read 272,340 times
I grew up in the "bible belt" here in South Carolina. The town I am from has about 2000 people and about 45 Churches. My grandmother is a babtist, my mom went to the Weslyn church, my dad (they were divorced) went to the Pentecostal church. My grandmother always read the bible to me and gave me moral values. My parents really did not care. I went to the Weslyn Church from 7 or so until about 16yrs old. I never really learned much except a few scriptures Like John 3:16 etc. and the usual you are going to burn in hell if you are not good stuff.

When I got older I wondered about alot of things I was seeing in the churches...

Pastors being fired or leaving..Pastors divorcing..Pastors flirting with other women with kids on the church bus going to the skating rink....Then I got married at 19...My wife and I wanted to change our lives and be better people than our family members. So, we went to the Church of God and the Guy that was teaching Sunday School would stop his "teaching" and go take a smoke break. In the same church a guy with a naked lady tattoo would proudly display and talk about his past.

Then I attended my Uncles funeral who until the day he died was a drug addict and wife abuser. But the preacher said "he is in heaven" and not to worry. And this is the same thing I heard at every other funeral.

Meanwhile, my grandmother who used to get visits from her preacher at least once a month because she was very poor, had no car, her husband was dead, etc. ALL of a sudden for years no one from the church would come by and check on her.

Then there was the Sunday School teacher who was gay. Then you go to the big churches and you notice the rich people getting all the attention and you are nothing.

Then one day I had a Jehovah's witness come to my door. I had never heard of them before. From that moment the TRUTH was revealed! I knew that God had sent me someone to help me! I now know why all those things were happening in the churches!

When I mentioned to my grandmother who has been a babtist for 77 Years what she thought about Jesus and God being the same person, she said have you gone crazy! She goes to the babtist church and she does not even believe in the trinity. When I told her that her church teaches that she was shocked! Jesus never wanted to be as important or more important than the father as he stated while he was on earth!

I understand why there are so many posts in the state sections about "I cant find a Good Church". I tried as well ! There is a post in the South Carolina Section where these people just moved here and they have been to numerous churches and they can not find a good church!

Who do you see preaching as jesus said to do?

What religion do you see doing exactly what god says to do?

Where can you go and worship and every single person in the place wants you to be there?

Where can you find UNITY as the bible talks about?

Where can you find LOVE among the brothers as the bible talks about?

Where can you find a religion who will not tolerate divorces, drunkards, Fornicators, etc.?

Where can you find a religion that will sacrifice their time to serve god week in and week out?

There was an article about the babtist conventions that said that babtisms were going way down. But, yet every year Jehovah's Kingdom gets bigger, there is never a decline!

I love Jehovah and his people. When I go to the kingdom hall I feel loved and so do my kids and my wife. My son just gave his first talk and we are throwing him a big party! Oh, and he wanted this for himself because he has the love for Jehovah not because anyone pressured him.

If you could just go to a meeting and feel the love you would understand what jesus felt when he was with his disciples!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Awww, your post made me a little teary,SSC. I'm so glad you found happiness with Jehovah's people and I'm so happy that your son has his first talk! My own little one is seven and he's working towards that goal as well. Right now, he's beginning to talk at the doors and defend his beliefs in school and there is nothing like the feeling you get when you see such things.

There is nothing that compares with this unity, is there? Hello and welcome.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM

No, there is nothing that compares to it. My son, who just gave his first talk is 9. I have three other kids..12 & 5 Year old daughters and another son who is 3. My 9 year old son begs to go out and talk to people about God. I just gave my first talk about a month ago and my wife gave hers about 3 weeks ago.

I am sure your son will work towards that goal and achieve it! We have our Convention next week! I have been to 2 conventions and 2 assemblies and they are great! You get to see so many wonderful people and they all sings the same praises to Jehovah and have the same moral values as you do. It is so easy to see what the bible talks about, that you will know my people by their love for one another! You can see this LOVE at all the meetings and conventions!

I am encouraged by your posts!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Thank you so very much. Your activity w/ you family is very encouraging to me too and I'm sure it is to the rest of your congregation as well.

Our Convention is also next week...the 29th thru the 1st in Huntsville Al. We've already distributed our invitations and have none left...haha! I've been going to the district conventions since I was born and I love them also. So faith strengthening! It's definitely the best thing of my year.

As far as this site goes, at first I didnt contribute anything. I was just here to learn about St George Ut where we might be moving. But browsing one day I discovered this forum and realized that there was a lot of people who had been misinformed about the Witnesses. I don't like to debate so I avoid those topics but I do feel compelled to answer questions.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM

I was just looking at the SC forum and interested in all the people moving here from all other states because of our cheap housing,etc. I saw this forum and I wanted to see what was said. I also dont like to argue or go back and forth with anyone. I just want to provide truth for people who are searching for the truth as I once was. If you can help ONE person find the truth it is all worth the effort! It is not about hours of service, but the love for others!

But as we have learned in the bible, no one listened to Noah until the flood came and swept them all away. You would think people could see this so easily but they dont.

Take care as you are planning to move!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Thank you, brother.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
Who do you see preaching as jesus said to do?
Many different churches.

Quote:
What religion do you see doing exactly what god says to do?
None.

Quote:
Where can you go and worship and every single person in the place wants you to be there?
If you are worshiping for the people, you might as well stay home.

Quote:
Where can you find UNITY as the bible talks about?
Tell me more about what the bible says and I'll try and answer this. I know the original twelve disciples had disagreements, so that will be a tough one.

Quote:
Where can you find LOVE among the brothers as the bible talks about?
Many churches.

Quote:
Where can you find a religion who will not tolerate divorces, drunkards, Fornicators, etc.?
I'm not sure what you mean by tolerate, but if you mean have mercy upon sinners then, if you don't 'tolerate' these things then you aren't preaching as Jesus said do, as you boasted in your first question.

Quote:
Where can you find a religion that will sacrifice their time to serve god week in and week out?
Ah, key word there, religion. I want none of that, thanks! Just give me God and His Son, you can keep your religion.

Quote:
If you could just go to a meeting and feel the love you would understand what jesus felt when he was with his disciples!
If it's the same love reflected in this post, thanks but no thanks. There was only one thing that hung and died for my salvation, Jesus Christ. And I'm not hanging good works, right words, or right building up there with Him. My salvation is by Him, through Him and of Him...and Him ALONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality