Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 06:45 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
...Ani- if it comes down to the transplant list you should be aware that the country is divided up into regions and organs are available within those regions where the patient lives. Some states have a very long list and few available organs. In our area their are few patients and lots of organs, so it is much more likely that your DH would be placed higher on the list. Check into it if you haven't. It could influence where you move to.
Yes - TN seems to have a relatively short list. Steve Jobs moved to Memphis to get his liver transplant.

We too have a pretty short list. There's been a lot of speculation that it's partially because we don't require motorcycle riders to wear helmets - and has resulted in the coinage of a new word: "donorcycles". Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
...Since I travel to many 'country guest homes'... some people are super paranoid; including the amount and type of TP...
Most people here with septic tanks won't use Charmin' Ultra Soft (and they're not former "city slickers").

I am totally unfamiliar with the soils/topography where you live. Where I live - the water table is normally very high (like 3 feet down) - and gets even higher during/after major rain events (not uncommon in Florida). When that happens - septic fields/systems back up. Even the newer ones (which are elevated above ground level and look like "Indian burial mounds"). And all the homeowner can do then is wait for the water table to go down (not a whole lot of fun).

Also - the feds/state government people have - over the decades - required many homeowners with septic systems to install/hook up to sewer systems if/when they find septic systems leaking into and polluting local waterways. And this usually costs a lot of money.

IOW - this isn't a "one size fits everyone everywhere" thing. And people should investigate the waste disposal situation in any area they're exploring. Because no one wants to spend his/her retirement dealing with a lot of sh** all the time . Robyn

Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM

WRT real estate taxes in Florida - low income seniors may be entitled to an additional $50k homestead exemption:

Seniors Additional Homestead Exemption

It's a "local option" exemption - so you have to check whether the part(s) of Florida you're looking at has implemented the exemption. Robyn

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,931,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Did no one comment on this? Sheesh. $4500 net a month!!!!! Ay yi yi. When I retire - very soon - I will be living on approximately $1800 a month and feel lucky that I will have that!
Yes, I commented on John7777s post way back in the beginning (post #17).

When John7777 said: "I have $4500 a month after taxes, health insurance, etc." (net), I thought similar to you...Ay yi yi, indeed.

Last edited by geebabe; 01-24-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
WRT real estate taxes in Florida - low income seniors may be entitled to an additional $50k homestead exemption:

Seniors Additional Homestead Exemption

It's a "local option" exemption - so you have to check whether the part(s) of Florida you're looking at has implemented the exemption. Robyn
Would that have any effect on how CDD rates are calculated?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Would that have any effect on how CDD rates are calculated?
No. Robyn

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Yes, I commented on John7777s post way back in the beginning (post #17).

When John7777 said: "I have $4500 a month after taxes, health insurance, etc." (net), I thought similar to you...Ay yi yi, indeed.
Everything is relative. If John thinks he's not wealthy, he's not. But he knows he's well of and doesn't have to worry, much.

Two people with the same income can have quite different sets of circumstances - student loans, mortgage, helping family members, huge medical expense, etc. There is no dollar level that identifies wealthy, middle class, or poor. The gov't creates guidelines for the purpose of qualifying subsidies, but that is quantitative, not qualitative. I have a friend whose retirement income, she has said, is over twice as much as mine. She owes lot on her mortgage, she spends a lot on entertainment, and as a single spends more on food than I do for a household of two. She spends several hundred/month just on nutritional supplements. At the end of the day, for all her income, I'm able to comfortably save and she's not.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,931,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Everything is relative. If John thinks he's not wealthy, he's not. But he knows he's well of and doesn't have to worry, much.

Two people with the same income can have quite different sets of circumstances - student loans, mortgage, helping family members, huge medical expense, etc. There is no dollar level that identifies wealthy, middle class, or poor. The gov't creates guidelines for the purpose of qualifying subsidies, but that is quantitative, not qualitative. I have a friend whose retirement income, she has said, is over twice as much as mine. She owes lot on her mortgage, she spends a lot on entertainment, and as a single spends more on food than I do for a household of two. She spends several hundred/month just on nutritional supplements. At the end of the day, for all her income, I'm able to comfortably save and she's not.
Greetings newenglandgirl,

I don't need a lesson on everything is relative or different sets of circumstances. I know that. I'm not stupid.

I am not the only one throughout this thread who thought his net income is higher than what others are sharing here...but YAY for him.

You, in your opening post, used the word average which I evidently misunderstood the meaning of. If, for the point of this particular thread, $54,000 a year AFTER taxes, health insurance, etc. is the average retirement income then I stand corrected. And another YAY for all you average retirees. And bummer me!

Just curious why you picked my post, instead of the one I responded to, for your quote. Not a big deal, I can handle it. I just think it's funny and odd!!

Last edited by geebabe; 01-24-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,109 times
Responding to the original post:
We decided to retire to an area with a milder climate,and were very familiar with it,had vacationed there for years.
We refinanced our house at 3.3% rate with a cashout last year and paid cash for a manufactured home in a gated all ages community. We own the land,so no lot rent.Although all the kids are here in CT, we don't see them a lot due to jobs,school and their own social lives. The area is small town and very popular with retirees,so there is a myriad of clubs and activities to participate in. We already have a social group there from our several visits,which we don't have here! So we're going to go fishing,camping,garden etc. and have the kids for visits and come back to visit. We've never been big spenders,so should have a comfortable retirement. We'll be selling the house we live in,and have considered the $$ needed when one of us departs. So no mortgage,low taxes,low POA, low utilities, near the ocean, between 2 "big shopping" areas, and no snow.
My husband has put in for retirement, and there you have our retirement strategy.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
My parents retired with no pension, no savings to speak of, and living on Social Security. My dad and stepmom had a paid for house and 80 acres before they retired. So they were able to get by with that. My biological mom lived in a cheap little apartment building where the manager had her collect everyone's rent and write them receipts (I'm guessing some paid in cash). She probably got free rent or reduced rent for collecting everyone's rent but it was a really old brick building divided up into apartments and not someplace I'd want to live.

I think the best thing you can do if you have to live on a shoestring in retirement is have your house paid off before you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement