Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahonmind View Post
I live in an apartment complex with a neighbor above and neighbor below. One of those basic complexes, probably cheaply made apartments, no real soundproofing, etc. Nothing like brick or concrete construction.

Anyway. My upstairs neighbor is nuts and ghetto, first of all. Recently, I have been noticing that she has been able to locate me wherever I move in the apartment. This has not always been the case. I walk softly, and again this is the upstairs -- not the downstairs -- neighbor.

One day I walked into my bedroom, sat down on the bed and shortly thereafter I heard her move her bed (or other furniture) aside and then sit above me on her floor. On other occasions, she has followed me into the kitchen, promptly dropping something over my head right where I was standing.

At the risk of welcoming all the paranoia and tin-foil hat comments, I am asking:

1) Is it possible that she is somehow tracking me through my apartment? Yes.

2) If so, how? (As far as I know, there is no device that lets you "see" through a wall/floor, so what gives?) It's called ghetto sonar.

3) What can I do about it?
Get out, now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM

66 posts, read 214,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneName4Me View Post
Same here. I'm super quiet and I live alone. I only watch TV online with a headphone so how in the world does he know when I'm able to hear him taunting me if he is not watching me somehow? My crazy neighbor mumbles things at me. I can't quite hear exactly what he's saying but it's always in response to any noises I make, however slight like running the water or moving a chair, coughing, etc...

I would turn my tv or radio on. If he is really crazy he might be paranoid and could think that by you being completely silent, you are just as interested in what he is doing as he is interested in your activities. I would have friends over and make some noise even if its having a radio or tv on. Its not fair that you have to live in fear and complete silence and can't enjoy your apartment because of this weirdo!

Last edited by happyrenter99; 01-24-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM

66 posts, read 214,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneName4Me View Post
I'm not joking. I've even left a note on my computer stating that if I die or go missing under mysterious events, it was my neighbor above me.
If its that bad it might be seriously time to get out of dodge.....just saying...

Old 03-19-2014, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 52,450 times
Default Neighbors Following Me as Well

If you find that your upstairs neighbors are following you around the house and they seem to know where you are no matter where you are in your apartment as they drop some heavy item over your head or rush to meet with you in the bathroom whenever you have to do your business then you are not alone.

Mod Cut off topic...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-19-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 49,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahonmind View Post
So.....it's a possibility?!?!?

Yes, I am very aware of our cookie cutter layouts. The thing is, she went from not being aware of where I was to being HYPER aware, down to the exact location -- from which she would promptly drop something or stomp directly overhead.

I know it sounds crazy.

Waiting for fellow paranoid apartment dwellers to check in...
You are not the only one, I've gotten to the point where I thought they were in my attic (I don't know how they would get in, it's a condominium click complex) and climbing ladders to listen from my 2nd floor window. I have actually tested it by going in a walk in closet, a moment later I would hear muffled running to that spot in their place.

It's easy for the imagination to spawn reality, remember, reality is not what what our sensory receptors register. Reality is what the brain does with the information and subsequently how it is processed. Just as we have the ability to dream the most contorted impossible scenarios, when it is happening we rarely question.

As for me, were my perceptions the result of an actual person's movement or was my imagination reproducing the data of past sensory registers? I don't know I'm usually able to shrug it off later on or the following day,...usually.

Usually life experience has us ignore or dismiss perceptions that seem impossible, behind the scene of our every day existence. It is when we begin to override that of which is frequently dismissed and regard it as real, this is when it becomes a problem.

My advice, cope with what you think you are experiencing, run it through your set of qualifying filters. If at the end you still feel what you experienced was the result of a physical happening vice imaginary, approach it with hard evidence. Confront it whenever possible, and SAFE, bearing in mind it's going to be uncomfortable- Get to know that neighbor, and when the time is right, bring forward what you think you hear. Worst case, they'll shun you away and calm up, but at least you have acknowledged awareness, and it can only get better. I confronted my attic theory by swiftly going up there to see what, if anything, was there. Nada... and there are no walking paths in my attic, so it impossible to run and escape (to where exactly, I don't know, lol). It's my imagination, I still have the feeling someone's up there from time to time, but having had disproven that somebody was never there in the past, I can have peace of mind.

Both experiences still exist today, I mean even though I disproved it as imagination, its side by side with me really feeling a person was up there. If that makes sense.

If you determine there's not actually a nosey neighbor but still perceive the "following neighbor", just laugh at yourself and live life as best as you can.

If it becomes worse, or you just can't cope, seek help from a doctor. When we lose the power to discern real perception vs imagined perception, that's the beginning symptom of schizophrenia among other neurological diseases.

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
This entire thread has me scratching my head. Why would an upstairs neighbor be interested in your movements? Your life is probably every bit as boring as their's is.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 49,385 times
To everyone going through this: You're not crazy. The floors in the apartment complex I live in are very noisy when people walk on them, and the ceilings are low, so I can hear my upstairs neighbor as he follows me from room to room, for 8 - 18 hours a day (I own a business and work at home.) He's done this to friends and relatives visiting as well, and he stomps as hard as he can while he does this. I've also gotten the impression he can hear everything I do (it's a long story.) He throws tantrums whenever I have friends or a guy over, stomping on the floor and yelling (I have several witnesses.) My car and my apartment have been broken into several times, but I have no real proof of who did it, of course, because that's how stalkers operate.

Being a pretty smart gal, I got an EMF reader, turned off the electricity in my apartment and investigated. (EMF readers measure the presence of electronic devices.) There are small holes in the ceiling in the kitchen, in the hall in front of the bathroom, the bedroom and near the front door. The EMF reader is registering abnormally high levels around these ceiling holes and in the building air ducts as well. The levels around the air ducts especially is astronomical. This week, I am hiring a company to do a professional EMF evaluation. It only costs around $100. I will be taking these results to a lawyer and filing a police report dealing with the stalker.

You can download a free EMF reader app if you have a smartphone. The professional EMF handheld devices are going to be $200+. I've measured my apartment with both. Everyone dealing with this should take these measurements.

Something is going on that defies human understanding, logic and reason. It's maddening dealing with being hunted and harassed in your own home. It's a form of slow torture. Get that EMF reader, and get to work on the jerks! Good luck.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:18 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey1 View Post
To everyone going through this: You're not crazy. The floors in the apartment complex I live in are very noisy when people walk on them, and the ceilings are low, so I can hear my upstairs neighbor as he follows me from room to room, for 8 - 18 hours a day (I own a business and work at home.) He's done this to friends and relatives visiting as well, and he stomps as hard as he can while he does this. I've also gotten the impression he can hear everything I do (it's a long story.) He throws tantrums whenever I have friends or a guy over, stomping on the floor and yelling (I have several witnesses.) My car and my apartment have been broken into several times, but I have no real proof of who did it, of course, because that's how stalkers operate.

Being a pretty smart gal, I got an EMF reader, turned off the electricity in my apartment and investigated. (EMF readers measure the presence of electronic devices.) There are small holes in the ceiling in the kitchen, in the hall in front of the bathroom, the bedroom and near the front door. The EMF reader is registering abnormally high levels around these ceiling holes and in the building air ducts as well. The levels around the air ducts especially is astronomical. This week, I am hiring a company to do a professional EMF evaluation. It only costs around $100. I will be taking these results to a lawyer and filing a police report dealing with the stalker.

You can download a free EMF reader app if you have a smartphone. The professional EMF handheld devices are going to be $200+. I've measured my apartment with both. Everyone dealing with this should take these measurements.

Something is going on that defies human understanding, logic and reason. It's maddening dealing with being hunted and harassed in your own home. It's a form of slow torture. Get that EMF reader, and get to work on the jerks! Good luck.
Josey,

Glad you're taking steps to try and prove this.

Those who've never lived next to an insane neighbor could never understand this behavior. In all my years of renting never have I had neighbors that tracked my every move until I moved to this building.

Moving wasn't an option for various reasons so I had to pray and put up with hoping these people would either be locked up, put out, or just move on their own volition. It took what seemed like forever but they were eventually evicted and I couldn't be happier. It's so much more peaceful.

These people were not only insane to the utmost but also criminally insane where the boyfriend either was a gang member or just friends w/ the local gang. With the help of the Super they were able to hack my computers and smartphone with knowledge of my email address (they sent email enabling keyloggers), there began the nightmare. They stole cable services, listened to my phone calls, had my phone number, and harassed me by stomping overhead, and yelling out the window at me. Also harassing through my phone by either calling or texting nonsense text with untraceable numbers.

I'm disabled and at the time I would sleep most of the day due to low energy. These people (gf/bf) would put their speakers in the window then blast their music, well I shouldn't call it music since it was the bf trying to rap. It was awful terrible noise. When others complained that stopped only for them to find new ways to annoy me.

I wrote in this thread earlier about some of the goings-on. Not only was this an effort to steal from me, leech services off me but to get me to move so they could have my apartment which was cheaper. You see they were running out of time and they tried their best to make it happen since the apartment they rented they couldn't afford.

I'm concerned about how much more damage they've done, if it impacted my credit.

I'm hoping the next tenants that will live above me are honest good respectable sane people. I've since changed the locks and added security gates on my windows.

I live in crazy New York City were this sort of thing isn't so far fetched. Again, good luck with your problem and I hope your nutcase isn't to the extreme of the ones I dealt with.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 49,253 times
I live in the same situation. Hear everything from neighbors but one neighbor in particular lives below me and he has PTSD. He literally follows me through out my apartment. He will even scream ****** and "your dead" from his apartment. As soon as I started typing this I can hear him say " I hate that ******"; for he can hear my typing. I need to buy a new bed so the bed makes alot of noise as I get into it and immediately he screams " your dead ******"! One day I was going for a walk and he pulls up in his car to ask me if I needed a ride home. So like an idiot I say yes and he says to me " do you hear me acting or saying crazy things"? I told him no I dont hear anything (in fear he might do something). He says to me " I have a guy from the VA Hospital monitoring me because I might lose it because of the neighbor's noise across from me ( I stay above him). Now I dont mean to sound paranoid but this particular person he says is monitoring him really is the neighbor that lives across from him. I could go on. Now I will say I live in a 6 unit apartment building in a suburban housing district, beautifully wooded with a two lakes in Atlanta, GA, the landlord is very nice, I can pay rent anytime long as its in the month. So I dont know what to do but just take it. But I do feel my life maybe in danger.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Misstory, you need some hard core professional help...You need to call your pysch hospital and see about signing yourself in.....or better yet, print what you posted, head to the local ER and read to them what you wrote...they will baker act you and you will be held for evaluation..(this way is better, you can't sign yourself out)

I think you're a danger to yourself and the general population...please get help and remove your foil hat you look a tad silly (but do wear it to the ER..they will want to test is for demon seed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting