Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Saying humans cannot handle hot dry heat does not lend much to your credibility. Of course, Sun City or any other area in Arizona does not appeal to many people. But other people are willing to put up with the summers in order to enjoy the rest of the year. Which is what people have to do in most all areas of the county. No ideal climate anywhere that is affordable.

AS far as the boomtowns of ND, you must have not been reading or following the news outlining the problems these areas are experiencing from the influx of people seeking jobs. Here is just one article from the mayor of Williston. Williston Mayor Reacts to `Rock Center` Boomtown Feature on KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

Unless I see something to the contrary, I don't think most people would consider these areas as a retirement destination.

If I am wrong, all of you posters living in ND please feel free to correct me.
I think that Darstar was addressing me, after my complaints about the hot South and how I couldn't handle that, even if it meant better winters. I appreciate both your points of view, they are both right depending on whether the person seeking a new place can handle the weather.

I checked out Sun City on realtor.com--certainly low home prices and extremely low taxes. Looks like a lovely hot dry climate. My only question is, if there is any power outage for any length of time for any reason....what do folks do without a.c.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM

419 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think that Darstar was addressing me, after my complaints about the hot South and how I couldn't handle that, even if it meant better winters. I appreciate both your points of view, they are both right depending on whether the person seeking a new place can handle the weather.
I think he was addressing me because he referred to hot dry heat in his post. Nothing "dry" about the heat in the South.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
I'm not into nightlife in the usual sense--bars, hangouts, painting the town red, etc. I like to be able to walk around with my dog at night in a parklike setting (all seasons), or go to a nearby bookstore or a movie or concert. All of which I have in my new location, and for which I'm grateful as I now feel connected without having to live in a city. With these, I'm willing (though not happy) to put up with neighbor noise. At this time of year (Oct-through spring) it's not so bad (well, except for when the snow ploughs start up at 4 in the morning...). Speaking of snow, I think this year I'll enjoy it as I walk the cleared campus paths and watch the snow fall in the surrounding hills.
Have you soundproofed as much as you could?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
I was just talking about the winter problem in Williston this morning. While the TV show " Rock Center" gave a good sampling if whats going on there, there was not a lot to say about Winter !. Anytime an area is hit with so many job needs and the rest of the Country is in the dumps,job wise, its big news!
Handling the infrastructure needs are huge. They are building houses as fast as they can, but it is not fast enough. City services must be at the breaking point. The small city has doubled in the last year, they are suffering from so many problems, but, few are complaining. The average Truck Driver starting pay is 80,000, and most is short haul, so min. training is a possibility The taco joint is paying 15.00 an hour to start. In Canada its even worse. I was told that jobs at McDonalds and Tim Hortons are paying 25.00 an hour, and they still can't find people.
The other side to this story is many people have gone up there, hired on with a multi.- national company quit after two weeks and rehired in BC/Alberta for almost twice to salary. Canada IS sucking dry the people who want to work , and are not over 40 years old. If you work for an international Co. you can work in Canada as long as you want, and at any age. I can see moving to Ca, to retire, but that's just me. Even starting a small business in Williston to supplement my retirement. A boom town sounds exciting to me!... I saw this happen in Yellowknife in the NWT, it is a great place to live, all new, filled with young people. Also remember nothing lasts forever, but , in my way of thinking strike while the iron is hot!
As to Living in the desert, I still stand by my story. Yes I have been there, Scottsdale, etc. it would not be for me! I could handle Flagstaff I think, but from what I saw its not moving very fast. All over the SW there are water problems, its more valuable than oil.... If I were rich I might buy a 400,000 dollar Coach and spend a few weeks in the area, then I would move on..I can stand the cold better than the heat, but again,that's just me....I am not alone.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
I think he was addressing me because he referred to hot dry heat in his post. Nothing "dry" about the heat in the South.
O yes, AZ is hot and dry, and you know it. Now, FL. I tried that for 5 years, and finally got out, it was just too hot and humid and the bugs !

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
This is my situation pretty much. Happy in my location, but is it the right place for older age?? This October storm that has knocked out our power and brought in an early winter would not have fazed me 5 or 10 years ago, but now it's a different story. Also, rising costs here due to (unnecessary) town spending is going to be a factor for me...why pay for services I don't want or need? My dilemma is not wanting to move far from family and a few very good friends. The question for me is, what kind of situation do I want? To search on the internet is like trying to decide what to buy at a bakery standing outside the picture window looking in.

Do you have a place to sell now, and friends waiting for you in Sun City? Are you aiming for spring?
I was afraid the storm was heading towards you. Glad to know that you were just inconvenienced. If there is such a thing as being just inconvenienced.

I live in a lovely area and the weather is mild to moderate. However, there is probably about a 3 week period where the high humidity is very uncomfortable. The COL is low and I do not expect that to change anytime soon.

However as I age, I worry about being dependent on others for needs such as getting to and from a needed test at the hospital. I have a wonderful neighbor but she has an elderly husband and other family members who depend on her. Most people around here are natives with family commitments which takes up much of their time. So, I am really reluctant to call on people for their help. Maybe, that is just a hang-up of mine. We do have a city bus service that you can reserve to cart you to medical appts. However, it is not a designated senior service.

Ater having spinal fusion surgery last year, I began thinking that I might need to relocate to a community where various services were more readily available. I am not looking for a place to die, but a place where I can live as full of a life that is possible for the rest of my life.

I immediately thought of Sun City because the price of homes have tumbled as they have in most areas of Arizona. The community is still pristine but old. Some of the homes are 50 years old but still look very nice on the outside. Some of the homes need interior work but that fact is reflected in the price. I am very familiar with the community because I lived right next door for 7 years.

I once thought that I wouldn't be interested in a community with a bunch of ammenities. But the older I get, I am sure that I would now take advantage of some of the ammenities. There are several golf courses, a couple of lakes, 7 rec. centers, 2 bowling alleys, exercise centers, swimming pools; one being a huge walking pool with aerobic exercises, etc. There are also 120 chartered clubs. I am an artsy person and would take advantage of the various art clubs. For example, the ceramic clubs have wonderful ceramic artists teaching the classes. The result is beautiful professional pieces. No pink glazed poodles.

There is a bus to take residents to drs. appts. They did change their long time service that used to take residents to shopping centers but I think that has been replaced with something else. Many people get around via golf carts. A local grocery chain delivers groceries. All of the churches have ministeries serving the elderly. Many reputable businesses in the community providing services.

I know all of this might sound just awful to the younger healthy boomers, but for someone older with chronic health issues, it might just be a good fit. Actually, many younger boomers are moving into the community and updating the homes. They are taking advantage of the very reasonable costs to live in Sun City instead of the newer communities.

I cannot put my condo on the market until at least March. Not many people around here buy homes in the winter months. I should have no trouble selling unless the economy crashes again. I many contact a realtor in the next few weeks to further my research. So, don't know if Sun City will be my new home.

I have one friend in Phoenix. She is not a best friend but we have known each other for 20 years. I know people who live on the Eastside of Phoenix but that is about 30-40 miles away. There is always telephones. I am comforted in knowing the streets & highways and my favorite mom & pop cafes are still there.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My only question is, if there is any power outage for any length of time for any reason....what do folks do without a.c.??
I don't know. I guess you get yourself a generator and plug a portable ac unit into it.

For the 33 years I lived in Arizona, we were never without power for more than 4 or 5 hours and that only occured a couple of times. Of course, never say never.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I was just talking about the winter problem in Williston this morning. While the TV show " Rock Center" gave a good sampling if whats going on there, there was not a lot to say about Winter !. Anytime an area is hit with so many job needs and the rest of the Country is in the dumps,job wise, its big news!
Handling the infrastructure needs are huge. They are building houses as fast as they can, but it is not fast enough. City services must be at the breaking point. The small city has doubled in the last year, they are suffering from so many problems, but, few are complaining. The average Truck Driver starting pay is 80,000, and most is short haul, so min. training is a possibility The taco joint is paying 15.00 an hour to start. In Canada its even worse. I was told that jobs at McDonalds and Tim Hortons are paying 25.00 an hour, and they still can't find people.
The other side to this story is many people have gone up there, hired on with a multi.- national company quit after two weeks and rehired in BC/Alberta for almost twice to salary. Canada IS sucking dry the people who want to work , and are not over 40 years old. If you work for an international Co. you can work in Canada as long as you want, and at any age. I can see moving to Ca, to retire, but that's just me. Even starting a small business in Williston to supplement my retirement. A boom town sounds exciting to me!... I saw this happen in Yellowknife in the NWT, it is a great place to live, all new, filled with young people. Also remember nothing lasts forever, but , in my way of thinking strike while the iron is hot!
As to Living in the desert, I still stand by my story. Yes I have been there, Scottsdale, etc. it would not be for me! I could handle Flagstaff I think, but from what I saw its not moving very fast. All over the SW there are water problems, its more valuable than oil.... If I were rich I might buy a 400,000 dollar Coach and spend a few weeks in the area, then I would move on..I can stand the cold better than the heat, but again,that's just me....I am not alone.
Why would this environment appeal to the typical retiree?

Phoenix does not have a water shortage problem. Plenty of water from the Colorado River & runoff from the High Country. However, with that said, I could never understand why people moving to a desert demanded lakes, fountains, green lawns and green plants not native to the area. I suppose the people moving from the Mid-West wanted the area to look like back home.

Tucson, on the other hand, does have a water shortage problem. They have been conserving water for over 50 years. All landscaping is natural or rock & drought resistant plants. Lots of adobe & territorial style homes with desert landscaping. That's the look I like if you live in the desert.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Why would this environment appeal to the typical retiree?

Phoenix does not have a water shortage problem. Plenty of water from the Colorado River & runoff from the High Country. ...

Phoenix Water Deficit (http://www.columbia.edu/~kk2534/Phoenix%20Water/ - broken link)

Supply and demand of water has always been a concern in Phoenix, Arizona

Is Your City Running Out of Water? The Ten Largest Cities Facing a Water Crisis - Cities - GOOD

Managing limited water supplies in Phoenix, Arizona

Peak Water: Aquifers and Rivers Are Running Dry. How Three Regions Are Coping

Archaeology Magazine - Insider - Phoenix's Looming Water Crisis

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Supply & demand of water has always been a concern for Phoenix but there has been no water shortage. Water has not been rationed. The lakes, fountains and swimming pools are still being filled and operating. I am not a scientist or archeologist so I have to depend on the people who are overseeing the water supply to manage the situation properly. So far, so good. But who knows what the future will bring. Here is what Phoenix has to say about the situation. DROUGHT IN PERSPECTIVE.

If the drought stretches to many more years in the future, then I am sure water availability will become a very serious problem. It seems as though any area that experiences phenominal population growth suffers a list of environmental problems. Water issues being one of them. I am surprised that NM a SW state was not mentioned as having a potential water shortage problem. Maybe because they did not have to deal with the massive population growth.

Who knows what Mother nature has in store for us in the future. Most people are still waiting for the big one to hit CA. I don't think that we should spend the rest of our lives worrying about what ifs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement