Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is flooding the wave of the future?

Over half of Venice flooded by heavy rain - CBS News Video

Something to think about when pondering where to retire.
Yes and of course yes in some very predictatble areas. If a region is near the ocean and is barely above sea level and some interior regions are at or even below sea levels than yes. Rising ocean levels change what is considered sea level and any region slightly above is at risk of becoming below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Rising Sea Levels a Growing Risk to Coastal U.S., Study Says - NYTimes.com

Quote:
About 3.7 million Americans live within a few feet of high tide and risk being hit by more frequent coastal flooding in coming decades because of the sea level rise caused by global warming, according to new research.
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...0/2/10-1-4.pdf

Quote:
Abstract. Rising ocean levels have resulted in increasingly severe flooding in numerous metropol-itan coastal areas. What would it cost to minimize or eliminate such damage? Relatively little economic work has been done to provide an answer, at least partially because some authori-ties believe attempts to deal with flooding ultimately are futile. Further, discussions of fund-ing always involve massive welfare transfers from the non-flooded to the flooded. The cost of erecting a single mile of new sea wall exceeds $35 million in 2009 dollars and annual mainten-ance costs range between 5 and 10 percent.
Insight: Flooded New York plans to tame the sea, but who pays? - Yahoo! News

Quote:
To many New Yorkers, Sandy's destruction came as a shock. But to scientists, engineers, environmentalists and public officials, this was a tragedy waiting to happen. A 2007 study by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development ranked greater New York second among the world's large port cities most exposed to coastal flooding based on the value of their property.

"People have said for many years - specifically since Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans - that New York City was prone to such a super storm," New York City Comptroller John Liu said on Thursday.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
the way the gas situation is i figure by next week ill just take a vacation from work since most of us wont be able to get there.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the way the gas situation is i figure by next week ill just take a vacation from work since most of us wont be able to get there.
With a NorEaster coming

Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times
Default Exhausted Yet?

A talking head on TV said that he wondered how long Sandy would remain #1 in the news before the viewing public grew tired of watching the plight of Sandy victims.

Wow!

FEMA has been saying for years that everyone shouldn't expect Big Govn't to ride to their rescue but to maintain at least 3 days of emergency supplies. Funny thing. I started looking behind the victims interviewed on the nightly news and saw sand. Just sand. I have no doubt FEMA has contingency plans for a Katrina type catastrophe in a vinyl binder somewhere and help will come. Eventually.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
A talking head on TV said that he wondered how long Sandy would remain #1 in the news before the viewing public grew tired of watching the plight of Sandy victims.

Wow!

FEMA has been saying for years that everyone shouldn't expect Big Govn't to ride to their rescue but to maintain at least 3 days of emergency supplies. Funny thing. I started looking behind the victims interviewed on the nightly news and saw sand. Just sand. I have no doubt FEMA has contingency plans for a Katrina type catastrophe in a vinyl binder somewhere and help will come. Eventually.
I wish I thought that was true but I don't. Some of the problems can only be addressed with time and more time and money and more money. The topic of the rebuilding cost is on the back burner depending on the election and the outcome of the election. NY has had a critical problem in that it had to many people concentrated in to small an area with so many of the necessities of life transported in the inability to be a self sustaining entity of any sort. Just not the land available to bring FEMA trailers in as to much of the NY and NJ area is over developed. Way to over developed and where are people suppose to go? If schools are shelters how do you reopen schools?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
im waiting to see if monday they do away with alternate side of the street parking since few can use their cars and even parking spots are now at a premium to find.

the city can just ticket everyone as it stands right now.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 PM

342 posts, read 717,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi everyone--woke up this morning to the luxury of having power. Woo hoo! It feels so good to be able to take a hot shower and check relatively trivial sites on the internet (sorry guys--love you a lot but checking in with city-data was not my first priority). The things you take for granted until you go through an emergency situation. What a wild ride the last few days have been, but the good news is all is (comparatively) well. It’s been rough at times but the house is now ok and we‘re going to be able to move the dogs later today, so I can’t really complain.

Just a quick note re: gas, since that’s a big issue right now. I never had any problems getting gas on this trip. I took 15 to Harrisburg, PA and then headed east, and if you have to drive to NY I recommend this route. Filled up at a station in Easton, PA and probably could have filled up even closer than that--however that was a few days ago. I hear that there now may be lines as far west as the PA border. Not sure if that’s true--can’t believe everything you hear right now--but thought I’d pass it on just in case anyone who’s thinking of taking this route. I drive a Prius so that gave me more than enough gas for everything I needed to do while in NY, in fact I still have more than half a tank. So I haven’t experienced the gas lines or seen people getting crazy--more on that later but the people I met seemed patient and resilient and strong. Not surprised to hear some people in gas lines might be losing it but can you blame them?

More later.
Reporting in from western NJ - got power back Wednesday. Jersey is in terrible shape - so many areas flooded out and of course the shore is a disaster. In western Jersey we didn't get too much rain, so no flooding, but trees down everywhere and most of the county (and the whole state) lost power. Supermarkets are starting to be re-stocked (if they're open), and lines are long.

The gas situation is terrible - many stations do not yet have power and for those open, there are very, very long lines. Loads of people from this area heading to PA for gas, so now there are lines there as well.

Now that I can watch the news, I realize the national channels have very little coverage of Jersey, everything is centered on NY, but trust me, this whole state has been hammered.

Right now I'm thankful to have heat and the luxury of a hot shower. Realize how lucky we were after seeing the pictures of devastation throughout the state. There's the possibility of another storm hitting the area mid-week, with heavy rain/and or snow and high winds. Praying to the weather gods the forecast changes!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Default Do you still believe the warnings were just media hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm doing nothing to prepare for the storm. Husband is off playing golf and I returned from a nice walk and now it's play time on the computer. After living on the Atlantic side of Florida for six years, barricading our house with corrugated steel shutters, and going without electricity for days, I think we can handle what's coming to the northeast. The media needs to take it down a notch... frankenstorm???
Quote:
Here on Cape Cod, people aren't getting in a tizzy. I brought in some Halloween decorations and turned my patio tables upside down. We didn't stock up on anything. If the power goes out, and it's for days, then we'll take a road trip and find a hotel. Met up with my 79 y/o neighbor and she's headed out tomorrow to get her car repaired. She lives alone, I told her to call if she needed anything, and she shrugged it off like... What can happen? I'm finding a lot of that here. I'm starting to catch the it's-no-big-deal fever.
Quote:
Sorry I don't meet your strict policies in adherence to approaching hurricanes but a lot of it is media hype. Yes, people need to take heed and do what they need to do to stay safe but there's such a thing as going overboard and prolonging the stress. I didn't say I was grabbing a boogie board and heading to the beach!
Have you had occasion to change your opinion on any of this? Do you still believe "a lot of it is media hype"? Do you still brag that you were "doing nothing to prepare for the storm"?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Reporting in from western NJ - got power back Wednesday. Jersey is in terrible shape - so many areas flooded out and of course the shore is a disaster. In western Jersey we didn't get too much rain, so no flooding, but trees down everywhere and most of the county (and the whole state) lost power. Supermarkets are starting to be re-stocked (if they're open), and lines are long.

The gas situation is terrible - many stations do not yet have power and for those open, there are very, very long lines. Loads of people from this area heading to PA for gas, so now there are lines there as well.

Now that I can watch the news, I realize the national channels have very little coverage of Jersey, everything is centered on NY, but trust me, this whole state has been hammered.

Right now I'm thankful to have heat and the luxury of a hot shower. Realize how lucky we were after seeing the pictures of devastation throughout the state. There's the possibility of another storm hitting the area mid-week, with heavy rain/and or snow and high winds. Praying to the weather gods the forecast changes!
fay - to be blunt - that's the way the MSM works IMO. If they can't stay in a luxury hotel in a major metro area to cover you - forget about coverage. You think any of these people might dare to risk a night in a Residence Inn???? Katrina was a partial exception because of the race angle. When we got hit by Hurricane Andrew - it was here today and gone tomorrow as far as the MSM was concerned - because most of the storm damage was well south of Miami Beach (preferred MSM place of residence when traveling to Miami).

Note that I have family in the NY metro area (Manhattan and Westchester and Staten Island) - New Jersey - and Pennsylvania. We are staying in touch by email when possible (some family members don't have power back yet - although most do).

I am very glad that you have your power back. When we have storms that knock out power here in Florida - well people can die in the summer heat. But it's a lot easier to die from extreme cold than extreme heat as long as you are taking it easy and staying in the shade with windows open and perhaps using something like a battery operated fan. As a senior (or even if I were a junior) - I'd be absolutely terrified of facing cold weather without power/heat.

You take care of yourself (and any family) and be well, Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement