Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because I never had the opportunity to have two paychecks in a row without paying rent

That's kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Your rent is your rent and it's due when it's due. Using your logic: I get paid on the 27th but my mortgage isn't due until the 1st, so that check is "all mine". My next check won't come until the 10th, I'll use that to pay my mortgage, but then it's late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM

106 posts, read 898,479 times
The dates you are paid on and the date your rent is due have no bearing on each other.

Do you have enough self-control to save your money from your pay on the 24th and give it to your landlord on the 1st?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
I'm going out on a limb here and assume you are paid every week and not once a month. If so, there are always 2 months out of the year where there are 5 pay weeks instead of 4 and July was one of them so you should have been a whole extra paycheck ahead. (Says to self "and he wonders why" geesh).

Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Don't you have fifteen days from the due date to pay before it can be considered late? Or maybe it depends on what state you live in.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
As a landlord I might be OK with a one time late payment from a tenant as long as they contacted me and let me know the situation in advance (assuming that they normally always pay on time). Depending on when my mortgage payment for their apartment was due I would either let the late fee slide, or charge them for it.

Keep in mind that your landlord most likely has a mortgage payment due and depends on you as the the tenant to pay on time as agreed so that they can pay the mortgage on your rental. Whether or not they will be OK with a one time pate payment is totally dependent on your landlord's situation so go ahead and ask them.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
But you know the economy is...
The economy is no excuse. Your landlord has bills to pay as well. You don't even have the excuse that you aren't working. Again you show an utter inability to manage your finances. I'd expect that from a 15 year old, not a 35 year old.

Pay the rent. If you don't pay the rent on time, be prepared to pay a late fee.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I think what happens sometimes is that a landlord gets so used to you sending the rent on time that they don't even bother to think LATE because of the tenant's reputation of timely rent payments.
It's a business transaction. The landlord is not your friend. If you are late, you will incur a late fee. The rent is no different than your credit card or your car payment. Oh wait, you have no car.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How about you give the landlord two months rent at once just so he can have the thrill of the feeling of having more money than usual
And btw, any tenant that continually pays after the due date and in the grace period, I consider as an habitually late payer.
Grace periods should allow for things like mailed payments that don't make it on time... not an extension of a due date.
Agreed. My mortgage is due on the first of the month. I pay it on the 15th of the prior month to allow for mailing time. Bills (including rent) are due on a certain date, that doesn't mean that they are due to be mailed that day, it means they are DUE that day.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Because I never had the opportunity to have two paychecks in a row without paying rent
So I guess you take the special bus. Everyone else in the world is able to pay their rent on time, and they all have the same pay schedule as you do. Learn how to manage your money, or go live in a box. And if your rent/bills is so high that you can't save six months living expenses, then you need to make some changes. Move to a cheaper place and stop living beyond your means.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Give them the rent check on the 5th, it won't hit the bank before the 7th.
Not neccessarily. These days checks usually hit the bank the day they are received, and are cleared through the account of the issuer the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting