Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM

379 posts, read 533,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Heh - my husband loves his parents but he's glad they live in another state!

Anyway - to OP, I was just telling my husband yesterday that if anything should happen to him and I was left alone, that the house we live in now would be the ideal place for me to be a single lady living alone. It is fairly small at less than 1400 sq. ft, all one level, concrete block with terrazzo floors so easy maintenance. Two blocks from bus line, wide streets and sidewalks for bike rides and walking, and close to every kind of store or business I could want. The yard is a bit large, but I am working on getting it planted up with more trees/bushes and less and less yard for upkeep, but if the work eventually got the best of me I would just hire it out.

I could never be without my animals and privacy, and this place lets me do what I want, I have great privacy but wonderful neighbors and accessible to everything. I personally just could never live in any kind of condo or townhome on a permanent basis because they are just not private enough and I need my yard with wildlife.

Good luck to you, I think you are on the right track with finding a smaller home on a small yard in your target neighborhood.
gypsychic, I like what you said! We are in a similar size house with a large yard. In fact, we bought the house for the fenced in yard for the dogs! The house is paid for, taxes $450/year. I have often thought that if I were alone, I would, at my husband's suggestion, live in a condo/townhouse so there would be little outside upkeep. But the thought of being connected to another unit scares me in case of a fire caused by someone else. And the lack of privacy speaks for itself.

I have been thinking lately that I would like to live near my daughter in western WA, but have been looking at the available houses and taxes there. Out of sight compared to what I am used to!

And living near family has caused me to rethink that idea, as my daughter asked me today what we were sending them for Christmas! I'm sorry, but that is just plain rude! She was bemoaning the fact that they only had a few hundred dollars to spend for presents for their two kids and that was not enough, hoping we would take up the "slack."

The 2,000 miles between us seems pretty good today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:41 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
No! I would not want to live with my kids either nor do I want them living with me. I raised them to be independent, I was raised to be independent, and that's how it should be. It would be an extreme situation and a temporary one if they lived with me or I with them.
There are some parent(s) who NEED their children to support them. Financially and/or emotionally.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:42 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Living with family is a crap shoot. Not ALL families are able to work things out. Some drink, some smoke and some have grave personaity problems that make compromising an impossibility. Some times you are spending all that saved money to save a family meneber from their evils.

I know I could not live with the majority of my family, UGH!! perish the thought!!
Things CAN be worked out there are the pros and cons to this. Definately a good plus on the financial side for everyone. It does not have to be forever though.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I'm not in the same boat yet, but think often about what I will do when/if my husband precedes me. Privacy and even just a small patch of land for gardening is very important to me so I don't think I could do the townhouse condo situation. I like my older single female neighbor's lifestyle - easy to maintain 2 br house in an established neighborhood, smallish yard. All of us keep an eye out for her but really she is very self sufficient - always out walking her hound dog or puttering in the yard. And when she's not, she is traveling solo or with friends. Everything is close by - grocery, library, etc which might not be the case if you are out in the boonies.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Privacy and even just a small patch of land for gardening is very important to me
so I don't think I could do the townhouse condo situation.
Most people feel this way.

Quote:
I like my older single female neighbor's lifestyle -
easy to maintain 2 br house in an established neighborhood, smallish yard.
But those who wait too long to sell the big house and shift into that smaller property...
probably won't ever have the option to do so. If that smaller home is what you really want
(for gardens, pets, etc)... find one soon or even build it from scratch before it's too late to do it.

hth

Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Since starting this thread I have been thinking a small 2 or 3 BR ranch with a small yard in a neighborhood that has community like orngkat was speaking of.

I could move farther out in our area and get more house & yard for the same money but then I would be more isolated. I love having all my shops, restaurants, gym & other stuff nearby. I could walk down a few blocks to the grocery store with my dog and get a few items ..

Hoping to sell this "money pit" soon and make enough to afford what I want.

Last edited by kelly237; 11-14-2011 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You don't have to but they should offer and thats what families are for.
There may be a time for that, but clearly she is not ready for it and does not want that for herself. Give her a break. She's being independent and many people prefer it that way and are perfectly happy being on their own. My grandfather lived on his own until he was 101; his sister until she was 102. No kids around or nearby and they managed quite well and were happy.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Hi Kelly: This is a great thread. I am in a similar situation here in AZ. I have a house that's too big for me, a yard I can't care for like before and want to move out of state, hopefully to NC. Visited there a few weeks ago and am wondering if there are smaller homes, in a community setting, walkable, one level, with a small back yard and nice people, in the Raleigh/Durham area ? If you have found it, could you tell me where it is? I saw so many HUGE yards, big 2 story homes while there. There is so much to do there for seniors and I plan to join one of those senior organizations that has trips, meetings, and activities. My house is for sale, but so far, no movement. Am not interested in living with my kids, either. They are great people, but it wouldn't work. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There may be a time for that, but clearly she is not ready for it and does not want that for herself. Give her a break. She's being independent and many people prefer it that way and are perfectly happy being on their own. My grandfather lived on his own until he was 101; his sister until she was 102. No kids around or nearby and they managed quite well and were happy.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi Kelly: This is a great thread. I am in a similar situation here in AZ. I have a house that's too big for me, a yard I can't care for like before and want to move out of state, hopefully to NC. Visited there a few weeks ago and am wondering if there are smaller homes, in a community setting, walkable, one level, with a small back yard and nice people, in the Raleigh/Durham area ? If you have found it, could you tell me where it is? I saw so many HUGE yards, big 2 story homes while there. There is so much to do there for seniors and I plan to join one of those senior organizations that has trips, meetings, and activities. My house is for sale, but so far, no movement. Am not interested in living with my kids, either. They are great people, but it wouldn't work. Thanks.
We are hunting for the same thing aren't we. Keep in touch because Raleigh has safe neighborhoods and less safe neighborhoods and sometimes they are not far from each other. Ranch style houses are fewer & and in more demand. One excellent location is Crosswinds & Greystone near Leadmine & Sawmill Rd in North Raleigh. I use to live there and parts have the smaller homes on smaller lots. These type areas are more expensive than being in the surrounding areas like Apex, Creedmoor, Fuquay Varina. If I can afford it I prefer to be in the North Raleigh area that is such a convienent & safe area. East Raleigh and Durham have a reputation of more crime. I grew up in Durham but it has changed.

ps. I plan to start working with a realtor in January, but won't buy til my current house sells. I will let you know what areas I find. I would prefer newer construction but that could be wishing for the moon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement