Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Don't you have fifteen days from the due date to pay before it can be considered late? Or maybe it depends on what state you live in.
In some states three days after the due date a "3 Day Notice" can be served, which is basically an eviction notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
In Idaho, you can be given a 3 day eviction notice the morning after your due date if rent isn't received. No grace period is required at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not neccessarily. These days checks usually hit the bank the day they are received, and are cleared through the account of the issuer the same day.

Not really true, I mailed on 8/31 and today on 9/1 the money is still in my account

Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
It shouldn't matter when you get your paychecks as far as when you pay your rent. Your rent date should be the same every month - usually on the first. When your paychecks hit can vary.

You might want to set up a separate account at your bank or credit union that you will only ever use for paying your rent.

Let's say your rent is 1200/mo. Set it up so that with every paycheck, $650. is directly deposited into that "housing account". Only use that account to pay your rent each month.

This way, without fail when rent is due you will have it, plus even a little bit of growing savings if you deposit a little more into the account each month than what you actually pay. (If your rent is $1200, but you're depositing $1300 per month, you'll be setting aside and saving $100 per month. )

Also, for most people there are usually some months where you get three paychecks instead of only two... so those months you will be putting more into that account as well. It will be almost like a hidden savings. When you get enough, you could take that money and invest it and begin income laddering. There are some bonds that you can begin investing in and essentially earn a second income through your investments. But that takes time to build... first you have to learn how to stop living paycheck to paycheck.

And FYI - if you join a credit union, they often provide free financial counseling services... someone who will sit down with you, go over everything, and help you learn how to be wiser with what money you have, it doesn't matter if you feel like you don't even have money... everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In Idaho, you can be given a 3 day eviction notice the morning after your due date if rent isn't received. No grace period is required at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not really true, I mailed on 8/31 and today on 9/1 the money is still in my account
Received verses cleared are two different things.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Because you mailed it. It's possible he didn't even get it until after the banks closed. If he deposits it the next day, it will likely clear that same day. I hope you have the funds to cover the check, it will cost you more than a late rent fee, plus be a criminal matter if it bounces.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Five pages of perpetuated nonsense. Just pay your rent every month like every normal person and have done with it. Next thread?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM

81 posts, read 230,663 times
How'd you like it if your employer paid you 7 days late? I bet it would suck.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because you mailed it. It's possible he didn't even get it until after the banks closed. If he deposits it the next day, it will likely clear that same day. I hope you have the funds to cover the check, it will cost you more than a late rent fee, plus be a criminal matter if it bounces.

Yeah that maybe right, so by tomorrow I should no longer see it in my account after it clears. I know they get it the next day after I mail it so Friday is a better estimate for the money to be gone

Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Yeah that maybe right, so by tomorrow I should no longer see it in my account after it clears. I know they get it the next day after I mail it so Friday is a better estimate for the money to be gone
Another day off today, TVSG or did you just get out early? Nice job, off Friday and Monday and ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting