Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They are one and the same, as far as I'm concerned. Marrying outside the faith is sad. It indicates that they don't take their faith seriously. It reallly doesn't matter if the person they're marrying is a different religion, or is an atheist -- it's that they don't share the thing that SHOULD be the most important thing in their lives.
Last time I checked, the thing that should be most important to a couple is each other. Religion or metaphysical beliefs are just one of many things they may or may not see entirely eye-to-eye on, and which may or may not be a stress point in the relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Rarely have I seen a marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian thrive, while the Christian maintains a strong faith. It just doesn't happen. It's incredibly sad to see a woman sitting alone in church, knowing her husband is at home in bed and he doesn't share that with her. Worse yet is when I see such a woman stop coming to church because it's just easier to stay in bed on Sunday morning because none of her family cares to come with her.
Guess it depends on how you define "thrive" and "maintains a strong faith". My guess is you would not care if a marriage was happy if both spouses were not stalwarts of your church or something equivalent. Because in your narrative, "happy marriage" comes from being enthusiastically and immersively involved in the correct faith. Not only are people incapable of having their own moral convictions or their own thoughtfully held beliefs; they are incapable of maintaining healthy relationships unless mediated by your church.

I'm curious how you explain people who are committed, involved evangelical fundamentalist Christians and still have marital difficulties. I'm sure that's all their fault somehow, though, and doesn't violate the claim that god will bless your marriage if you are both committed to god and his church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Well, it would be none of my business, but I hope my kids find smart people who haven't fallen for the organized religion hooha.

Spiritual or culturally religious is OK.

But anyone who truly believes word-for-word...uh, no.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 PM

135 posts, read 128,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No, they are mutually exclusive in reality. You either (1) know God does not exist (you can word it as believes he does not exist and pretend to differentiate that from knowing but they are not discernible on the belief level, you can't believe something and also not know it - that's just a language game.

I'm off back to the food boards. Too many emotionally hyped people here.
Today my friend told me that on his way to work he saw 5 deer cross the road. I believe him but I do not know that it happened. So much for that hypothesis.

Hopefully conversations on the food board involve everyone agreeing with you all the time. You'll enjoy that more.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I just want my kids to be happy. My son (a non-practicing Mormon) is currently very serious with a non-practicing Hindu young woman. If they come to me one day and tell me they're engaged, I will be on cloud 9. If he were with the same girl but she were an atheist, I'd also be delighted to call her my daughter-in-law. In a perfect world, he and she would both be practicing Mormons, but hey, this isn't a perfect world.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just want my kids to be happy. My son (a non-practicing Mormon) is currently very serious with a non-practicing Hindu young woman. If they come to me one day and tell me they're engaged, I will be on cloud 9. If he were with the same girl but she were an atheist, I'd also be delighted to call her my daughter-in-law. In a perfect world, he and she would both be practicing Mormons, but hey, this isn't a perfect world.
And thank whatever God you might hang your hat on for that.

Perfect isn't people-friendly.

Without struggle, there is no growth.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
I agree.... I don't care what religion my in-law is because if the kids are happy then I couldn't be happier!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And thank whatever God you might hang your hat on for that.

Perfect isn't people-friendly.

Without struggle, there is no growth.
Without struggle, there is no growth is similar to my motto... rivalry of scholars advances wisdom.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:05 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
The person who, outside your faith or is an atheist, is marrying your kid is also a rebellion of his/her own faith or believe system.
So there is something common in both of them.

For many parents, it's a hurtful and sad situation. For others, it's not.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The person who, outside your faith or is an atheist, is marrying your kid is also a rebellion of his/her own faith or believe system.
So there is something common in both of them.
Not so. Many faiths have no prohibition against marrying outside the faith, and atheism has no doctrine or dogma at all.

There are often practical difficulties, particularly if one person is very rigid or unaccomodating, but it is certainly possible to have a solid, loving, inter-faith marriage.

-NoCapo

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
My son is a practicing, converted Mormon. I'm wiccan. It was always his choice of what faith, or none, he found worked for him. I didn't make it to his wedding but because they moved it up and there was a mega winter storm which meant I couldn't get there. His wife is also Mormon and she's a very nice girl. My only provision when he told me he was converting to mormon was that he and anyone he marry fully respect that I am not and don't wish to be preached at.

I'm delighted that he had a wife who is smart and steady and that together they were smart enought to move where they got good jobs, and now really like it there. And they run the Boy scout troop for the youngest kids, and love that too. He thanked me for putting him in scouts.

I figure that as people get to be adults they will find what they need and then will settle into life and those who feel they broke some kind of rule in their choice because it was different are the ones that really lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality