Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,073 times

Advertisements

when does a landlord have to paint or a property management company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlye View Post
There are no laws on the issue.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
If vacant, when the walls look so bad that it's hard to attract new tenants. Myself, I want perfect walls when I'm seeking a new tenant because I want top price and quality tenants.

If rented, whenever they want or never. Or when they want to retain a good tenant who has been there several years. Or never, if they want to get rid of a bad tenant.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

There is really no set have to rule. The only thing is the charge the tenant for repainting. After x years of living there you cannot charge for repaint. But you can charge for damage to walls
Long story but I learned my lesson about repainting or allowing tenants to do ANY work on any of my properties. It's now simply not allowed. I now paint before move in. And when they move out. I make it crystal clear there is no painting or modification to be done to the property.

I know OP is not even reading this but for a proper paint job 2k is really on the low end.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektr4 View Post
T.......the tenants want four rooms repainted due to scuffing/marks caused by their children...........
I would never repair cosmetic damage caused by the tenant while the tenant is still in residence. Whatever they are doing that damages the carpet, the paint, or the landscaping, they are going to continue to do and they will just damage the new carper, paint, landscaping just like they damaged what was there when they moved in.

Wait until they move out to re-paint, or you are going to paint twice for the same sort of damage.

Never allow tenants to paint. That never ends well. Tell them that, if they want, you will have a professional painter redo the paint in the neutral color of the landlord's choice and at 100% the tenant's expense. You will find that they can live with the damaged paint if they would have to pay to have it repaired.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
If I get a request for a touch up and the tenant has lived there less than a few years, I'd tell tenant I'll send out my handy man if tenant will pay him.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,423 times
I am moving into a new place. I went to look at it after the previous tenants moved out. Clearly it needs to be repainted. There is mismatched paint spots on the wall - like they tried to fix it. It is pretty bad. The landlord said I could paint it and he would repay for expenses. I don't want that responsibility. I also found out that it was not painted before the previous tenants moved in. So is there rights that they have to paint. The property manager mentioned when i signed the lease that they were going to paint....ughhhhh

Old 10-14-2014, 03:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrren View Post
I am moving into a new place. I went to look at it after the previous tenants moved out. Clearly it needs to be repainted. There is mismatched paint spots on the wall - like they tried to fix it. It is pretty bad. The landlord said I could paint it and he would repay for expenses. I don't want that responsibility. I also found out that it was not painted before the previous tenants moved in. So is there rights that they have to paint. The property manager mentioned when i signed the lease that they were going to paint....ughhhhh
The bolded sentence is key. You signed the lease but but got nothing in writing to confirm that the unit would be painted so now, unfortunately, you're stuck unless you can persuade them otherwise. There's no law that says landlords have to paint between tenants and plenty don't.

Are you dealing directly with the landlord or the property manager? I would relay to whoever that the property manager mentioned when you signed the lease that the unit would be repainted, that you're not proficient enough to take on the job yourself but that since it was your understanding that it would be done then ...

All you can do is try! Good luck!

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

671 posts, read 890,513 times
Don't paint if you find the condition acceptable and tell them to move. That's how things work....

Old 10-14-2014, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,423 times
Is there a law that says they have to paint? As I mentioned, they did not paint for the previous tenants. You would think they would have to paint - if they are charging them in the security deposit. I can't live with the 2 foot spots on the wall that does not match the original paint. It was a bad fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting