Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Curmudgeon has a few different definitions, but all of them seem to have something to do with getting older. Something about reaching the 55+ level in life makes people get cantankerous. Or maybe they just reach a point where they figure a few crusty comments might bring people back down to Earth (or at least get a laugh).

Some of the greatest wits of modern literature take great in being called curmudgeons. They use their wit to pop the bubbles of absurdity and flakiness that they see in the world around them. Other people say a curmudgeon is the grumpy old man who yells "You kids get off my lawn!"

So... what do you think? What is a curmudgeon? And, are you one? Are you becoming more so as you get older?

Also, can women be curmudgeons? Or would that be a curmudgeoness? Do you have a favorite curmudgeon, or maybe a few favorite curmudgeonly sayings?

And most of all.... what is it about reaching retirement age that brings this out in us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM

One other thing about being a curmudgeon--the curmudgeon is generally seen as a highly ethical person. He may be grumpy but he's not a hypocrite. When you need help he's a person you can count on (and often surprisingly generous and even chivalrous, although he may deny this because he has a reputation to protect).

Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So... what do you think? What is a curmudgeon? And, are you one? Are you becoming more so as you get older?
A) What's it to you?

B) I don't have time for this foolishness

C) I've been this way since I was five

D) Step on my lawn and you'll have just enough time to bend over and kiss your a** goodbye.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Quote:
One other thing about being a curmudgeon--the curmudgeon is generally seen as a highly ethical person. He may be grumpy but he's not a hypocrite. When you need help he's a person you can count on (and often surprisingly generous and even chivalrous, although he may deny this because he has a reputation to protect).
I think that I tend to agree with this. He (or she) has always had definite ideas about a lot of things and as the years pass, He (or Me) doesn't seem to want to be bothered by being polite about expressing those thoughts.

I find that I have less and less patience with those irritating in-laws. I see no reason why I should bother with trying to be nice. If they haven't learned by now, they never will.

The female would probably not be called a curmudgeon. She would be called what she is know by all her life, regardless of age, B*tch or Witch. I don't think we would trust the old lady as much as we would trust the old coot.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
What is a curmudgeon?
Here are a few synonyms when one looks at the thesaurus: bear, bellyacher, bug, crab, crank, crosspatch, curmudgeon, faultfinder, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, kicker, malcontent, moaner, sorehead, sourpuss, whiner (Curmudgeon Synonyms, Curmudgeon Antonyms | Thesaurus.com)
Quote:
And, are you one? Are you becoming more so as you get older?
Gosh, I hope not. These are generally the types of folks I choose to avoid (this forum's frequent poster who calls himself Curmudgeon, aside ).

Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
...this forum's frequent poster who calls himself Curmudgeon....
I think she's trying to steal his thunder...

Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I've been one since high school.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
There is a huge difference...I work with mean old people, and curmdgeons...I don't want to work with any mean folks.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think she's trying to steal his thunder...
Nah, I like his thunder just the way he throws it.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Some wisdom from a few famous curmudgeons:

"There's only one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him. If he says yes, you know he's a crook." Groucho Marx

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it and when he can." Mark Twain

"Life is one long process of getting tired." Samuel Butler

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people." G.K. Chesterton

"I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me." Fred Allen

"When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it's a sure sign you're getting old." Mark Twain

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook." Thomas Jefferson

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher." Socrates

"I love mankind - it's people I can't stand." Charles M. Schulz

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." Anatole France

" He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away." Raymond Hull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement