Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM

156 posts, read 920,264 times

Advertisements

Hi Again..

I have to make a choice today or tomorrow on getting a second floor apartment or a third floor.. I decided against the first floor for security.. I have never lived in this type of apartment situation.. I worry the 2nd floor will be a nightmare with people running above my head, but walking up 3 flights of stairs is not too appealing....

Has anybody rented 2nd or 3rd and can offer a first hand opinion?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 AM

247 posts, read 997,763 times
We live on the second floor of an apartment complex. We do hear our neighbors upstairs (walking) but it's not so bad. After a while you get use to it. One thing I have noticed is that we have yet to turn on the heat in the apartment. The heat from the apartment below has kept our apartment quite warm (maybe a bit too warm).

Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,351 times
About eight years ago we lived in an apartment complex on the third floor. We loved that we didn't have anyone above us (but we also had an elevator which was great when I had a load of groceries). We also lived on a first floor apartment once and WILL NEVER do this or recommend it. We could hear the toilets flushing and everyone walking around. Take the third floor and you'll get in even better physical shape and won't hear people walking above you at all hours.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Hi Again..

I have to make a choice today or tomorrow on getting a second floor apartment or a third floor.. I decided against the first floor for security.. I have never lived in this type of apartment situation.. I worry the 2nd floor will be a nightmare with people running above my head, but walking up 3 flights of stairs is not too appealing....

Thanks
I lived in a 3rd floor apartment in my early 20s. I would not recommend it to anyone. I didn't like multiple trips to the car to fetch groceries in 100+ degree heat, and it definitely wasn't fun moving in and out.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
I did 6 months in a 3rd floor apartment during a 115 degree summer. Boy was it HOT on the top floor! No ventilation in the interior hallway.

Other than that, no problem. The apartment was at the head of the flight of stairs. Yes, lugging groceries or my bike up the stairs was sometimes a pain, but I liked the exercise. Moving in/out was tough, but the elevators at the end of the hall helped. Never used them after that.

The view was the best part. The quiet was the 2nd best part. If I had a choice of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, I'd pick 3rd. Especially in a cold area or during the winter.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Hi Again..

Thanks
I live on the 3rd floor right now. It's a bit of a pain when it comes to hauling up things, but on the whole I love it. It's much less noisy, has a better view, is more private, and I feel safer. It also has features the 1st and 2nd floor apartments don't offer such as higher ceilings, crown molding and a fireplace.

The downside is there is no apartment above for added insulation, so it's hotter, and colder - which equates to a higher electric bill. It's definately more of a pain at moving time, and I dread when my lease is up!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

156 posts, read 920,264 times
Thank you all so much!! I never even thought of the lower electric bill..
I think I might roll the dice at the 2nd floor.. I have a bike and I don't see me hauling that to the third floor.. lol.. Plus they don't have garbage pick-up. I have to lug that too..

Thanks again all!!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 AM

261 posts, read 954,469 times
We had a 3rd floor apartment and it was great! The low electric bill, no neighbors above us, and we were on a corner so we only had the one neighbor next to us that shared a wall. We had a nice view of the parking lot and it was neat to watch the front end loader come in and plow. We moved to get closer to our jobs which mine was 1.5 hours away.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
I will never live with someone above me.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,727 times
I would love o nthe 3rd floor.... it's going to be quieter.. an me personally.. I don't have much furniture and only go to the grocery store once every 10 days, so that isn't too bad lugging the groceries up.. my fat ass needs the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting