Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times

Advertisements

Anyone else ever notice how someone shows up every now and then in almost all the forums here on city-data, with a handle like "foxychick", posts a question that somehow always seems perfect for you to dump your infinite wisdom on the OP, and then you rarely, if ever, hear another peep out of the poster? Sneaky seed posts by CD to boost user interest so they look good for that next round of funding? Or perhaps a Russian phishing troupe casting a wide net?

Anyway, to answer the original question - yes, I wish I had gotten better psychiatric care for my "condition" when I was in my 20's. Back then I had delusions that the Kennedy-Rusk-McNamara-Bundy east coast ivy-league establishment was trying to subvert democracy and that if you were against the Viet Nam war you did no love your country, and that if you were not in pursuit of personal gain and material things you had a screw loose. But one thing I never, ever, heard or considered was what the old farts thought. I mean really, they were the problem!

So my advise, straight out of my youth, is to always question authority. If Obama is telling you that NSA spying on American citizens is good for us, question that. If any politician says the good ol' US of A needs to invade someplace because there are evil-doers lurking about, question that.

But wait, here I am answering the made-up question from the made-up poster, just when I said I wouldn't. Must be time for my meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Anyone else ever notice how someone shows up every now and then in almost all the forums here on city-data, with a handle like "foxychick", posts a question that somehow always seems perfect for you to dump your infinite wisdom on the OP, and then you rarely, if ever, hear another peep out of the poster? Sneaky seed posts by CD to boost user interest so they look good for that next round of funding? Or perhaps a Russian phishing troupe casting a wide net?

Anyway, to answer the original question - yes, I wish I had gotten better psychiatric care for my "condition" when I was in my 20's. Back then I had delusions that the Kennedy-Rusk-McNamara-Bundy east coast ivy-league establishment was trying to subvert democracy and that if you were against the Viet Nam war you did no love your country, and that if you were not in pursuit of personal gain and material things you had a screw loose. But one thing I never, ever, heard or considered was what the old farts thought. I mean really, they were the problem!

So my advise, straight out of my youth, is to always question authority. If Obama is telling you that NSA spying on American citizens is good for us, question that. If any politician says the good ol' US of A needs to invade someplace because there are evil-doers lurking about, question that.

But wait, here I am answering the made-up question from the made-up poster, just when I said I wouldn't. Must be time for my meds.
Oh yeah.
That reminds me. A little paranoia goes a long way.

Don't believe everything people tell you.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Damn, I had a good life!
Yep, it sure sounds like it! I sure wish I had the variety of flying experiences you had. I got only my private pilot's license and instrument rating. In fact, my ex-wife and I learned together and she got her private pilot's license also. We owned a 1964 Mooney for about three years - it had mechanical retractable gear (no electrics or hydraulics with the gear, just a big long lever in the cockpit!). We flew the Mooney from Los Angeles to Alaska on one trip, and to the Caribbean on another one.

We did our flying while living on a shoestring - the priority was the flying and we were very young. I have done a lot of things - played the trumpet well enough to earn a bit of change, did serious bicycling and motorcycling after the flying, but flying was the best and most memorable and most exiting thing I've ever done in my life.

If there is any moral to your story and mine, it would be perhaps to go for broke on certain adventures while young. (Yes, I do believe in saving for retirement - that can be worked in also somehow).

Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
I don't believe there's one 22 year old person on planet earth that would actually heed the advice from someone in their 60s.

I'm sure the retired folks here appreciate the fact that you'd be interested in anything they have to say, but odds are you'll end up doing what others your age do: the complete opposite of what some old fart suggests you do.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
I disagree with the "don't get married in your 20s" advice. I never push marriage, but I was married 2 weeks before my 26th birthday, and my wife and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this year.

Both my wife and I have changed throughout our 25 years together, but honestly, a person should know who he/she is by his/her mid 20s. If not, than he/she isn't marriage material, then. Each person is an individual, and develops differently and at different speeds. You have to be mature enough to decide for yourself, and if you are unsure than you probably aren't ready, or the other person isn't right for you.
I do disagree with you that a person is not marriage material if they do not know themselves by their mid 20's.
i have noticed i became more self confident in my late 20's and early 30's.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
My biggest piece of advice is don't procrastinate!! I let a lot of opportunities pass me by in my 20's (I'm 31 now) because I kept saying I'll get to that tomorrow or next week and before I knew it, it was too late. I believe I missed out on a couple of good jobs and business opportunities because of procrastination.

You are already doing good by going on ahead and finishing school also. I started and stopped several times which also prolonged me getting to where I want to be.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,865 times
one lesson learned is to save enough money for a career change in your 30s ( if you want one) but if not, you can use it for a small business. You can start investing as soon as you have savings like on long term investments or stock market.
Travel a lot in your 20s. make it affordable though.
If you think you found "the one", never let him go or else you would end up miserable for the rest of your life.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Do NOT have kids before at least age 30!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

434 posts, read 684,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do disagree with you that a person is not marriage material if they do not know themselves by their mid 20's.
i have noticed i became more self confident in my late 20's and early 30's.
I didn't say they were NEVER going to be marriage material if they do not know themselves by their mid twenties. I said they weren't marriage material, THEN. Please note the difference between "than" and "then", and I think you will interpret what I said more accurately.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 AM

87 posts, read 122,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

Wow, I have no idea what you are talking about. I like to wait until I get a variety replies instead of replying right away. I am also in school so I can't reply right away to every reply. I came to this section to get some advice from people who have already lived through their twenties; since they have alot of experience. Ummm, thanks for the interesting advice

Anywho, I have nothing to prove to an anonymous poster, believe what you would like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement