Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 AM

152 posts, read 392,421 times

Advertisements

I moved into a new, third floor apartment a couple months ago after issues in my older apartment. The new apartment is in a very nice location so I was very excited to move in! Upon move in, I soon discovered that the apartment contains double cylinder deadbolts (deadbolt that requires a key both on the inside and outside). The door is metal and there is no glass nearby that a potential invader could break through to unlock my door from the inside, which I hear is why people usually invest in double cylinder deadlocks.

I am concerned that if I lock the deadbolt as recommended for obvious safety reasons, and there is a fire or I somehow lose my key, that I could be trapped in my own apartment. Also, if I have a guest who decides to leave the apartment and accidentally locks the deadbolt while I'm inside, I will have no way of getting out.

I have approached my landlord several times about this and have basically been told that there's nothing they can do. I don't feel comfortable without a deadbolt, but I don't feel comfortable with a deadbolt that requires a key from the inside either. Several people have recommended leaving the key in the lock, but I still feel uncomfortable with even needing a key period! What also baffles me is that the door has no peephole. It seems very strange for a solid door to have a double cylinder locks but no peephole to see who is knocking on the door.

What recourse do I have? How are these locks even legal? It seems that they can easily be a death trap in many situations.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Can't answer your legality question, but why in the world don't you get a second key and keep it in your wallet or car? I deliberately had that type of deadbolt added to my house when I moved in, as a safety feature.

I don't think the LL is going to be responsible for your or a guest's stupidity or panic. As you describe the situation, just leave the key in the lock.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Can't answer your legality question, but why in the world don't you get a second key and keep it in your wallet or car? I deliberately had that type of deadbolt added to my house when I moved in, as a safety feature.

I don't think the LL is going to be responsible for your or a guest's stupidity or panic. As you describe the situation, just leave the key in the lock.
I agree. There are plenty of ways to hide an extra key and I'd be grateful that such a great security lock is there.

As far as a peephole is concerned, they're easily obtainable, are very inexpensive and can be installed in half an hour even in a metal door. Ask your LL if there would be a problem putting one in and then, if he doesn't want to bear the expense, offer to do it yourself or pay someone to do it.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Why don't you just leave the key in lock? that's what friends of mine do when they are home. When they leave, they hang the key by the door. they don't need it to get it because each one has one on their keychains and in each car.

you'd hate living my second home..burglar bars with padlocks on all windows and doors....the price for living in the West Indies.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
I moved into a new, third floor apartment a couple months ago after issues in my older apartment. The new apartment is in a very nice location so I was very excited to move in! Upon move in, I soon discovered that the apartment contains double cylinder deadbolts (deadbolt that requires a key both on the inside and outside). The door is metal and there is no glass nearby that a potential invader could break through to unlock my door from the inside, which I hear is why people usually invest in double cylinder deadlocks.

I am concerned that if I lock the deadbolt as recommended for obvious safety reasons, and there is a fire or I somehow lose my key, that I could be trapped in my own apartment. Also, if I have a guest who decides to leave the apartment and accidentally locks the deadbolt while I'm inside, I will have no way of getting out.

I have approached my landlord several times about this and have basically been told that there's nothing they can do. I don't feel comfortable without a deadbolt, but I don't feel comfortable with a deadbolt that requires a key from the inside either. Several people have recommended leaving the key in the lock, but I still feel uncomfortable with even needing a key period! What also baffles me is that the door has no peephole. It seems very strange for a solid door to have a double cylinder locks but no peephole to see who is knocking on the door.

What recourse do I have? How are these locks even legal? It seems that they can easily be a death trap in many situations.

Thanks in advance!
Most leases require that if you change the lock you must notify the landlord and provide a key for him. However, I don't see that there would be a problem with you changing the lock from a dual key to a single key (with an inside thumb latch), as long as you keep it keyed the same as it is now.

Just have a locksmith change it, or if you are handy enough to know how to just change the inside from a key port to a thumb latch, do it yourself. Just make sure that when you leave the apartment you put it back the way you found it. I doubt that anyone would have a problem with that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
you'd hate living my second home..burglar bars with padlocks on all windows and doors....the price for living in the West Indies.
Rather OT, but where is your second home in the West Indies? My business on St Thomas had bars on the windows but they're not "normal" here on residences except in a few tricky 'hoods. I actually rather liked having them (apart from general security reasons) when tropical storms/hurricanes pass through as the bars are an excellent foil to deflect large flying objects! My present home just has glass louvers and screens and no shutters. I guess when a hurricane watch is sounded it's going to be a "drag out the plywood panels and a drill" routine which doesn't thrill me too much!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Rather OT, but where is your second home in the West Indies? My business on St Thomas had bars on the windows but they're not "normal" here on residences except in a few tricky 'hoods. I actually rather liked having them (apart from general security reasons) when tropical storms/hurricanes pass through as the bars are an excellent foil to deflect large flying objects! My present home just has glass louvers and screens and no shutters. I guess when a hurricane watch is sounded it's going to be a "drag out the plywood panels and a drill" routine which doesn't thrill me too much!

In Jamaica.

Just about all the homes have grills and gates ( a fancy way of saying burglar bars lolol) Only the poorest homes don't have bars...they may have old fashion plantation shutters on the outside of their homes....no screens. My neighbor thought we were nuts for putting screens in our windows...lol that's ok..they think I'm even nuttier for letting my dog in my house.

I don't know of anyone who has hurricane shutters down here. I do know ppl who have large wooden plantation shutters (not the old old ones but new to look old), but not the metal or plexiglass ones you see stateside.

I like the bars. They did take awhile to get used to go and we learned quickly that white bars on a dark night on the veranda will make your eyes go batty..lol..so now all bars are black.

We did the plywood thing ONCE in Florida..and once was enough..after that we had shutter installed..it was well worth it.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
We live in a rental (sfh). Our town requires a rental license and the property has to be inspected every few years. Our place had the kind of lock that your apartment has. We had to change it to the type with the latch inside and not the key. It is considered a safety issue for the reasons you are concerned about. Of course, this is just the policy here. We are inspected by code enforcement officers who usually also work for the fire department.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
I don't know about where you live, but where I live a dead bolt that requires a key on both sides is illegal in a residential unit - for fire reasons. They're fine in commercial buildings - but not allowed in homes.

If your landlord won't address it, call the fire department! It wouldn't be my first choice to get my landlord in trouble, but I would definitely not want to live in a home with that kind of lock.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I don't know about where you live, but where I live a dead bolt that requires a key on both sides is illegal in a residential unit - for fire reasons. They're fine in commercial buildings - but not allowed in homes.

If your landlord won't address it, call the fire department! It wouldn't be my first choice to get my landlord in trouble, but I would definitely not want to live in a home with that kind of lock.

Maybe instead of flipping out they should check their state landlord tenant laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting