Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just watched the latest weather report. The Nor'easter coming across FLA and up the coast right into the shore that was devastated by Sandy. The waves perhaps 10 to 20 feet with several inches of rain and winds to 55 mph. The cold is descending on those devastated areas. And it isn't even winter yet. If I had another bathroom I would be inclined to take in a refugee from NY or NJ...if they could get here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Huh?
I'd assume only one bathroom. And bathrooms are very private places..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Good point Tuborg. This year there was a big scandal with NJ prisons, which had been outsourced to private companies. I'm too lazy right now to look up the articles, but it was a nightmare situation. In addition, many criminals were being released that shouldn't have. There is this assumption that private industry can always do it better, but sometimes that is just not true.

NJ is the highest taxed state (for property taxes) in the nation. Politicians are always promising to change that, but somehow it never happens. Our budget revenue right now is way below projections, and obviously this storm won't help. State pension fund also ridiculously underfunded. The highway fund has been raided to balance the budget, so I don't think we'll see any money put aside for emergencies anytime soon.
I was born there and most of family is still there. Some lost power and the state was a mess before this and I won't comment on the future of.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Who is the head "disaster planner" for the city of NY? Why are shelters set up "on the fly"? Why aren't they permanently designated and stocked, with city buses taking mandatory evacuees there from all low lying areas?
We're a dinky little county - and we have this:

Shelter Locations

Robyn

Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
The NY Metro area is so densely populated that in reality an evacuation plan is a joke. Major traffic jams everyday throughout the region are the norm. I can't even imagine the gridlock if much of the area had to evacuate in a relatively short period. One of the reasons we moved to western Jersey when we retired was to get away from the traffic.

In NYC, many people don't own cars, so they have no way to evacuate. Getting enough buses in place would be next to impossible. There are many people living in high rise apartment buildings with no power - for the elderly, that becomes another big problem.

Even in our less densely populated area, most people did stock up on food and gas before the storm, leaving stores with little food. Many supermarkets in this area are still not open and probably half the gas stations don't have power. We were better off than most, since we have a wood burning fireplace, which we kept going 24/7 - put a tarp over the room opening, so at least that room was bearable. People with generators had trouble finding gas, and there's a limit to how much gas you would want to store in a home, so even that became a problem. We are on public water and sewer, but many people that live in the more rural towns around here are on wells and septic - thus they have no running water when the power is out. Many in this area still don't have power, so even water becomes an issue.
Do areas like yours have natural gas? My brother has a generator that runs on natural gas (it's huge). OK to use as long as the natural gas lines are intact. Here - any generator we had would use propane or diesel fuel. Don't see that it makes any sense for us (we evacuate for hurricanes).

We don't have any buses in our county where I live. But in counties that have buses and lots of people living in high rises (like in south Florida) - the regular bus service shuts down before a storm and the buses are used to pick up people and evacuate them to shelters (there are planned bus evacuation routes). Robyn

Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...Well, she did have a gun, I suppose she could have shot her dogs if things had really gotten that desperate. Fortunately, things weren't that desperate.

And do you really want to suggest someone do that? Really? Really???????...
Some people are animal lovers. I'm not one of them. And I would always put peoples' need ahead of animals in an emergency situation.

Quote:
The side door was also obstructed. Trees in NY are not palm trees. They have extremely long and heavy side branches. When trees fall in hurricane force winds, those branches break and scatter all around the area. Although the branches are smaller than the trunk, many still weigh well over 100 pounds. Therefore even a relatively small branch obstructing a door needs to be cut up with a chainsaw. We could not get into the garage until we cut up the tree...

Well, if this is your argument I certainly hope that you are putting your house up for sale today and looking for assisted living, because you would not have been able to move those branches either...
Most of the trees where I live aren't palm trees. There are lots of oaks - tall pines - cedars - etc. And - I guess like your relative - most people here seem to be allergic to pruning/thinning out trees. We keep ours in good shape for storms. And we bit the bullet this year and took down 6 tall pines that were within striking distance of the house. OTOH - our neighbors don't take care of their trees. So it's possible one of their trees could land on our house. Which is why we have a good tree service. If one of those trees comes down on a house - it would take more than an old lady like you or me with a chainsaw to handle it.

Quote:
I've already explained this nonsense about going 100 miles out of my way is not true. Apparently you think if you keep saying something enough times you make it true, but nope--it's still not true...
I had you in a different part of Virginia. The route you take is about 35-40 miles longer than a "straight shot". And the RT is about 700 miles give or take. Robyn

Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Default Latest updates from our friends NJ, NY

We have many friends in LI, Jersey shore and northern NJ. People in many parts of northern NJ are still without power, now over a week, due to the trees which pulled the power lines down; those in LI tell us the streets are full of household furniture, appliances and goods that have been ruined by water damage, not to mention all the food. Cars are piled in the roads, rendered useless by the storm. No generators were available in the area and many drove upstate to get one. Upstate sold out quickly and had people waiting in the parking lots. The company will not turn the utilities back on in the homes until a contractor inspects them (large lack of contractors). Those that have generators, unless powered by gasoline, are useless. There are no gas cans to be had, and the lines for gas are limited and long. They have no place to go. The same situation exists at the Jersey shore, with many homes condemned or non existent. They can hear gas hissing and there is no electricity, so those whose homes are can be repaired cannot start. Meanwhile the mold will begin to multiply. The Jersey shore has very limited contractors normally, now there is an unbelievable shortage. In both areas people are afraid to leave their homes as looters are stealing the little bit that remains. Personally they should shoot them on site. Food stores have no goods, restaurants are closed and there are many seniors living there. The boats small and large are piled up like toys. It is heartbreaking and even though many warned of a storm that could destroy the shore, they didn't take heed. They were not prepared for this kind of devastation; I'm not sure they could ever foresee something of this proportion.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM

342 posts, read 717,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Do areas like yours have natural gas? My brother has a generator that runs on natural gas (it's huge). OK to use as long as the natural gas lines are intact. Here - any generator we had would use propane or diesel fuel. Don't see that it makes any sense for us (we evacuate for hurricanes).

We don't have any buses in our county where I live. But in counties that have buses and lots of people living in high rises (like in south Florida) - the regular bus service shuts down before a storm and the buses are used to pick up people and evacuate them to shelters (there are planned bus evacuation routes). Robyn
Actually, we have natural gas. When we moved here 3 years ago, our neighbor told us that in 17 years they had never lost power for more than 24 hours. Last year's Halloween storm, we were out for 5 days - this time for 3. We plan to look into getting a gas generator once things quiet down (right now they are sold out everywhere). Some people heat with propane, others with oil - depends on where you live.

Compared to much of Jersey, I realize we are lucky. Our town was very organized. They did robo-calling before the storm to tell us where the emergency shelter would be in the event of power outages. Although there were no showers, there was plenty of food and cots for anyone who needed to sleep there. Many people went over to recharge cell phones and catch up on news. We also have a local radio station that was terrific - they stayed on air taking calls from residents as well as town officials giving updates - it was a great source of information while the power was out.

Obviously, doing this in a small town is much easier than in NYC.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd assume only one bathroom. And bathrooms are very private places..
That is correct. It is on the first floor, adjacent to my bedroom. Will have a half bath upstairs come spring.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
That is correct. It is on the first floor, adjacent to my bedroom. Will have a half bath upstairs come spring.
Ahhh, got it... Congrats on the upcoming 1/2 bath!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Some people are animal lovers. I'm not one of them. And I would always put peoples' need ahead of animals in an emergency situation.

Most of the trees where I live aren't palm trees. There are lots of oaks - tall pines - cedars - etc. And - I guess like your relative - most people here seem to be allergic to pruning/thinning out trees. We keep ours in good shape for storms. And we bit the bullet this year and took down 6 tall pines that were within striking distance of the house. OTOH - our neighbors don't take care of their trees. So it's possible one of their trees could land on our house. Which is why we have a good tree service. If one of those trees comes down on a house - it would take more than an old lady like you or me with a chainsaw to handle it.

I had you in a different part of Virginia. The route you take is about 35-40 miles longer than a "straight shot". And the RT is about 700 miles give or take. Robyn
Robyn there is no such thing as a straight shot to NJ on 95 leaving anywhere near Richmond or North. Even if the trip took more than an hour the scenic way is more relaxing and oh year less stressful. Rt 15 west of the DC area is very scenic and much more peaceful. Perhaps a tad longer as the crow flys but even crows would pass on driving 95 if they could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement