Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We're a dinky little county - and we have this:

Shelter Locations

Robyn
impressive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Robyn there is no such thing as a straight shot to NJ on 95 leaving anywhere near Richmond or North. Even if the trip took more than an hour the scenic way is more relaxing and oh year less stressful. Rt 15 west of the DC area is very scenic and much more peaceful. Perhaps a tad longer as the crow flys but even crows would pass on driving 95 if they could.
So true. We live out that way, not far from Dulles airport and the best thing we've done was to start going up 15 to Harrisburg then catch the interstates over towards NY when we now drive to New England. Yes, it's further, but scenic not to mention the lack of stress of the DC beltway, I95, NJ Trnpk, Garden State Freeway, and the lack of tolls, makes it well worth the extra miles or time.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Robyn there is no such thing as a straight shot to NJ on 95 leaving anywhere near Richmond or North. Even if the trip took more than an hour the scenic way is more relaxing and oh year less stressful. Rt 15 west of the DC area is very scenic and much more peaceful. Perhaps a tad longer as the crow flys but even crows would pass on driving 95 if they could.
The last time we did the drive was in 2001 - going home after 9/11 (we were in Manhattan and all the flights were grounded - so we rented a car and drove home). Guess "emergencies" and "peaceful" aren't 2 concepts that enter my mind simultaneously when I'm talking about planning a trip like this. Robyn

Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We have many friends in LI, Jersey shore and northern NJ. People in many parts of northern NJ are still without power, now over a week, due to the trees which pulled the power lines down; those in LI tell us the streets are full of household furniture, appliances and goods that have been ruined by water damage, not to mention all the food. Cars are piled in the roads, rendered useless by the storm. No generators were available in the area and many drove upstate to get one. Upstate sold out quickly and had people waiting in the parking lots. The company will not turn the utilities back on in the homes until a contractor inspects them (large lack of contractors). Those that have generators, unless powered by gasoline, are useless. There are no gas cans to be had, and the lines for gas are limited and long. They have no place to go. The same situation exists at the Jersey shore, with many homes condemned or non existent. They can hear gas hissing and there is no electricity, so those whose homes are can be repaired cannot start. Meanwhile the mold will begin to multiply. The Jersey shore has very limited contractors normally, now there is an unbelievable shortage. In both areas people are afraid to leave their homes as looters are stealing the little bit that remains. Personally they should shoot them on site. Food stores have no goods, restaurants are closed and there are many seniors living there. The boats small and large are piled up like toys. It is heartbreaking and even though many warned of a storm that could destroy the shore, they didn't take heed. They were not prepared for this kind of devastation; I'm not sure they could ever foresee something of this proportion.
No matter how well people prepare - sometimes it is impossible to plan enough. Like you prepare to be without power etc. for a week - and then your house is destroyed. What then? I can tell you that - as someone who went through Hurricane Andrew (although - in terms of Andrew - our damage was about a 5-6 on a scale of 1 to 10 - 10 being people who lost everything - we had 150k+ houses totally destroyed in Andrew) - I feel awful for these people. Because not only are they forgotten in terms of the media (what media guy with great hair wants to visit Staten Island or the Jersey Shore now) - but because - unlike Florida after a storm - these people are/will be cold/freezing. The most important thing now IMO is to prevent people from dying from hypothermia. Robyn

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
as of today my sons building in white plains still has one phase out and while they have power the buildings boiler is on that phase so they have no heat or hot water.

they are coming to stay with us today as the temperatures took a serious dip.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
My thoughts are with you and everyone else facing the nor-easter, Mathjak. Hope everyone stays warm and as dry as possible, and hopefully there won't be too much damage from this. Mother Nature can be so unfair at times.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The last time we did the drive was in 2001 - going home after 9/11 (we were in Manhattan and all the flights were grounded - so we rented a car and drove home). Guess "emergencies" and "peaceful" aren't 2 concepts that enter my mind simultaneously when I'm talking about planning a trip like this. Robyn
Robyn, over the years I have travelled 95 North of Richmond hundreds of times and have learned to hate the drive. I use Richmond as a reference point because it is a civil drive south of.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
We do it twice a year and timewise, do just as well by adding a few more miles and going west of the Wash/Balt,NJ area.
95 looks good on paper and under ideal conditions.(like nobody else using it

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
We do it twice a year and timewise, do just as well by adding a few more miles and going west of the Wash/Balt,NJ area.
95 looks good on paper and under ideal conditions.(like nobody else using it
Very true. Plus, for many people, the western route is not only prettier, it's the more direct route. Taking Rt 15 from my house to Bayville is 294 miles. If I take 95 my trip becomes 310 miles and is more stressful.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Very true. Plus, for many people, the western route is not only prettier, it's the more direct route. Taking Rt 15 from my house to Bayville is 294 miles. If I take 95 my trip becomes 310 miles and is more stressful.
How can you say that Caladium? Driving 95 offers so much more opportunity to actually see and observe the scenery. It is much easier to see what is around you moving at 3 miles an hour than at a normal speed on Rt 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement