Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM

414 posts, read 907,269 times

Advertisements

Glad you are running away from this kook. I would have a hard enough time with any clause like that. We like to have friends over now and then, and some friends come visit from out of town, as well as FAMILY. Hell no on one is going to tell me that my brother, sister in law, nephew, mother...etc can not visit me for a reasonable amount of time.

Upon further reading of your lease my suspicions were confirmed... (I read this thread like watching a movie...) that your prospective LL was and is a KOOK and is probably not totally on the up and up. Good thing you decided to run... run like the wind and get away. I sure would have. Hope you can find a good place that is suitable for you and allows you the privacy and freedom that you deserve as an adult. The last thing anyone wants is a 2nd 'parent'. I'm a responsible adult and I PAY RENT for my home. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
So many of the issues on this forum could be avoided if more people were like you, read the lease, and really considered whether it was a reasonable and livable contract before it is signed. Good job! And good decision. No way would I accept such a paternalistic clause, and as you noted, it was just the tip of the iceberg and there were other unreasonable clauses buried in the contract as well. The best protection from this sort of thing is to just walk away if you have doubts or it doesn't feel right.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitWil View Post
NorasMom - Sounds about right, this LL was in his 80's and renting a two-family house. He had mentioned he was previously a house inspector and wanted to avoid being embarrassed by the town's other inspectors. He went so far as to stipulate (in the lease) that we were required to buy a snow shovel to help them shovel in the winter.
I'm glad we're not taking this place.
Hopefully you found something that wasn't too crazy!
I did, but it was in a building that was later condemned and I was probably risking my life living in that place (there wasn't just a crack in the floor...there was a fault line). I had a dog, so I needed to live SOMEWHERE.

Hope you ended up finding a place!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 PM

21 posts, read 24,228 times
Imagine you own a building and are renting out a two bedroom apartment. Imagine unlike this prudent landlord you deside not to have an overnight guest policy.

You rent the apartment to two guys. Lets call them A and B.

Guy A invites his mother, father, two brothers and sisters to spend the year with him while guy B invites 4 cousins 5 friends and his barber to live with him for 8 months.

By the time you realise this is going on all the "guests" have been there long enough to get residency and you are going to have to go through a big giant hassle to evict them all.

Furthermore if a landlord did a backround check and or credit check on you that check wasnt on your guests now was it? If your "overnight guest" stays long enough to become a resident and then causes problems that can be a big issue.

For all the landlord knows your guest is planning on staying longer then a year and spliting the rent with you in retern and could be a pedophile, convicted rapist, drug addict, or drug dealer.

Want to see what 10 people living in a two bedroom 1 bath can do to the plumming or how about the extra wear and tare?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitWil View Post
We're looking into an apartment and reviewing the lease. The lease states "NO OVERNIGHT GUESTS" and the landlord was pretty adamant about it (going so far as to say he watched who came in and out of the apartment, and memorized faces). Other than that comment, he seemed like a nice guy and the apartment is in great shape.

We are (2) 20-somethings who, of course, would have an overnight guest every once in a while -- family or friends. I wouldn't be crazy about having anyone stay more than one night. I don't want anyone extra living at my apartment, and I have no intention of having guests over frequently at all, really (I like having my own space).

So my question is, is this even legal for him to say that?
Can he evict us for a breach of the lease if we have someone stay over one night?

If not allowing guests can be considered a landlord "rule and regulation" and I an in violation of that, I suppose he has legal reason to evict us.
But if is legal for him to not allow guests at all?

Before anyone asks, I am fairly certain I will not get him to take that off the lease. Also pretty sure I can't get him to re-word it, but that probably has a better chance than getting it wiped completely.

I just don't know if this apartment is worth it with that on the lease.

Thanks for any advice.
Look elsewhere if you can not agree to terms of lease; plain and simple.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
This thread is 4 years old I would venture to guess the issue has been resolved by now.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 24,228 times
That landlord wasnt weird or a kook, he was just not being an idiot and making sure people dont take advantage of him.

Dose everyone now understand no overnight guest policies?

Also what if a landlord who dose backrounds comes over to fix a leaky pipe or whatever and a "overnight guest" who is nuts and has a very violent record flipps out and attacks him then lies to the police and falsly accuses him of stuff? Or what if one of your guests is prone to faking injuries and launching bogus lawsuits?

You could decide to invite a guest who unknown to you has a record of pedophilia or rape over and let him live with you for all the landlord knows. He is covering his butt.

Many tennents have friends move in and pay rent without telling the landlord. That landlords being smart.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistsRthieves View Post
That landlord wasnt weird or a kook, he was just not being an idiot and making sure people dont take advantage of him.

Dose everyone now understand no overnight guest policies?

Also what if a landlord who dose backrounds comes over to fix a leaky pipe or whatever and a "overnight guest" who is nuts and has a very violent record flipps out and attacks him then lies to the police and falsly accuses him of stuff? Or what if one of your guests is prone to faking injuries and launching bogus lawsuits?

You could decide to invite a guest who unknown to you has a record of pedophilia or rape over and let him live with you for all the landlord knows. He is covering his butt.

Many tennents have friends move in and pay rent without telling the landlord. That landlords being smart.
That guest policy is not the norm. Doesn't matter why the landlord is doing it. All that matters is how much control over your life you are willing to give your landlord. I wouldn't let my landlord have that much control and I think most people would feel the same way.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I dont need Watch I am an ADULT! Any LL wanting to be this controlling Needs to Sell find some other way to pay his bills! This LL is a STALKER IMO

Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM

274 posts, read 427,381 times
My apartment in college was a small efficiency attached to an older retired couples house. They had as a rule, and it was in the lease, no overnight male visitors (females were fine), males were fine during the day/evening, just not overnight.

rent was cheap, $475 including utilities, but the lack of privacy was a bit irritating, they'd come in all the time through the adjoining door without notice, walked in once while I was getting dressed.

I just made sure if I spent the night with a SO it was at their place not mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting