Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

All those years of monthly checking account statements from long ago have been shredded. I have not received a paper checking account statement in the mail for a number of years (having discontinued them), as I just check my balance online from time to time and make sure everything jibes with my register. It's great that society as a whole can save a few trees and we as individuals can reduce the paper clutter at home. My credit union switched from monthly to quarterly statements for their savings accounts several years ago - also an excellent move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Unhappy goodbye old love letters......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

I admit, I'm a saver. I don't think I could get rid of love letters, ever.
The love letters were hard to dispose of. I was widowed (13 years ago after an 18 year marriage) and my former husband and I were in a long distance relationship for a year during our "courtship" and then again during the course of our marriage, when my son was in high school he was transferred and I stayed with the house while my former husband lived out of state before emails (late 80's). So we did alot of letter writing. But they were private and there was probably 200 of them (we'd each saved one another's). Now, at this stage in life and 8 years remarried, I didn't think if something happened to me that I'd want anyone to read them. I skimmed a few...swallowed hard....and tossed them. Sweet love, another life... *sigh.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
You are wise to start downsizing/tossing things ahead of time. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
At least. One for electrical issues. One for plumbing. One for carpentry. One for automotive. One for yard work. One for general maintenance. Maybe one for guns and outdoor equipment.

You can never have enough and certainly don't want too few.
A finished, oversized garage with work benches and a sizeable work shed are things of beauty.
My neighbor (single guy, of course) has a nice little shop. 120' x 240' with a 3 story apartment inside.

plenty of room for tools and toys. BUT really a PAIN to downsize!

He will need SEVERAL dump-trucks when it comes time to move.

I have considered having workshops in 20' Shipping containers so you can just load the shop(s) up on your semi truck and move. Many folks are building living pods in Storage Containers with the same idea. (not that I would try THAT.)

Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Also, be sure to take labels off old prescription bottles before you trash or recycle them.
I kept putting these aside, trying to come up with a good way to either take off the labels or obliterate the writing. Markers didn't work -- you could still see the lettering.

Finally came up with a very easy solution -- I file off my info and the Rx name with a nail file! Simple, easy to do, and absolute -- can't read a thing!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Shred, shred, shred

Just a reminder to everyone to shred any old tax returns, credit card bills, resumes, etc. You really don't want your identity solen or fraudulent charges on your credit card. We recently had someone stead our credit card # and use it for European vacation charges. Luckily, the credit card company caught it right away. Also, be sure to take labels off old prescription bottles before you trash or recycle them. I'm shredding 10 years of old cancelled checks and statements. Still have all the very old tax returns to do. Trying to do the easy things first--before the emotional items.
We had so much paperwork - stored for 30 years- that we burned it
all. We would have been shredding for weeks. Saved on electricity, too.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I kept putting these aside, trying to come up with a good way to either take off the labels or obliterate the writing. Markers didn't work -- you could still see the lettering.

Finally came up with a very easy solution -- I file off my info and the Rx name with a nail file! Simple, easy to do, and absolute -- can't read a thing!
Great idea I have been tearing off sections and throwing the rest od the documents in the recycling bag. Then shredding things with my SSN. I probably am at something of a risk now with all I discarded via blue bags on the curb..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times
Happiest day of my life is when I sold all my garden equipment....(hoses, edgers, etc) and moved out of a big house and into a bare bones condo ....No room for much storage at the condo so I can't hoard...

All I have left in storage are my Military and medical/dental records and my high School yearbook....I'm thinking of trashing the yearbook one of these days....Only then will I be truly FREE....

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I don't believe in downsizing.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I don't believe in downsizing.
Thanks for the helpful insight...

Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
We actually downsized twice, in prepearation for retirement. Once bought a smaller house, 2007, and then sold our second home, 2010. We have not missed any of the "stuff". We will be doing a long distance move when we do retire, and very little will go with us. We are starting to dump things for that date 2 years from now. Except of course all the tools as stated above.

I highly recommend doing it early. it also gives you the opportunity to sell it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement