Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 12:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What is "hailing distance"???
When I lived in the mountains of No. Idaho I suppose my closest neighbors were within "hailing distance". Our properties were approximately 1/4 mi. apart and sound is greatly amplified in the middle of a huge forest! We could hear one another's generators running, could sometimes hear voices and had an emergency plan in place if needed. Two shots from a shotgun would bring people fast! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
What is "hailing distance"???
It's a nautical term.

In the days of sailing ships without radio it was a lot closer...
than it will be between space ships like on Star Trek

Old 10-29-2011, 12:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Hailing distance: the distance within which the human voice can be heard.

See? Telephone counts now!
You and AniFani will have to reconcile your definitions. Human voice can be heard around the globe if you're talking telephone. If it's within a few hours drive of SOs, that's something else altogether. I'd vote for 5 hours' drive.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
You and AniFani will have to reconcile your definitions. Human voice can be heard around the globe if you're talking telephone. If it's within a few hours drive of SOs, that's something else altogether. I'd vote for 5 hours' drive.
Faster to fly! 'Course, I hate flying. They can do it. Did too much in the military and for my profession thereafter. Give me boots on the ground!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It would be nice when you delete my posts,that in the very lest, you let me know. Always trying to improve, feedback is welcome. I am getting quite angry with this Stealth Moderator !
Two from yesterday on this thread.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Two from yesterday on this thread.
I recently received about 20 rep points for a comment (in another forum)...
and two days later the whole thread was removed.

c'est la vie

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Well, I had no idea that the use of an archaic term like 'hailing' would generate so much comment. I have no idea of the original meaning, though I've heard the term used in all the ways you folks have suggested. Never been at sea, nor across the moor, barely in sight, yet just near enough, that if you cupped your hands and shouted my way, I might hear.

For the record I meant it in the close, but not too close sense. Grand kids are cute and fun, but we don't care to be the babysitter of first resort. Now, for more nonsense.

In the spring, it can hail, if conditions are just right. I'll give you a shout if I see you across the way. Let's hail a taxi. In some parts of the South, "Wah, ya' ken jus' go tuh hail."

That is all.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
In the spring, it can hail, if conditions are just right. I'll give you a shout if I see you across the way. Let's hail a taxi. In some parts of the South, "Wah, ya' ken jus' go tuh hail."

That is all.
And no one has to say, "Hail, Caesar" anymore. But let's hope we all stay hale and hearty!

Now I hope that's all.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 AM

400 posts, read 738,674 times
Default Back to evolving thinking

This is a terrific thread. My thinking has changed a lot over the decades and especially in the last few years. Pretty much everything of importance has been altered as age, health, kids and their plans/locations, and work have changed.

I live on Long Island, which is a great 4-season location with plenty of ocean, scenery, hiking, wineries, nice drives, etc. I thought for many years that I'd like to move upstate and have a lot of land and mountains around me, and I do love to drive up there. When my daughter went to college in Montreal I really treasured those long drives up through the Adirondacks and way upstate. I also spent many summers in NE PA and have a great attachment to the area and many friends. It's so beautiful, in every season. I could see myself either living there full-time or getting a small log cabin somewhere to use as a retreat year-round.

Then, overlapping that dream, about eight or ten years ago to fairly recently, I thought for sure I wanted to move south, to Florida. My mom goes down there every winter, and I love being there. The last winters were very tough around here, especially last year, with constant blizzards in December and January. The shoveling is difficult, and I've become afraid of driving on ice since a minor accident two years ago.

I'm getting ready to at least partially retire and am wondering how to fit in part-time work if I move. I'm a writer and can develop a freelance writing business, which I've done in the past, but I don't know if I can stand the pressure. If I stay where I am, I can cut back my full-time job to as low as 50% and still get benefits and contributions to the 401K.

In the past year I developed an autoimmune disorder and am under the care of a great doctor. There are very few doctors in the country who are experienced with this one, as it's pretty rare, so I've gotten cold feet about moving anywhere right now while I have to have treatments and be monitored. In general, medical care where I live is excellent.

Last week I visited my daughter in Berkeley, a beautiful place with year-round moderate weather and a constant blooming of flowers. I had asked her ahead of time what the temps and weather were like, so I could pack the right things. She said it was in the 60s. I said, oh, like here! It sounds like fall here, is it fall? She hesitated and said, "Kind of." I got out there and it wasn't fall at all. There were butterflies, birds, a friend was talking about repotting herbs that had died. Here on L.I. plant life follows a cycle that I think of as normal -- plants come to life in the spring, that's when you put out your pots, they die in the fall, and you stop potting outdoors for the winter. It was pretty weird to me to have this sameness going on month after month. While I was there, I missed the colorful leaves, the fallen leaves swirling on the roads and walkways, the feeling of hands in pockets, the brilliant sunshine, apples, pumpkins, the smell of autumn. There were some house decorations out there, but it didn't really feel like fall.

I don't know now if I want to live in a place that doesn't have the change of seasons. Of course, there is a price to pay for staying here -- winter -- but the more I read of your posts, the more I understand that there are tradeoffs everywhere. I also have family here and a lifetime of friends and associations in the area. Hmmm.....

Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Where you live , where you hang your hat so to speak has more to do with age than anything else. There is one exception,for many and its grandchildren. I have known several senior couples who moved to a more temperate climate for all the right reasons, like the weather in winter only to pull up roots at some point down the years of retirement , to move back north because of Family...other reasons would be health as they age and need outside help for things..that family can provide.
Many of us these days do not have any offspring, so that part does not matter. For me , its living in a place that has always been on my bucket list.....and has good health care close by. There is no reason we should feel guilty for moving around,traveling to far off places, and putting down roots only to change our minds later and go somewhere else. We, or those that can afford to do it should experience the many different places,cultures,climate,and friends that we can ,all through our lives. Its even more important when you are older and your bucket list things to do slips by before we have that chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement