Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
CHINESE and Turkish evangelical explorers believe they may have found Noah's Ark - 4000m up a mountain in Turkey.

The team said it had recovered wooden specimens from a structure on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey that carbon dating proved was 4800 years old, around the same time the ark is said to have been afloat.

'99.9pc certainty' of Noah's Ark discovery on Mount Ararat | News.com.au
You know, a flying saucer full of space aliens crashed in Roswell in 1947 too, and a 10 ft tall hairy bipedal ape lives in the mountains of Oregon. Also, the government made a light cruiser disappear into another dimension in the 50's. The Ark of the Covenant is also being guarded by a bunch of Ethiopians with AK-47s in a backwater church in the Saraha, and a guy in Florida made a garden out of giant sawn coral monoliths that he moved with his mind... all with claims of 99.9% certainty.

But all I really want is a decent rate on my car insurance...

Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Another article with photos. Scroll down to the photo showing straw strewn around. It's amazing how well preserved it is after thousands of years, almost as if it was scattered around yesterday.

Noah's Ark 'discovered' 4,800 years on... 4,000m up a mountain in Turkey | Mail Online

Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
What is the moral purpose in Noah taking seven kinds of ritually clean animal, but only one pair of each kind of ritually unclean animal?
I thought this was because they were going to need to eat some animals while on the ark (only the clean ones, obviously) and later, so there would need to be more of them.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
how do we know that its noah's ark and not some other dudes-i mean did he have his name written on it-mabey on the side with big writting-VIVA LA NOAH-sorry thats the best i coulod come up with for a name of a boat.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It looks to me like the inside of a dugout hut or even a mine, with horizontal boards to keep the dirt back and round roof beams to support a dirt roof. It certainly doesn't look the least bit nautical. And it looks WAY younger than 4000 years.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
how do we know that its noah's ark and not some other dudes-i mean did he have his name written on it-mabey on the side with big writting-VIVA LA NOAH-sorry thats the best i coulod come up with for a name of a boat.
If it is anyone's ark it is Utnapishtim's - the dude from the original flood story which predates the cheap Biblical plagiarization by millenia.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Yeah, seriously! It could have been Fred's Ark.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
If it is anyone's ark it is Utnapishtim's - the dude from the original flood story which predates the cheap Biblical plagiarization by millenia.
On the other hand, they could come from one story that predates both of them. I still think there was a great flood, but it was more local than we'd consider today--not the whole planet--and that this is where this story came from. I do think it was based on an actual event, and that's because there is more than one version. I feel various versions in more than one religion and more than one culture, but all in the same geographic area, are argument for (not proof of, obviously) at least some sort of geologic event actually happening that would have bottlenecked the population.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

494 posts, read 890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
On the other hand, they could come from one story that predates both of them. I still think there was a great flood, but it was more local than we'd consider today--not the whole planet--and that this is where this story came from. I do think it was based on an actual event, and that's because there is more than one version. I feel various versions in more than one religion and more than one culture, but all in the same geographic area, are argument for (not proof of, obviously) at least some sort of geologic event actually happening that would have bottlenecked the population.
Except there was not a bottleneck during that time so that blows that suggestion out of the water. Pun intended.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Except there was not a bottleneck during that time so that blows that suggestion out of the water. Pun intended.
Well, that's definitely the monkeywrench to my personal theory...although I don't actually think the "timeline" of the Bible is accurate anyway from a historical perspective. But that's me being reeeeeeeeeeeally loose about interpretation.

I don't think this blows my suggestion out of the water, or the main point, anyway, which is that it's entirely possible there was a large local flood which had a very high death toll. It seems very plausible to me that in any given area that experiences rain, at some point there could have been a catastrophic flood. Catastrophic floods exist even today.

I do believe there's a basis for the story based on the fact that it's in various cultures but within the same area. It's not proof of it, just suggestive of it, and something I can easily see.

Why would it be hard to believe that there could have been a huge flood in Mesopotamia at some point that people would have seen as their "whole world" collapsing? I don't really see anything way out of bounds in the idea.

Rather than bump this thread, I'll just edit: here's something about a possible flood in the area given. Good God (no pun intended) but did it take me a while to find something about this that didn't either come from extreme, and we're talking extreme fundamentalists, or extraordinarily rabid atheists. So, sorry for the delay.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-27-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality