Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Agree with the sentiment but I always heard don't keep the will in a lock box (assuming that was what was meant by bank). Aren't lock boxes immediately closed/sealed as part of the estate, if it is an estate, not a trust?
Good thought....A relative (the Independent Executor) has my Statuatory Durable Power of Attorney and Power of Attorney for Healthcare along with my Directive to Physicians....The Power of Attorney along with a Death Cert. will get him into my Bank Safe Box..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Good thought....A relative (the Independent Executor) has my Statuatory Durable Power of Attorney and Power of Attorney for Healthcare along with my Directive to Physicians....The Power of Attorney along with a Death Cert. will get him into my Bank Safe Box..
A Durable Power of Attorney ends at death. This, along with the Death Cert., will NOT get him into your bank safe box. OTOH, if he can get into the box before the bank learns of your death...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
A Durable Power of Attorney ends at death. This, along with the Death Cert., will NOT get him into your bank safe box. OTOH, if he can get into the box before the bank learns of your death...
That's exactly what I remember us doing years ago after a death in the family, which wasn't easy in a small town. Because of those incidences I had it pounded into me never put a will in a lock box.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Agree with the sentiment but I always heard don't keep the will in a lock box (assuming that was what was meant by bank). Aren't lock boxes immediately closed/sealed as part of the estate, if it is an estate, not a trust?
Yes that is generally the case. It really depends on the state you live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
That's why you keep the executor's name on it...
This is a perfect solution no matter what state you live in. Your executor or attorney should be the name on the safety deposit box at the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
As someone mentioned it can be a stressful time and someone may not think of it in time. If the will is in the saftety deposit box at the bank it might be too late if they go when they find the key. This is especially true if the death is sudden as in an accident.

Here is a site that talks somewhat of it. Safe Deposit Box Guide | Safety Deposit Boxes, Bank Safe Deposit Box

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I remember us doing years ago after a death in the family, which wasn't easy in a small town. Because of those incidences I had it pounded into me never put a will in a lock box.
In Pa I was able to go into the safety deposit box to obtain the signed will without any problem. A bank officer had to be present and make a list of what was in the box. This went to the state so they could get their taxes. This was in a small town. The real problem was the attorney had the box incorrectly titled so at the death of one owner the box could not be accessed. The bank office told me this has been going on for years and usually the other person has to go to the attorney for help. Thus ask the bank how the box should be titled for access after death.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
TOTALLY GET IT!!! When we downsized almost 4 yrs ago...there were items I could not even DREAM of parting with....so we marked them, packed them and went about our lives of fitting 3000+ sq ft into 1800.

One year later, I was able to say, "hey, I managed 1 yr without this and sorted.....a year after that, did the same....the following year again. It is funny, but those "oh no I HAVE to have items ID themselves when you realize you have gone a year without...not easy, but almost like Christmas.....married to "OMG!!! I thought THIS was necessary!!!?!?!?!?!?!"
I had a friend who moved into a house and 15 years later still had five boxes she never opened. I told her to toss them -- not even open them. She absolutely couldn't. The idea HORRIFIED her.

I'm betting when she moved cross country those boxes went with.

BUT -- before you toss stuff -- check ebay.... don't throw away good money. EVERYTHING may be sellable. We sell vintage t shirts that no longer fit, old magazines, old costume jewelry, my old purses, books....

Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am at a point where if it wont fit in my little cubby drawer at the nursing home, I probably don't need it.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am at a point where if it wont fit in my little cubby drawer at the nursing home, I probably don't need it.
Haha, way to go. My grandmother-in-law had to share a room in a nice nursing home. In her cubby were makeup, fashion jewelry, cards from boyfriends, a few photos, hard candies, chocolates, and nips. That's all one really needs.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We have been in our current house 15 years.... the longest my spouse has been in one place. I suspect we'll be here for at least another 6-8 years... and I will start asking him to clean out his tools. The tool drawers are a mess. I won't even open them.
It's a no-win proposition (for a woman) who asks her man to sort through his tools. Typically they will sort through, rearrange, and when pressed will say they went through everything and absolutely everything is needed. End of story. Those items will be the last to go; he will die clutching them.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
oh--You can have antique appraisers come and buy things and you can find people who are like junk dealers who will do an entire clean out and they take everything. They will give you a certain amount of money for instance, to take everything from the kitchen. Also yard sales for lots of stuff, especially tools and things from the garage and basement. At the end, when I got desperate the junk guy was the best----LOL.
I have some fine Japanese prints and also some family jewelry that I would like to get appraised, but I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money to pay objective appraisers. I catalogued the jewelry, brought a dozen pieces to a jeweler who buys gold, and was rudely told a price he would pay for the lot; he would not give me an appraisal (of course not, what was I thinking). Where can I get these prints and jewelry appraised objectively without paying a fortune to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement