Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,979 times

Advertisements

Like I said people have a right to come & go as they please and <gasp> some people are even heavy walkers or dare to speak to someone in the middle of the night, or turn on their TV or have children that cry or play (the audacity I know). Your burden as a renter is too realize that normal everyday activities may be more noticeable to you & you either have to figure out a way to block out the noise OR not rent in area where people live around you. Because people have the right to go about a normal level of activity. That being said noone should have to put up with UNREASONABLE levels of noises (ie loud parties in the middle of the night with garbage being thrown etc.) Anything that would cause the cops to be called in a single family neighborhood goes for an apt complex as well. Otherwise it is time to realize the world does not revolve around YOUR schedule & if you need to not hear people going about their daily duties then an apt complex is not an appropriate living environment for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmar4401 View Post
...you are required to be as quiet as possible so not to "disturb the neighbors." FU.

...do not live in an apartment if you are "living." be quiet, stay on the couch, tv low, music low, no company after 10:00 pm. might as well live in some fn communistic country...
Right. Because god knows if you're not sitting inside every possible waking hour with the tv blaring you are not really living. People who go outdoors, go out to other places, read, have conversations with others that don't involve yelling, or exercise basic consideration for those around them are LOSERS.

I'll move to the "communistic??" country if you move to the country where people live amid piles of garbage and rampant crime and no sanitation and nobody has a job to go to and everybody does anything they want without any regard for their surroundings.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,884 times
Default making whoopee

how about making whoope have the night and making all kind of weird noise doing it they sound like a bunch of monkeys or catrs or maybe both and it goes on from midnight till morning

Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanp334 View Post
how about making whoope have the night and making all kind of weird noise doing it they sound like a bunch of monkeys or catrs or maybe both and it goes on from midnight till morning
Silence is golden...I have a "noisy" room mate...and if I happen to be home (weekends only), I put my headphones on and turn up the volume so I don't have to hear it.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:07 AM

37,745 posts, read 40,809,970 times
I think I jinxed myself with a year ago post in this thread. I have a neighbor whose bedroom is on the opposite wall of mine and whose alarm clock goes off at 5:00A. He can hit the snooze alarm for up to an hour and a half on weekends before he finally shuts it off. On weekdays, he can let it go off for 45 minutes before he gets up. I've decided to record it and document the time the alarm starts going off, when he hits the snooze alarm, and for how long he lets it go off between snooze alarm hits and overall so when I bring it to the office's attention, I have proof. One Saturday, he hit the snooze alarm 13 times but the initial time, the alarm went on for 32 minutes before he addressed it. I was thinking of setting my alarm clock for 2:00A and doing the same thing but I like my downstairs neighbor and don't want to punish them for this other guy.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,854,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think I jinxed myself with a year ago post in this thread. I have a neighbor whose bedroom is on the opposite wall of mine and whose alarm clock goes off at 5:00A. He can hit the snooze alarm for up to an hour and a half on weekends before he finally shuts it off. On weekdays, he can let it go off for 45 minutes before he gets up. I've decided to record it and document the time the alarm starts going off, when he hits the snooze alarm, and for how long he lets it go off between snooze alarm hits and overall so when I bring it to the office's attention, I have proof. One Saturday, he hit the snooze alarm 13 times but the initial time, the alarm went on for 32 minutes before he addressed it. I was thinking of setting my alarm clock for 2:00A and doing the same thing but I like my downstairs neighbor and don't want to punish them for this other guy.
Have you talked with him about this? Does he realize he his letting his alarm clock go off for 45 minutes? Just curious. My alarm clock has to go off at 5:00 a.m. because I have to get ready for work. I had a roommate once who was a real deep sleeper who would let her alarm clock go off for that long. She said that she didn't know she was doing it. The clock stopped going off for that long once I mentioned it.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,837,729 times
No way around it, apartment living isn't always fun. I've had some bad experiences both as a bottom floor tenant and an upstairs tenant.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM

413 posts, read 1,364,310 times
I had both a neighbor across from me as well as one under me at different times who thought it would be nice to play their stereo full blast at 3 am. They also had screaming matches added in. It took forever before something was done about them both, they ended up being evicted.

I try to be considerate by walking quietly and not playing the stereo or tv loud after 9 pm.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,854,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
I had both a neighbor across from me as well as one under me at different times who thought it would be nice to play their stereo full blast at 3 am. They also had screaming matches added in. It took forever before something was done about them both, they ended up being evicted.

I try to be considerate by walking quietly and not playing the stereo or tv loud after 9 pm.
I had this same thing happen to me a few days ago. My next door neighbors were having a screaming match at 4:00 a.m. I had to wake up for a job interview so I was mad. Then they had their TV turned up really loud at 4:15. Then their music was so loud at 6:00 a.m. that I heard it in the bathroom with the fan running. My apartment has concrete block walls so you know it must have been loud. I made sure I let the office know about it.

I feel bad for their kid though. They have a little baby. If her parents keep turning up their stereo that loud, the poor kid will be deaf by the time she is 10.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM

36 posts, read 234,764 times
Can my landlord evict me if my kids make too much noise while playing inside the apartment? No. Your landlord will probably be surprised to learn that he cannot tell your children to quit playing inside of the apartment. Federal and state fair housing laws expressly require apartment dwellers to put up with normal, reasonable noise from children. This noise would clearly include noise made by children while playing in an apartment, provided that their conduct isn’t overtly unreasonable (e.g. jumping off their beds at 1 a.m., or playing the stereo on high late at night) . The manager cannot evict you if your kids have been making normal noises while playing inside your apartment, such as laughing, giggling, or rolling on the floor. To do so is illegal. The law does NOT make another tenant’s desire for peace and quiet paramount to your children's right to play in their apartment. To the contrary, the law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. That’s part of being a kid. The law requires landlords and tenants to put up with such noises. This would include allowing kids to play around inside their apartment at reasonable hours even if another tenant complains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting