Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM

291 posts, read 452,309 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring soon with a small social security benefit as my only income and am interested in the possibility of applying for HUD Section 8 subsidized housing.

I have previously researched the subject of Section 8 vouchers which require that you apply at local housing authority offices at infrequent times and then go on long waiting lists. All over the country most of these lists are currently closed. Yesterday I spoke to someone in a management office of a large mixed income development in upstate NY and discovered that these facilities operate independently of government public housing offices and do what she called "in-house section 8". That is, you apply directly to the facility and they decide if you qualify for a subsidized unit. One such facility had fixed low rents but many others operated on the principle that, if a person qualifies, they pay 30% of their income for rent.

I should add that what I'm looking at here is subsidized housing for "the elderly". Fortunately HUD's definition of "elderly" is 62 and over - the same age at which you can start receiving early social security and thereby demonstate a low fixed income but also one that is guaranteed.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who may have had some personal experience with this type of situation. I emphatically do not want to hear from anyone inclined to argue the politics of subsidized housing. There is a Politics Forum for just this purpose so there is no need to duplicate it here.

In the interest of reciprocity I would like to suggest the following web site for others with similar concerns: Affordable Housing | Low Income Housing | PublicHousing.com . This has been a big help to me in getting started. I am quite willing to share what I've learned with anyone who is sincerely motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Good to see you back, Decided to give up on international living?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I'm rather surprised you didn't receive necessary information and insight in 35 pages of responses to Essential Facts For Low Income Retirees.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Back In The Saddle Again

aliveandwellinSA,

And hello to you too.

Yeah, I've just had to forget about living abroad. It's the medical issue. Some day I'm going to need Medicare/Medicaid (actually, I could use it now). That's going to keep me in the states. Also, my ignorance of Spanish would make me an easy mark. So, there goes that dream.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
I should add that what I'm looking at here is subsidized housing for "the elderly".
Most of these facilities I've seen (well, the habitable ones at least) are based in some sort of private charity or foundation...
and are NOT based in a government agency. I don't know how that plays out with Section 8.

let me google that for you

hth

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
This is an excellent topic as there are many seniors, including myself, who do not receive a large pension or s/s check. And many of us are going it solo.

There are senior 'tax credit' units wherein the rental amount is based upon your income; most require income validation every year, some validate just one time.

Many do not list their complexes in the Social Serve website:
Socialserve.com - Find Affordable Housing so you will have to do some digging to find out what is available in your area, or in other areas you may be interested in. On this website, not all of the income restricted units are just for seniors.

Senior Outlook is another good source:
Senior Outlook - Housing Options for Senior Living some complexes will offer lower rents based upon your income; and some units will not. Just takes some time to see what all is available.

The Mary T Villas are also tax credit units:
Mary T Inc. - About Us their rental units are located in AZ, MI, WI

You are correct about waiting lists; many of the complexes I contacted have waiting lists up to three years; but there were some that felt the wait may not be more than a year.

Keep us posted on what you find out! It does take a lot of research but worth the effort!

Katie

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Default Shame On You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm rather surprised you didn't receive necessary information and insight in 35 pages of responses to Essential Facts For Low Income Retirees.
I've noticed that whenever anyone starts a fresh thread you attempt to highjack it. You have nothing positive to contribute. Why not start your own thread called "NOTICE ME EVERYONE, PLEASE ...".

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Another Line of Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Most of these facilities I've seen (well, the habitable ones at least) are based in some sort of private charity or foundation...
and are NOT based in a government agency. I don't know how that plays out with Section 8.

Thanks for the contribution (and that recorded search is really nifty) but if you look at the site I cited and search on a big city and then select the "HUD" tab you'll see how each listing is distinguished as being for families, disabled, elderly and so on. These are all Section 8 facilities and some of the "elderly" ones I've investigated are really high quality. I didn't say I wasn't getting anywhere with that site but that I thought it is a great place to start because you can select any city in any state and get detailed listings. From there you can track down the actual management companies and visit their sites for even more information. It's really working for me. I do it all day long.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 10-12-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Thanks for the contribution (and that recorded search is really nifty) but if you look at the site I cited...
As you suggested you weren't getting anywhere with that...
I'm suggesting that you search from the other end of the question
and look only for places that identify themselves as being intended for seniors.

hth

Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I've noticed that whenever anyone starts a fresh thread you attempt to highjack it. You have nothing positive to contribute. Why not start your own thread called "NOTICE ME EVERYONE, PLEASE ...".
Wrong! But I could say the same about repetitive threads. The "positive", as it was sometime ago, was to perhaps remind you that the subject may have led to some potential solutions within.

As to your most recent query, Section 8 housing appears to be swamped and overwhelmed right now as a product of the economy and I would not be at all surprised to find lengthy waiting lists in most locales. By the same token, limited income usually means few, if any, income taxes which makes looking for a place to "land" somewhat easier. You probably don't have to consider them.

At issue, then, would be property taxes a potential landlord would have to pay and would pass on and sales taxes. A good source to gauge those is found here:

RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data

It also links to other useful information for retirement consideration.

Hope it helps and you find what you want, like and can afford. I know it's not easy, especially now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement