Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When you are renting, you must look at what you are getting for your money. It isn't going to change into something better after you move in. OP assumed he would get carpet, but he was wrong. Assumptions often are wrong.
This and security deposits are the two biggest problems I see...

It really is what you see is what you get... any promises, get them in writing and part of the rental agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
OP has probably moved on but for anyone else that wonders, it is rare for landlords to provide window coverings. It isn't required by law anywhere and when landlords do provide window coverings, it is usually mini-blinds, which are cheap and there is no reason that a tenant could not buy and install his own window blinds.
I don't think I've rented any place (apartment, single family home, or duplex) without window coverings. I guess I've been lucky? They are usually mini blinds, which I much prefer to renting a place with old fabric curtains

Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 PM

We only provide street side window coverings as a rule...

Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I don't think I've rented any place (apartment, single family home, or duplex) without window coverings. I guess I've been lucky? They are usually mini blinds, which I much prefer to renting a place with old fabric curtains
We provide mini blinds for the windows and vertical blinds for patio doors, along with simple curtain rods on request. Better that than the wood trim being destroyed by folks trying to put up their own.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:46 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragon2009 View Post
Hi everybody! This is my first post and I was wondering about something. I've searched the web and this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question. Here goes:

I'm currently renting a garage apartment and when I looked at the place the landlord was still working on it. He promised me however that the place would be finished by the time I moved in. I assumed "finished" meant carpet and window treatments. So I agreed. However, after I paid him the rent, security deposit and last month's rent he informed me that he would not install carpet until the next tenant comes along.... Is he obligated to provide carpet? Or do I have to buy that myself? The rent is pretty steep ($ 725.00) for a small apartment without carpet and window coverings. I'm on a concrete floor and it's starting to get cold (I'm in the Seattle area). Thanks!
Carpet, no. Flooring, yes.

On another note, I would not think $750/month would be considered steep in Seattle. We charge more than that for our places in Northern KY.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 AM

106,684 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Many apartment houses here in ny require 80% of flooring be covered by carpeting at tenants expense.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 AM

^^^ Carpet and floor to ceiling drapes can make a significant reduction in noise transmission... especially when it is wall to wall carpet over heavy pad.

Had on 4 plex that with the beautiful 1920's hardwood restored... simply too loud so reluctantly I carpeted each unit and added drapes... noise problem gone

Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM

32,656 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
....... They are usually mini blinds, which I much prefer to renting a place with old fabric curtains
Some landlords provide mini blinds, not because the law requires it, but because if there are no window coverings, tenants tend to nail up old sheets to cover the windows and it looks awful and the nails damage the window frames.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some landlords provide mini blinds, not because the law requires it, but because if there are no window coverings, tenants tend to nail up old sheets to cover the windows and it looks awful and the nails damage the window frames.
Yes, I've seen that in other rentals. It makes sense to provide window coverings to save damage to trim, as OldHag point out as well.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I provide window treatments because it makes the houses easier to rent, and I don't want the tenants screwing around with the windows (double entendre intended!).

Carpets are a decoration issue. My houses vary with all houses having part carpeting and part wood, tile or slate floors.

In my case nicer looking houses are easier to rent and get higher rental prices. I'd be happy living in any one of them (if it weren't for the "hot as Phoenix" weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting