Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

A few "evolvements" I've noticed since we first began considering retirement:

1. In my 30's I always assumed I would retire near a large university. As I get older, that idea is less appealing. I no longer want to deal with the crazy driving, high noise level, and partying that you find in college neighborhoods. So my thinking has evolved: I think it would be nice to live a mile or so near a campus (and maybe a smaller campus) so I could take a class or two and maybe attend concerts, but not so close that I'd have lots of students living near me.

I relate to the other poster who talked about developing an appreciation of quieter neighborhoods. The older I get the more I love quiet and tranquility. I didn't expect to evolve in this way--there was a time when I was more of a party animal--but as I get older my quieter zen side is appearing.

2. I used to think hills were fun to drive on (and to look at) and flat places were boring. As I get older, driving on hills has lost its appeal and walking on icy sidewalks in a hilly area has completely lost its charm. I used to think I wanted to live in Hot Springs Village, AR but now there's no way I'd live there. For many reasons, but the hilly roads are a big part of what I don't like.

3. Speaking about icy sidewalks, the older I get the more my body is giving me reasons to prefer a "redundant" climate. I used to think I wanted 4 seasons but as I get older I find the changing seasons aggravate a joint condition (in me) and a bleeding condition (in my husband). I still like a little bit of change, but gradual changes--not dramatic shifts in temperature and I no longer want to deal with snowy winters or ice.

4. Having family nearby. This did not use to be of importance to me, I figured having an airport nearby meant I could easily get to family when I needed to. Now, I want to be within a close driving distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Most of you should go out and rent the movie " The Bucket List". I know ,you have seen it before , but , from what I am hearing, you did not get the message !!..... I have tried to do the bucket list thing long before it was coined. I called it , my short list and my long list. Thankful now ,I have almost completed the list. This includes living( while still working),Chicago, Sarasota,MPLS,Detroit,Blue Ridge Mts. NC. Toronto,Winnipeg,Anchorage, but not BC ,. Thats still on my long list, and , as I age , some of these " visits" may have to be come vacations, but , at lest I did them, that is whats counts!! I have "visited" every state, every Provence in Ca., and includes all points in North America. once or twice or more...... There are still some things I must do, they are personal, but they haunt me every day.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
I've realized I could never live anywhere but New England. I'm hopelessly entangled in its history and lore, the natural beauty. I know the place and I don't want to start over anywhere. There is still a lot to see and do here so it doesn't get boring to me.

My roots are here. I may hate the humid summers and the icy, snowy winters but when I was 21 I traveled the USA, wanting to find a better place to live than New England. I saw some beautiful sights but I missed New England.
I toyed with the thought of moving south but after being there this summer and I couldn't even breathe, couldn't get from the house to the car due to the humidity and air quality, I'll take New England--GLADLY!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've realized I could never live anywhere but New England. I'm hopelessly entangled in its history and lore, the natural beauty. I know the place and I don't want to start over anywhere. There is still a lot to see and do here so it doesn't get boring to me.

My roots are here. I may hate the humid summers and the icy, snowy winters but when I was 21 I traveled the USA, wanting to find a better place to live than New England. I saw some beautiful sights but I missed New England.
I toyed with the thought of moving south but after being there this summer and I couldn't even breathe, couldn't get from the house to the car due to the humidity and air quality, I'll take New England--GLADLY!
Interesting, Upper Michigan , Where I retired , is a lot like north New England. I get the feeling as I have traveled all over New England , and the Maritines which I like even better. Maine is the most like the UP. We have several people who travel both and have lived in both on these threads.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Most of you should go out and rent the movie " The Bucket List". I know ,you have seen it before , but , from what I am hearing, you did not get the message !!..... I have tried to do the bucket list thing long before it was coined. I called it , my short list and my long list. Thankful now ,I have almost completed the list. This includes living( while still working),Chicago, Sarasota,MPLS,Detroit,Blue Ridge Mts. NC. Toronto,Winnipeg,Anchorage, but not BC ,. There are still some things I must do, they are personal, but they haunt me every day.
Oh, how behind the time I am, I know nothing about the movie. However, I have been doing the exact thing you do/did. I've seen all the places I wanted to see, took all the trips I wanted to take (except two) and lived/live in all the places I wanted to live (except one).

Of course, there will be a few good things I won't be able to do no matter what, just as there were many bad things happened to me that I had to plow through, it's all parts and parcels of life. Griefs, regrets and sorrow were done and over, the residue is not allowed to affect the rest of my life.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
How about British Columbia, then?
I would like to live in some parts of Canada, though it's not a real craving. It's more like a prodding I do to my poor my husband now and then, "Don't you think you should at least spend some years in the country of your heritage?" (His reply, "I'm a Californian with English heritage.") or, "Since you vetoed us moving to France, I think Quebec would be a good substitution so I can speak the language." (His reply, "I'm not going to rely on you for the daily stuff with the language again. Been there, done that in Italy.")

Since we've never truly known for certain where our path would take us, we could be anywhere in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
And just within sight of my window, a couple of blocks away, is a building that was a notorious hippie haven here in the early 70's, and is now a city retirement facility--we joke sometimes about all ending up back there, being hippies together.
Do they live the communal way there? As in going back to their quarters in the evening, but do everything else together in shared common areas?

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-27-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
There are ideal places for me to live, where I will never live, because I'm not that adventurous really. It makes a difference to whether one is alone or with someone who's willing and able to try new locations. But even if someone said "you can live anywhere in the world you want, just pick a place" I have to admit I wouldn't know. I've only been three places in my life, my homestate, the Midwest, and Italy. Of the three, I would choose Italy, but in reality, how do I know what it would actually be like to live there day to day? I'd rather live in a ghetto with a very close connection of friends and family than in a paradise without these, if I had to choose between extremes. But then there's so many possibilities in between....

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
The place I have lived that I loved the most was in Johnson County, Kansas. I lived in a town w/ all the conveniences nearby, sidewalks and greenways throughout neighborhoods that connected with parks. Even in the winter, I had no problem getting out and walking. Of course, there is the weather . . . blizzards, lol . . . but w/ a garage and someone to clean off the driveway (not easy for me - even with a snowblower) . . . it was ideal. I was only 18 miles f/ downtown KCMO . . . but every type of convenience - from hospitals, docs, vet, banks, groceries, gas stations, restaurants, movie theatre, church, Fed Ex, PO, mall - were close by - many stores were within walking/biking distance, even tho we were in a dense housing development (wh/ surprisingly was very quiet). Low cost of living; low crime; clean.

When we moved to NC (where I am from originally), folks said - wow, wish we could move there - that is where we would like to retire. Nine years later and I am still homesick for my old neighborhood. I was never particularly fond of Charlotte and find it even less appealing as I get older. I was able to find a nice area to live in here - very convenient, quiet, clean - but crime is much more prevalent and I find little that is interesting or charming about the city of Charlotte. The cost of living is a bit higher than where I lived in Kansas, but comparable. NC is a beautiful state and I love the mountains but can't seem to find what I want in any of the towns in western NC . . . I think my ideal was set too high once living in a walkable, very low crime, safe, upscale but low cost of living area.

We are here in NC b/c of family - my parents are elderly and my son's career is being established here . . . so I don't see us moving back to Kansas (don't want to leave my parents and our son). So family is all that keeps us from moving back. Despite what can be a long winter w/ a lot of snow . . . I would happily retire there. I love Kansas City - big enough but not too big. Great entertainment venues and lots of interesting classes, speakers and entertainers at the local community college in Johnson County and thru/ KU. Excellent healthcare nearby . . .

Just wanted to throw that into the mix as I never heard anyone mention Kansas City, the KCMO metro, or eastern Kansas as a place to retire, but I find it nearly ideal (as long as one has a snug spot to stay during the blizzards, lol).

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are ideal places for me to live, where I will never live, because I'm not that adventurous really. But even if someone said "you can live anywhere in the world you want, just pick a place" I have to admit I wouldn't know. I've only been three places in my life, my homestate, the Midwest, and Italy. Of the three, I would choose Italy, but in reality, how do I know what it would actually be like to live there day to day?
I didn't know that I was adventurous, or what I could do in any situation, or whether I could live in any place. Not until I was forced to face many strange circumstances at 22 when I was half accidentally half purposely pushed out of my native land. Forward is the only way to head when you cannot turn back.

After that, except in extremely trying times, I lost the fear of unknown places and unknown situations.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
After 3 or 4 years at one place I develope a wanderlust and want to move. In 12 years since I retired I started in San Francisco. I didn't know how much income I would have so we went to Phoenix. Two different houses in Phoenix and back to San Francisco. From there to Sierra Vista AZ and I've about reached my limit here. It's remote here and visiting anyone is a long drive. Sort of stuck here though because I don't want to lose a bundle on this house. I want to find someplace less car dependent, near a military base and a VA Medical Center (not a clinic, a hospital).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement