Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Sounds like he's doing fine and the only thing (other than driving, which MIGHT be legit) is that with eyesight not being as good, he doesn't see some dirt. Which is hardly life threatening.

Too bad you had to try to ruin his life and not leave him to live in peace, on his own terms.

What a perfectly horrible thing to say. I think the OP has said that hygiene issues were alleged by social services and she has stated that the house is atrocious . . .and the oldsters only eat soup and fast food (from my recollection). It doesn't sound like he's doing all that well, if memory serves . . . and now his roommate will be leaving.

Just because he's stubborn doesn't mean he doesn't need assistance.

I think social services is expecting that his "kids" will be finding him assisted living. From memory, his son does not want to do this because he has a guilt issue because the dad lent him money . . .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default A bit on the outrageous side, no?

Quote:
Too bad you had to try to ruin his life and not leave him to live in peace, on his own terms.
Well, the original poster is close to the situation and you are not, so for the time being (while still keeping an open mind) I would have to defer to the orginal poster's judgement. I would want to be a lot surer of my ground before I went out on a limb like you have done.

"On his own terms" is a nice theoretical concept. However, I wonder if one of your parents was living in real, genuine squalor and filth, would you be able bithely to say, "Oh, that's fine; he (or she) wants it that way."

Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
This is a really mean thing to say. If you had read the whole thread, you would know how wrong you are.
Yes - extremely mean and inappropriate.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Sounds like he's doing fine and the only thing (other than driving, which MIGHT be legit) is that with eyesight not being as good, he doesn't see some dirt. Which is hardly life threatening.

Did you read the title of this thread - "Got the Call from DCF"?

Perhaps the son and DIL should be "hands off" and let DCF take care of things (and if no one did anything - believe me - the agency would). What do you think about that? Robyn

Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:

Too bad you thought you had something to add to this thread, when obviously, you don't.

Your moniker says you have no name, but I have one for ya, in case you are interested.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Wow....thanks to all who stood up for us!

I just read that one post again - couple of updates:

(Hygiene) - My FIL does smell now. My husband really noticed it recently.

(Bathroom) - Master Bath - there were bars; he took them down.

On the Caregiving Forum, I asked a question one day; most were kind and understanding; one was not.

We have doing this since 2004, even before but that's when my MIL passed away. We sincerely worry about him. We try not to impose. We try to drive him over to the beach so he can try to experience it (used to love it).

Of course, we are concerned about his abilities but we also realize he is independent and we try to honor that as well.

So stressful.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Your FIL needs intervention. Several posters have given you some good advice. If the house is bad enough he could be evicted, but basically he needs day to day care.

Your husband needs to step up to the plate on this issue. He will have to become the parent. His father is now the child.

Edited to add: have a look at the caregivers' forum here for some stories and advice about this sort of issue. I want to add from personal experience that the very elderly often do not make good decisions about a lot of things, including whether they need food assistance. I want to urge your husband to get involved before there is a tragedy there, or before the FIL makes a financial mistake. Make sure he is paying his taxes, for instance.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Just try to clean one room at a time. Set up a time and go over there with something nice to eat, coffee etc...chat it up, but clean up a room or area, toss out some junk that he won't notice. I think he is not much different than many seniors, alone, nobody to talk too, knows death is around the corner. I would try to stay away from assisted living as long as possible, unless you or he have a lot of money. Many of those places are real death traps.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I just read that one post again - couple of updates:

(Hygiene) - My FIL does smell now. My husband really noticed it recently.
It's the start of summer here now. If you go outside and sweat some - and don't bathe once a day - you stink.

Quote:
(Bathroom) - Master Bath - there were bars; he took them down.
That sounds nuts to me. I can understand not putting them up - but taking them down? Any idea why? Robyn

Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:

Please give her a break. The long arm of the gooberment stuck itself into their lives and there is no way to win against Leviathan. The OP is doing what she must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement