Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM

478 posts, read 774,545 times

Advertisements

I don't really see anything to connect christianity to obesity... So to Antler: by no means do I wish to rain on your parade, and I'm not trying to berate you for the fact that you place high importance on appearance- your own, as much as others. It just seems that you, and this topic/thread might be better suited to post on a dating site or some social network where you can find like-minded church goers who are just as conscious about physical appearance, and will likely express the same ideals that you do when it comes to character and substance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy63 View Post
Really? I thought the Pacific Northwest was full of hikers (which could just be a horrible generalization on my part). I wouldn't have ever considered an obesity problem there.
Oh, you betcha'! It's a contradiction but it's reality. But, really, I think the assumption of avid bikers here is over-inflated. I work in an office of about 55 people, and only one ~ just 1 ~ bikes to/from work. The die-hards are few.

Despite all the hikers and bikers, you would be amazed at the obesity rate here otherwise. In fact, I know a very active biker and snow-skier who is still about 60 lbs over-weight. (Don't know why he's so heavy, as I have never noticed him to eat much at all.)

It was a long time ago but I still remember when I had family from out of state visit, and one of them eventually commented on the heavy population here.

I used to wonder if it wasn't something organic. We have a lot of health clubs here, but nevertheless, the long rainy winters may attribute to the lack of incentive for more exercise. Can't say I know the answers, quite frankly.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 05-02-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,649,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, Christians commit what they would call sin and they admit to doing so. The point is...?
The point is that they have committed sins and have the gall to pass judgment on others when they themselves don't take a step back and realize that we are all "sinners" and will all "go to hell"

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's no secret that in the United States many Christians are either super-fat or super-obese

Even when I attend mass . . .
Then WHY do you????

Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times
Yikes, the church announced a breakfast buffet today after mass.

So I happened to sneak in and take a peek. Scrambled eggs, heck yeah, I had a plate

But the sausage, bacon and heavy items buffet table was hardly seen and it was getting refilled over and over and over.

Guess who were eating their fill and making merry. Seriously, they were already fat and the amount they ate today should definitely be adding 5 pounds by the end of the day. I walked away mortified and amazed

Then I went and had a chat with the priest, I requested him to preach gluttony the next week's sermon and he mooted something like his job will be under the firing gun if he were to do so

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
The point is that they have committed sins and have the gall to pass judgment on others when they themselves don't take a step back and realize that we are all "sinners" and will all "go to hell"
Who does, specifically? If a heavy person walks up to you and "passes judgment," telling you that you're a "sinner" and will "go to hell," it's on you to address that person and to say flat-out that he or she is obviously sinning too.

Out of curiosity, is this something you frequently experience?

Otherwise, there's not a whole lot of point to making a generalization and then complaining about it, IMO. Or are you saying you believe there are fat Christians here on CD who are berating you and telling you that you'll go to hell? Again, if that happens, address it. It's not so hard.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,639,363 times
This is the dumbest thread ever. Yet another way to criticize and antagonize us Christians. Just leave us the hell alone already! I mean dang! I didn't know people were so obsessed with us!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Okay. Now if I was there I most likely would have helped myself to whatever appealed to me ~ guilt free, because I never eat breakfasts like that, and I don't know ANYBODY who eats breakfasts like that, because in the working world no one wants to take the time in the mornings to do it. The old style breakfasts of eggs and bacon and biscuits are now an occasional treat instead of a daily way of life. Hard to believe that the parish can't even provide a breakfast without drawing criticism for that, too!

Oops, what a minute! I do pick up a McDonald sausage burrito once a week. Well, blow me down into the lower level of Hell, then! I've committed a mortal sin.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is the dumbest thread ever. Yet another way to criticize and antagonize us Christians. Just leave us the hell alone already! I mean dang! I didn't know people were so obsessed with us!
You can't play that "us" trump card here

This is no non-christian attempt to taint them Christians. The dude who opened the thread is catholic and is still a practising one.

It's simple. Christians who are fat are disqualified from condemning atheists, homosexuals or other non-christians. It's sad that many don't see that hollowness in their self-righteousness.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:02 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,639,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You can't play that "us" trump card here

This is no non-christian attempt to taint them Christians. The dude who opened the thread is catholic and is still a practising one.

It's simple. Christians who are fat are disqualified from condemning atheists, homosexuals or other non-christians. It's sad that many don't see that hollowness in their self-righteousness.
Excuse me. I don't remember talking to you. ANYWHO, first of all, I don't practice the Catholic religion so you mentioning him being one does what for me? Hes making a mockery of out of all of us. Period. Second, who are you to say anything about what disqualifies who from doing what? I can say whatever I what! Atheist condemn us "crazy religious folk" all the time so it really don't matter. Third, I'm not fat! And I think in your writing it suggest that I am one of these so called fat Christians that don't see the hollowness in my self righteous. Tricks! Who's self righteous?! Not me. You guys need to get a life instead of focusing on us. I had no idea we were so popular until today. I feel special.

P.S. hater> FOURTH, I can play whatever card I very well please want to play. I will always lay it on the table honey. No matter where or when! Bring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality