Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 03:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually those 55+ places also except Disabled at ANY Age. I lived in a place like that I was only 50. My son in his 30s was told once he got his SSD/I he too could live there.
Actually, in Florida, at least, that is not the entire truth. (I do believe it's Federal, applicable in all states)
Communities MAY allow an exemption for any reason, if they choose to do so, if their 80/20percentage is maintained but do not have to make the exception just by virtue of a disability

Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Actually, in Florida, at least, that is not the entire truth. (I do believe it's Federal, applicable in all states)
Communities MAY allow an exemption for any reason, if they choose to do so, if their 80/20percentage is maintained but do not have to make the exception just by virtue of a disability
I remember this case:

A Slippery Slope

The problem isn’t entirely new. Take for instance the cautionary tale of Youngtown, Ariz., credited as the first age-restricted community in the nation. In 1996, 16-year-old Chaz Cope moved in with his grandparents in the senior community to escape his abusive stepfather.

Cope’s grandparents petitioned the association to allow the teenager to stay with them until he finished high school, but the board bristled.

“It was scary. I didn’t have nowhere else to go and I definitely wasn’t going back to that abusive household,” Cope, now 31, told AOL Real Estate. (He’s pictured left with his 4-year-old daughter.)

But when the story garnered mainstream attention, the Arizona attorney general’s office ordered a stay on Cope’s eviction and initiated a 10-month investigation of the community. It turned out that the town had improperly sought its age-restricted status and the town lost its exemption altogether, allowing Cope — and anyone else inclined to live among a majority of seniors — to move into the community.

“I made it so anybody could live in that community,” Cope said, with a measure of pride.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_1189029.html

Old 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Ah, but you knew enough to qualify the Request. Unfortunately, many landlords apply ADA standards instead of the correct FHA Act standards so they have no idea what they are doing and get it all mixed up.

I have no issue with landlords taking adverse action against a tenant who tried to play a game. But withholding advance disclosure of a legitimate Assistance Animal is not game playing, it's allowed to protect the disabled from bad landlords who play games. I love how landlord think its tenants playing games when in reality, landlords play just as many games.
The key words being legitimate Assistance Animal. I would estimate that 90% of people I've encountered over the years who "have an assistance animal" were fakers. They've gotten some doctor to write them a note, who has no knowledge of any disabilities that tenant may or may not have. Or they've flat out faked a doctors note. Or they don't have a doctor's note at all, and claim it is a service animal and they don't have to provide documentation. Or they've downloaded an "official certificate" from any number of websites. Makes it really hard for those who actually ARE disabled.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM

304 posts, read 295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
The key words being legitimate Assistance Animal. I would estimate that 90% of people I've encountered over the years who "have an assistance animal" were fakers. They've gotten some doctor to write them a note, who has no knowledge of any disabilities that tenant may or may not have. Or they've flat out faked a doctors note. Or they don't have a doctor's note at all, and claim it is a service animal and they don't have to provide documentation. Or they've downloaded an "official certificate" from any number of websites. Makes it really hard for those who actually ARE disabled.
What evidence do you have that they were fake? If they've forged a doctor's note, that's illegal and can and should be reported. If a doctor is mistreating a patient, that probably has some ethical concerns that should also be investigated.

But if all this is is you thinking you know more than a person about their own health or that you know more than their doctor, then you don't have a leg to stand on. Your opinion would based heavily in discrimination.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I went to a Fair Housing presentation this past summer, curious and I was looking at renting out my property that I was working on this summer.

I am pretty sure that Fair Housing laws protect you regardless of whether the owner wants to allow pets. I asked that question verbatim....and was told by a FH attorney that it doesn't matter if I wanted to rent my property without allowing pets....if I accepted a client and then they said they had a service animal I would have no recourse, the animal would stay.

So, if I were you I'd contact your local HUD office...and check with Fair Housing and ask them how you should approach this.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/~/media/ex.../SAandADA.ashx

Old 01-04-2018, 04:48 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
What evidence do you have that they were fake? If they've forged a doctor's note, that's illegal and can and should be reported. If a doctor is mistreating a patient, that probably has some ethical concerns that should also be investigated.

But if all this is is you thinking you know more than a person about their own health or that you know more than their doctor, then you don't have a leg to stand on. Your opinion would based heavily in discrimination.
For the most part, I don't know that any particular one was a fake. But I do understand statistics and I know that it is NOT true that 75% of animals are legitimate assistance animals, so I know that a large number of them had to be fakes.

Some of them, I'm reasonably certain were fakes because owners of real service animals don't buy fake certificates from sleazy websites.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
For the most part, I don't know that any particular one was a fake. But I do understand statistics and I know that it is NOT true that 75% of animals are legitimate assistance animals, so I know that a large number of them had to be fakes.

Some of them, I'm reasonably certain were fakes because owners of real service animals don't buy fake certificates from sleazy websites.
Again, what proof do you have? Where have you found these numbers and statistics? How do you "know" any of this?

If my life would be easier with a 'fake certificate', I'd certainly buy one from a website, sleazy or not. Perhaps the certificate makes that particular person's life easier? You don't know, probably because you didn't ask.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Again, what proof do you have? Where have you found these numbers and statistics? How do you "know" any of this?

If my life would be easier with a 'fake certificate', I'd certainly buy one from a website, sleazy or not. Perhaps the certificate makes that particular person's life easier? You don't know, probably because you didn't ask.
A legitimate person with a disability that justified a service animal or ESA would not have to buy a fake certificate. So if someone goes that route, guess what they're saying about themselves?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A legitimate person with a disability that justified a service animal or ESA would not have to buy a fake certificate. So if someone goes that route, guess what they're saying about themselves?
Well, a lot of landlords want a certificate, regardless of its source. So from the point of view of the person with a service animal, printing out a certificate might satisfy said landlord. What they're saying about themselves in those cases is that they'll do what it takes to get a place to live, even if that means printing out a fake certificate for their very real service dog.

I think this is more common for small service dogs - for instance, a good friend of mine has a hearing alert dog. They don't need to be GSDs or Labs to alert to sounds. Her current dog is a Min Pin/Mini Dachshund mix, and her previous dog (who died at 4 years of age due to injuries sustained in a car accident) was a Min Pin. People tend not to believe that such a small dog can be a service dog. Probably they're thinking of Guide Dogs for the Blind, which have to be larger.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Do you know how many times I've been asked for a certificate for my SD? Too many to count. It would be a lot easier to offer up a stupid certificate than to explain that there's no such thing. I've been asked for a cert from landlords and have to tell them that they are ignorant. Maybe people don't want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting