Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times

Advertisements

My thinking is rapidly changing about place as I adjust to my new in-town living in my new older house. There's so much for me to love about being in this college town, so much to do! I was out all day at nearby events and here I am back on CD listening to the brats next door screaming their heads off in the pool, echoing through my open window. How can this place be so right for me, and so not???

My tolerance level for noise is going down to about zero. I brought up kids, did the kid thing for my whole adult life. I don't feel like hearing them anymore! They are loud, rowdy, rude, and their parents don't give a d***. If it were my own kids screaming their guts out I'd tell them to keep it down, we have neighbors. On the other side of me, the 26 year old new homeowner has decided it's a great property, with his triple garage out back, to fix up cars!! Engine noise, compression noise, at odd times of day (thankfully not at night). Hello, this is a residential neighborhood!!

All of the comments about idiot neighbors apply here for me now, and I'm in a bit of smouldering wonder.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that this aggravating noise is only for certain periods, calm down, and it beats the dead silence in 55+ communities where you'd never know there are live people inside those condos or apts. I honestly think I would be quite depressed in that setting, like this is it, my life is over, and it's shuffleboard from now on. Plus I cannot afford those pricey gated places with high condo or HOA costs every month.

I have no desire to escape the loud neighbors by going off somewhere rural, been there, done that, does not work for me at my age/situation. Nor do I want to go back to suburbia, I hated the isolation and long drives to anywhere just to do something.

So I feel kind of stuck. I have to stay here in this house for another couple of years to avoid capital gains. I really like the house, the grounds, the street, and the location so very close to everything. I'm just so frustrated by the neighbors, since I'm home all day to hear it. I don't do air conditioning and don't need it, I love the breezes coming through and don't want to live in a closed up tomb.

Maybe I should look ahead to renting an apt or senior apt. But since I seem to be so sensitive to noise, I may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire by doing this.

Any thoughts???

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-06-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My thinking is rapidly changing about place as I adjust to my new in-town living in my new older house. There's so much for me to love about being in this college town, so much to do! I was out all day at nearby events and here I am back on CD listening to the brats next door screaming their heads off in the pool, echoing through my open window. How can this place be so right for me, and so not???

My tolerance level for noise is going down to about zero. I brought up kids, did the kid thing for my whole adult life. I don't feel like hearing them anymore! They are loud, rowdy, rude, and their parents don't give a d***. If it were my own kids screaming their guts out I'd tell them to keep it down, we have neighbors. On the other side of me, the 26 year old new homeowner has decided it's a great property, with his triple garage out back, to fix up cars!! Engine noise, compression noise, at odd times of day (thankfully not at night). Hello, this is a residential neighborhood!!

All of the comments about idiot neighbors apply here for me now, and I'm in a bit of smouldering wonder.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that this aggravating noise is only for certain periods, calm down, and it beats the dead silence in 55+ communities where you'd never know there are live people inside those condos or apts. I honestly think I would be quite depressed in that setting, like this is it, my life is over, and it's shuffleboard from now on. Plus I cannot afford those pricey gated places with high condo or HOA costs every month.

I have no desire to escape the loud neighbors by going off somewhere rural, been there, done that, does not work for me at my age/situation. Nor do I want to go back to suburbia, I hated the isolation and long drives to anywhere just to do something.

So I feel kind of stuck. I have to stay here in this house for another couple of years to avoid capital gains. I really like the house, the grounds, the street, and the location so very close to everything. I'm just so frustrated by the neighbors, since I'm home all day to hear it. I don't do air conditioning and don't need it, I love the breezes coming through and don't want to live in a closed up tomb.

Maybe I should look ahead to renting an apt or senior apt. But since I seem to be so sensitive to noise, I may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire by doing this.

Any thoughts???
Go find a small house in a retired neighborhood, or get a mobile home at the trailer park , and in both cases . you will listen to the EMS trucks all night and day long. If I lived in New England I would be down at the shore with my toes in the sand all day long.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Go find a small house in a retired neighborhood, or get a mobile home at the trailer park , and in both cases . you will listen to the EMS trucks all night and day long. If I lived in New England I would be down at the shore with my toes in the sand all day long.
Hmmmnn, you are probably right. Maybe the next step is a tiny house near the beach, which is what I've wanted all my life. Not cheap, however!

Whoever's near the eastcoast shore, what's it like there??

Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Ocean beach? Or would riverfront work underneath a forest canopy?

While I live rural, Maine has many rivers. Most of Maine's cities have rivers going through them.

Bangor has a nice waterfront for example. I am sure that within a close proximity are a few homes with waterfrontage.

Last edited by Submariner; 08-06-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Ocean beach? Or would riverfront work underneath a forest canopy?

While I live rural, Maine has many rivers. Most of Maine's cities have rivers going through them.

Bangor has a nice waterfront for example. I am sure that within a close proximity are a few homes with waterfrontage.
I do love the idea of living near water. Even if you can't see it. Here in the Connecticut River Valley, the river rules. It winds around and through towns and has smaller rivers running off it for rafting and swimming (I do neither, but love to watch others rowing on the river, whitewater rafting, etc).

Having lived in St Louis area during the great flood of '91 was frightening--the Mississippi and Missouri rivers converging is a force to be reckoned with. I remember that the town we wanted to move to went completely under.

I love the Kennebunk in Maine and there are some great towns along it. The possibility of flooding makes me wonder. But there is something about being in a place that is defined by water (ocean, river, lake) that "runs deep."

Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
"NEG: ...But there is something about being in a place that is defined by water (ocean, river, lake) that "runs deep."

To that great truth I have to add: and unfortunately won't be cheap.

NEG - really sorry to hear about neighbor problems in your new place, that is a bummer!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I do love the idea of living near water. Even if you can't see it. Here in the Connecticut River Valley, the river rules. It winds around and through towns and has smaller rivers running off it for rafting and swimming (I do neither, but love to watch others rowing on the river, whitewater rafting, etc).

Having lived in St Louis area during the great flood of '91 was frightening--the Mississippi and Missouri rivers converging is a force to be reckoned with. I remember that the town we wanted to move to went completely under.

I love the Kennebunk in Maine and there are some great towns along it. The possibility of flooding makes me wonder. But there is something about being in a place that is defined by water (ocean, river, lake) that "runs deep."
" And a river runs through it"... We all saw the Movie..... No what you need is a private hideaway, on a less populated beach or cove. There are plenty , mostly in Maine and the Maritame's. New Brunswick is less expensive than almost any other place in the area.... If I had my choice I would move to Cape Britain Island., and build a waterfront cottage some where along the Cabot trail.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
" And a river runs through it"... We all saw the Movie..... No what you need is a private hideaway, on a less populated beach or cove. There are plenty , mostly in Maine and the Maritame's. New Brunswick is less expensive than almost any other place in the area.... If I had my choice I would move to Cape Britain Island., and build a waterfront cottage some where along the Cabot trail.
How do you own a place in Canada, as a nonCanadian?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
How do you own a place in Canada, as a nonCanadian?
There are lots of ways, including marriage to a Canadian. Grandfathered in under the " retirement act" , put up 700,000 net worth , . Be an artist or " in" the arts in some manner. Canada is looking for people that can contribute to the growth of the Country . They need all kinds of people, but do not like anyone over 40 , unless you have one of the artistic talents, or are a teacher. A lot of people are moving to Canada under the International Corporate cover, Gas and oil companies are at the top of the list.... I understand they are so short of service workers that Tim Hortan's and MCDonalds are paying 20.00 an hour in some areas, just to attract interest, as no one wants those jobs when you can wort on the pipeline or oil rig and make 200,000 a year !.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
There are lots of ways, including marriage to a Canadian. Grandfathered in under the " retirement act" , put up 700,000 net worth , . Be an artist or " in" the arts in some manner. Canada is looking for people that can contribute to the growth of the Country . They need all kinds of people, but do not like anyone over 40 , unless you have one of the artistic talents, or are a teacher. A lot of people are moving to Canada under the International Corporate cover, Gas and oil companies are at the top of the list.... I understand they are so short of service workers that Tim Hortan's and MCDonalds are paying 20.00 an hour in some areas, just to attract interest, as no one wants those jobs when you can wort on the pipeline or oil rig and make 200,000 a year !.
Just curious-- Tell us more about the "being an artist" part. Why do they want artists?? Most conservative societies want to get rid of them , or at least do not value them terribly highly in general. Do you have to be an artist under 40? Where did you get that info?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement