Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times

Advertisements

I am not saying this to be critical of anyone but I am wondering something. If for weeks you hear a major perhaps catastrophic storm is headin your way and in the days before you are being told this could be it the storm of the century with devestating consequences for us and and and. It hits and does what Sandy did why do you need gas your first trip out after the storm? Why didn't folks have a full tank as the storm hit, didn't they have enough warning time to get gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
most people filled up and did their shopping prior. but like me i used gas sparingly all weekend and i was down to 1/2 tank last night just going to work and getting the thing we needed before the storm..

very few work near where they live and the last 5 days is about 1/2 a tanks worth.

by us there is not one egg, loaf of bread or milk in the area. whats everyone making french toast?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Much of the Sandy news this morning dealt with long gasoline lines and a gas shortage in NYC. Shouldn't gasoline be one of those pre-position supplies that FEMA stages in advance of storms? If not, why not?
My niece, a doctor who works at a NJ hospital and lives in Manhattan, is running around today on a quarter tank of gas. Gas stations are out or not operational. I can't believe that priority hasn't been given to medical personnel and responders. A pretty big oversight.

“I have ordered the four East River bridges be restricted to high-occupancy vehicles coming into Manhattan, meaning three or more people per vehicle, all day Thursday and all day Friday from 6 a.m. to midnight,” Bloomberg said.

This should be fun for her and thousands of others commuting to and from work.

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-01-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The 3-4 feet, or higher, of standing water in NYC - subway tunnels and elsewhere - is mind-boggling.

I continue to be seriously concerned about long-term damage to the stability of the very old, very extensive, very labrynthian underground infrastructure in NYC.

• Six million still without power
  • LaGuardia is still under water.
  • Bridges are closed. Bloomberg has said those few which can be used are limited to cars with at least three occupants unless traveling before 6 a.m.
  • Most trains not running and won't be for an indefinite period.
  • There is no power on Wall Street right now. The NYSE is running on generator.
  • One real estate guy was on CNBC a hour ago, saying he might get power back in his buildings in a couple of weeks, once they get through dealing with the water damage.
I call this a calamity, consequences of which we don't yet know.
Doesn't take much, does it, to cripple the largest city in the nation. And all that denial about aging infrastructure (where was the money spent needed for that?).

New York Harbor with a major oil spill - and extent of damage with gas lines ruptured up and down the shores, hissing and ready to explode (see 2nd video):

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gas-shortag...5#.UJL0OY5sh2M

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-01-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Per Gov. Cuomo, NY:
Quote:
This “little sliver of land,” he said, is so solid that it allowed people to build “15, 20, 30 stories below the surface.”
Scroll down this link (at 6:09 p.m.) for an MTA video of water being pumped from the subway tunnels.

Sandy?s Aftermath: Live Storm Updates - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 AM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
the things that make new york a great city are things that hurt new york too.

think about it we not only have huge sky scrappers but the rock of manhattan island has a city below too.

we go 30 stories below ground witb a transportation network, we have steam generation thats transmitted for heating building with no boilers.

we have an underground electric system that hardly ever fails. even now 80% of the city has power and the other 20% is not by failure of the electic system. its shut down by choice.

an underground network of cables and communications exist far below the surface.

you go to other areas with over head services like long island and if the weather sneezes they are out.

we have buildings that have multiple basements going down in the ground almoast as much as their height.

except for gas and the french toast items where we are in queens we have no problems.

other areas that got storm surges are having problems.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Is flooding the wave of the future?

Over half of Venice flooded by heavy rain - CBS News Video

Something to think about when pondering where to retire.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
There are diasters likely to happen of all types. new orleans;a hurricane strikig new york have been the subject of studies for deacdes. same as a Japn type earth quake opff shore with even shorter notice ober due i the pacfic northwest.In amny oinsatnces the same or wrose has happened before i same area just that we did have so mnay i the danger zone. Repeat5ed floodig along the mississippi flow has repeatly happened thru the year as well as other wtaerways.Disaters are not really new just as drught isn't lookig back at the 50's and even into the dust bowl days.Wasn't always the weather i the end but chnages made had made to use of the land and waterways changes.Katrina was muc like other hurricanes and didn't even directly hit new orleans;what happened to make it different is that levy failed and home built low lyig areas wehre floorded. Old new orleans didin't get destroyed.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
Default Caladium~~~

Check in when you can - hope you're not stuck somewhere.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Hi everyone--woke up this morning to the luxury of having power. Woo hoo! It feels so good to be able to take a hot shower and check relatively trivial sites on the internet (sorry guys--love you a lot but checking in with city-data was not my first priority). The things you take for granted until you go through an emergency situation. What a wild ride the last few days have been, but the good news is all is (comparatively) well. It’s been rough at times but the house is now ok and we‘re going to be able to move the dogs later today, so I can’t really complain.

Just a quick note re: gas, since that’s a big issue right now. I never had any problems getting gas on this trip. I took 15 to Harrisburg, PA and then headed east, and if you have to drive to NY I recommend this route. Filled up at a station in Easton, PA and probably could have filled up even closer than that--however that was a few days ago. I hear that there now may be lines as far west as the PA border. Not sure if that’s true--can’t believe everything you hear right now--but thought I’d pass it on just in case anyone who’s thinking of taking this route. I drive a Prius so that gave me more than enough gas for everything I needed to do while in NY, in fact I still have more than half a tank. So I haven’t experienced the gas lines or seen people getting crazy--more on that later but the people I met seemed patient and resilient and strong. Not surprised to hear some people in gas lines might be losing it but can you blame them?

More later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement