Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times

Advertisements

You know folks , its not just the places you have lived nor the urge to move every 5 years.( I think thats about average for everyone). No , it also can be events you want to see or do.people you would like to meet, books you want to write, challenges you always wanted to do , but never had the time or the guts to do it...until now.
The first thing is , we are getting older, we are wasting time we can't get back ever again. I say , get out there and do it ! I did a lot of mine when I was in my 40s, now I pay , for not saving, bad investments, less income than when I was working, they all add up..... If I had it to do over again? , I guess I would do it all , lots of regrets, but also lots of memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM

You know folks , its not just the places you have lived nor the urge to move every 5 years.( I think thats about average for everyone). No , it also can be events you want to see or do.people you would like to meet, books you want to write, challenges you always wanted to do , but never had the time or the guts to do it...until now.
The first thing is , we are getting older, we are wasting time we can't get back ever again. I say , get out there and do it ! I did a lot of mine when I was in my 40s, now I pay , for not saving, bad investments, less income than when I was working, they all add up..... If I had it to do over again? , I guess I would do it all , lots of regrets, but also lots of memories

Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,158 times
I like the subject of this thread. So...how has my thinking about the ideal place evolved?

1995 - Rustic home on acreage (5 to 40) just outside a small town in Colorado...probably Salida. Home environment must be quiet and tranquil. Good opportunities for bicycling and trail running. Good views of mountains.

2007 - I retired.

2011 - Home must be low-maintenance. Yard must be low-maintenance, whether it is 1/4 acre or 5 acres (forget the 40 acres). Prefer small town but has to be near a city with good medical care. Good opportunities for bicycling and trail running...preferably with not so many steep hills. Good views of mountains. Quiet and tranquil is more important than ever. Has to be in a community with social groups/clubs or organizations that interest my wife.

But...the greatest change over these years has been a transition in thinking from what "I" want to what will work for my spouse and me. This requires compromise as I would like to change location every 5-7 years...and my spouse is a natural "nester."

Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Default Thoughts on "the ideal place"

I believe very few people are able to find a place they consider ideal, because most places have drawbacks and so our choices are really compromises. One can make oneself unhappy by trying to have everything perfect. Sometimes a pair of desirables can be mutually exclusive, as in my case: I like proximity to world class cultural events, especially classical music, but I also like a total lack of traffic congestion. Well, guess what? I have compromised by living in Los Angeles. I've got the first but not the second, but I don't spend time stewing about it. I am happy with my choice.

Note I wrote "very few people", not "all people". If the main desirables are low cost of living and rural/small town living, then housing is available for very little and the remaining thing would be to find a climate one likes.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
this is a thought provoking thread. and i have learned a lot from y'alls comments.

things that are important to me in my retirement years:

situating myself where I can maintain my independence, have activities, and have access to library hospital etc

making sure that the senior citizen support in the county provides, at least transportation or that it is in a place near public transportation

and be somewhat near home and grown children

get there in time to settle in, make friends, and know my way around

Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wanted to throw that into the mix as I never heard anyone mention Kansas City, the KCMO metro, or eastern Kansas as a place to retire, but I find it nearly ideal (as long as one has a snug spot to stay during the blizzards, lol).
I lived in Columbia, Missouri for seven years (re: the University) bringing up my kids there. I went to KC to lead a writers' group several times (one for teachers) and also to visit the Nelson Atkins Museum, which I loved. An outdoor Henry Moore sculpture exhibit that will always stay with me. I got a nice feeling there. My daughter seeking a job in regional planning/landscape arch. is looking at that area now and I hope she winds up there. She is really a Midwest girl at heart. We had snow in mid-MO but nothing like the Northeast. I found the spring and fall to be really, really nice...a very long fall. I'd think that KC and places nearby would be a very good move for a retiree wanting the kinds of things you suggest including the arts. It has everything one could want except tropical winters and the ocean.

www.nelson-atkins.org/home/ContactUs.cfm

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Entering my sixth month in my new location, I'm on the fence about long-term here. As I've said, it's100% improvement over where I was (14 years in a suburban location with absolutely nothing to do at night), but moving in close to neighbors is an eye opener. Although I had to hear highway traffic in my previous location, now I have to hear neighbor stuff, like kids in their pool in summer, and cars revving up in their driveways at 5:00-6:00 A.M. This reinforces for me that I am not a good candidate for a condo, an apartment, or a mobile home park. Neither do I want to return to suburbia, and rural is not practical for me at my age. Now I'm thinking the best future place for me is....a monastery!! Are there any retirement homes in monastery communities?? Hopefully they would offer peace and quiet? (I just know someone is going to recommend ear plugs...)
NEG, this is exactly what I am afraid of. We moved out 'to the sticks' for those reasons. And as much as I would love to be near city/town amenities, I don't think I want to deal with these things again when we are older.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I lived in Columbia, Missouri for seven years (re: the University) bringing up my kids there. I went to KC to lead a writers' group several times (one for teachers) and also to visit the Nelson Atkins Museum, which I loved. An outdoor Henry Moore sculpture exhibit that will always stay with me. I got a nice feeling there. My daughter seeking a job in regional planning/landscape arch. is looking at that area now and I hope she winds up there. She is really a Midwest girl at heart. We had snow in mid-MO but nothing like the Northeast. I found the spring and fall to be really, really nice...a very long fall. I'd think that KC and places nearby would be a very good move for a retiree wanting the kinds of things you suggest including the arts. It has everything one could want except tropical winters and the ocean.

www.nelson-atkins.org/home/ContactUs.cfm
You hit it exactly, NEGirl. I will always miss the Nelson, for one thing. They had Fri. evening buffets accompanied by music (jazz or classical) and hubby and I often met up with either friends or clients there. It was always a lovely evening, followed by Irish coffee at one of our favorite spots on the Plaza, or perhaps at a jazz club or dancing and drinks at the Ritz (now Fairmont).

In the Winter, we had a favorite restaurant on the Plaza that set up heaters outside, and folks would gather - even in the snow!, and socialize on the patio. We had so many favorite restaurants we enjoyed, not only for the food, but the ambience.

We are trying to figure out a trip back to see the new performing arts center! Our friends are thrilled w/ the whole complex - I hear it is an architectural joy.

Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

Hubby is a Mizzou grad (Go Tigers! lol) I have never found Columbia a favorite spot, but enjoyed visiting for special events (and football games, lol).

Not particularly fond of St Louis, either . . . it is the whole vibe of KCMO that has me hooked, and that includes wonderful 'burbs that allow quick access back to the city.

But you are right - being landlocked - I missed the mountains terribly, so we bought a second home in western NC mountains. That way, we could spend vacations in our own space and not have to bum in on my parents/sisters. As it turned out, our son lived in that house while attending college, so I guess it was a good investment on several levels. Having a second home can be a solution for many people as long as the maintenance costs are not prohibitive.

Our friends in landlocked Kansas like cruises as a way to spend time on beaches - and many head to Cabo or have condos there (easy to get to).

Driving back to NC, wh/ I actually enjoyed doing (except for the last 4 hours!!!) takes 14 to 16 hours. Via air - only about 2.25 hrs - but then there is the whole thing w/ car rental, or someone picking us up from airport. I kept a vehicle at our mountain house for a number of years. When I added up cost of insurance, tags, annual inspection required by state, and personal property taxes, it was pretty much a break-even situation, but things like tag renewal and annual inspection (and dead batteries! maintenance issues!) got to be a real hassle when we had limited time on trips back.

It is easy to find "ideal" solutions when there is plenty of cash flow, lol. Not so easy to figure it out when the budget changes - wh/ is what we are trying to figure out at this stage of our lives.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 AM

I am sure I have said it before , but I have found over the years,that living in a resort town where there is lots of upper class homes, money,and the need for some culture ...really works. You CAN have it all.The hard part is working very hard to find an affordable place for a retirement home.They are out there , and now is a great time to expand for the future.Prices and inflation are down, for now. Look for this to change,the economy IS heating up, check out the latest reports.Contrary to what one might think, many of these small gems are not effected by the outside economy. That can be great or not so, when considering a home purchase.
I have always looked at these towns and have lived in several, one in NC MTS. for 18 years. What a wonderful combination!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
I am so happy this thread has struck a cord with everyone. Let me bring you up to date with where we are in our search.

Originally, we wanted;
  1. Warmer winters (we are currently in far North GA).
  2. Somewhat larger town - 35,000 to around 50 or 60,000 - for medical care, cultural and conveniences (our town is 5,000~, total county pop around 30,000).
  3. Smaller house and yard (currently 2600 sq ft and 3+ acres {not just woods and or grass}).
  4. Lower cost of living (our current location is at the national average per best places dot net).
Where we are today;
  1. The more we think about it, we like our climate, with 4 to 6 months of no heat or air. Just need a better insulated and overall energy efficient house. So, from a climate perspective, this place suits.
  2. Still think the 35 to 60K range is right. Also, have come to realize a sizeable 'college' is important to cultural life, opportunities and overall vibrancy of the area.
  3. Definitely still a priority to get down to 1700 to 2000 sq ft, 1/2 acre or smaller.
  4. Want to be below national cost of living average.
We are currently keying in on a state adjacent to us that has a town pop of 60K~, major university with medical school, vibrant arts and theatre scene in the town and general vicinity. It ain't NYC, but good enough for us . Available housing stock is not quite what we were looking for, but again, close enough.

Cost of living is about 11% below national average. The climate (weather channel is great for tracking two weather patterns) is eerily similar to ours. Overall tax burden is slightly less, at a high level, than our current home state. Need further investigation to validate savings.

We are subscribed to this towns' newspaper on-line edition, (complete duplicate of paper version), which is helping us to learn more about the community. Anything and everything from relgious,cultural, political, leisure and recreational, and so forth. Highly recommend.

Can you guess our current hometown, and the target future hometown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement