Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,603,686 times

Advertisements

Can you prove you paid the rent? A copy of a check may not meant much especially if they claim they never got it. I can write a check, make a copy but not mail it. If you delivered it in person or mailed it with proof of mailing, you should be alright. Another option is to pay the rent and get a recipt while putting a stop payment on the other check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 26,827 times
I received a three day noticeto quit dated for the following day. Is this an actual notice or is my apartment manager collecting the rent

Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM

i never paid the rent because the apt complex changed owners. I received notice of the new owner without a phone number to which my deposit was transfered to but when it was time to pay the rent i wanted to make sure with the apartment manager to whom of which it was payable to but she said not the owners name but the apartment complex name

Old 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM

then i received a letter on the property owners letter head from the apartment manager stating i needed to make payment. It looked like the apartment manager typed it herself. First mistake the letter didnt display my unit number it had poor engish charactoristics such as run on sentences, she noted an identified herself still as the "resident Manager" displaying exactly with the capital M. After a period in a sentence forgotten space after the period. No contact information for her or the new property owners but if i had an issue the apartment manager could not handle, for the tenant (me) to write to an address.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Double check with [URL="http://www.white"]www.white[/URL] pages .com the address provide was unknown

Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 13,246 times
I am only a month behind on my rent, due to a finically hardship. My lease ends May 1st, so I actually have to be out sometime late April anyways. My landlard gave me a pay or quit. If I move out in 3 days (quit) do I still have to pay rent to them up till May even though I will not be living there anymore?

(I am in California)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,750,210 times
IMO, you cannot use your deposit to pay the last months rent. You are in a contract and for 1 month, why ruin your rental history and credit. Lately, rental history is even more important than credit score.
In California, you will have State Laws, and local laws. I've heard horror stories about it taking 6 months to evict in Berkeley. It only hurts the honest people, in the long run, who are forced to make larger deposits.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 13,246 times
I am only a month behind on my rent, due to a finically hardship. -My lease ends May 1st, so I actually have to be out sometime late April anyways- but my landlord went ahead and gave me gave me a pay or quit notice today. If I move out in 3 days (quit) do I still have to pay rent to them up till May(when my lease ends) even though I will not be living there anymore?

(I am in California)

Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,569 times
i received a 3day notice to pay or quit 3/6, so that means that by 3/9 i should be out? Well I sent them an e-mail letting them know that my mom passed away 2/23 and stuff justed happend, but i will be able to pay the before the 15th of the month. shold i seek legal help for the 3day notice to pay or quit?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,356,590 times
Lots of random people tagging on to this post, so first I will say that it is best to start your own thread, since it gets tough to follow who is talking to whom. I will just address the two most recent posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizManny View Post
I am only a month behind on my rent, due to a finically hardship. -My lease ends May 1st, so I actually have to be out sometime late April anyways- but my landlord went ahead and gave me gave me a pay or quit notice today. If I move out in 3 days (quit) do I still have to pay rent to them up till May(when my lease ends) even though I will not be living there anymore?

(I am in California)
If you have not paid March rent, then it is reasonable for them to give you an eviction notice. That way the process is started now instead of later, since it sounds like you may not have Aprils next month anyway. Then if you don't move when you are supposed to, they are already out 2 month's rent AND they still have to evict you.

If you move out within the 3 days, and leave the place in good, clean condition without damage, most landlords are going to just write off the loss and move forward. You won't get your deposit back, most likely, but you won't owe any more either. However, I'm not familiar with California law to know if they LEGALLY can still go after you. I will say that most landlords realize you can't get blood from a stone, and if you cooperate on moving, they won't beat you up.

If they have to take you all the way to court to get you out, they are going to go after the MAXIMUM legally allowed, and will likely ruin your credit. So it is in your best interest to cooperate and move as requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarie32 View Post
i received a 3day notice to pay or quit 3/6, so that means that by 3/9 i should be out? Well I sent them an e-mail letting them know that my mom passed away 2/23 and stuff justed happend, but i will be able to pay the before the 15th of the month. shold i seek legal help for the 3day notice to pay or quit?
Usually, the date of service is not counted in the 3 days, and in this case it was a weekend anyway, so yes, I would say that you should be out by the 9th. I am sorry to hear that your mother died, and I understand that can cause you to have a lot of unexpected expenses, but the landlord has to treat it as a business. If it is your first late, I would talk to them, explain the situation and see if they will work with you (expect to pay late fees). If it is not your first late, they probably won't work with you, and want you to vacate. I will say that in many cases, an eviction notice can be avoided by YOU contacting THEM before your rent is late, to explain. We actually are pretty lenient on tenants if they call us. If I have to call them, they get full late fees or an eviction notice, depending whether it is a first offense or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting