Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Interesting in that all of you favor the Smith in a concealed revolver. Any experience or opinions of the Ruger LCR? Fans of it insist that it is an improvement over the old tried and true S & W. For myself, have considerd for years a snubby .38, but have held off, rather of the opinion that they are best suited for experienced shooters that practice a lot and that are good shots. Experienced perhaps, but not as much practice as I should, and "good shot" is debatable.
For older eyes that short sight radius is a blessing. For casual shooting I do better with a 2" bbl rather than a 4". Besides, they're very pocketable whether for concealment or just convenience. Then there are aesthetic cosiderations. The J-fame smply looks good with a 2" bbl although for I-frames if prefer the look of the 3 1/4". I need to learn how to post pictures. When I do I'll post a picture of my very early postwar .32 Hand Ejector. If Smith should make an airweight Bodyguard in .32 H&R magnum or an extended J-frame Bodyguard chambered for .327 Federal magnum I'd buy either or both immediately. The .327 provides nearly the energy of the .357 with a significant reduction in recoil.

For comfortable shooting I do like the Colt Detective Special with the latest grips. It's a winner in either .38 special or Colt New Police, Colt's name for the .32 S&W Long. I wouldn't carry a .32 Smith & Wesson Long for serious social purposes, but for recreational shooting it's just plain fun. I can shoot near the house without bothering my dogs; that's a real plus. The .38 S&W (.38 Colt New Police) seems even quieter, however. The .22 lr cheap ammo is alwas supersonic; my dogs sure don't like it.

You don't need to attend combat schools or shoot everyday. Every single day inexperienced and untrained people send criminals to their final resting places. With a modern centerfire (I really prefer the old-time term central fire) you can dry fire as much as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

241 posts, read 272,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I carry. Why should I not be able to defend myself? It is a more important issue. I've learned over the years that I am not bulletproof. I can't run or fight like I could. A weapon is a great equalizer.
This........

Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
For older eyes that short sight radius is a blessing. For casual shooting I do better with a 2" bbl rather than a 4". Besides, they're very pocketable whether for concealment or just convenience. Then there are aesthetic cosiderations. The J-fame smply looks good with a 2" bbl although for I-frames if prefer the look of the 3 1/4". I need to learn how to post pictures. When I do I'll post a picture of my very early postwar .32 Hand Ejector. If Smith should make an airweight Bodyguard in .32 H&R magnum or an extended J-frame Bodyguard chambered for .327 Federal magnum I'd buy either or both immediately. The .327 provides nearly the energy of the .357 with a significant reduction in recoil.

For comfortable shooting I do like the Colt Detective Special with the latest grips. It's a winner in either .38 special or Colt New Police, Colt's name for the .32 S&W Long. I wouldn't carry a .32 Smith & Wesson Long for serious social purposes, but for recreational shooting it's just plain fun. I can shoot near the house without bothering my dogs; that's a real plus. The .38 S&W (.38 Colt New Police) seems even quieter, however. The .22 lr cheap ammo is alwas supersonic; my dogs sure don't like it.

You don't need to attend combat schools or shoot everyday. Every single day inexperienced and untrained people send criminals to their final resting places. With a modern centerfire (I really prefer the old-time term central fire) you can dry fire as much as you want.
once you get your basic skills there is zero relationship between actual police handgun shootouts and range scores or range time spent.

nyc has been analyzing every police shooting for many years and puts a report together that compares all parameters in police shootouts.

they look at hit ratios,shots fired ,whether sights were brought on target ,distance and loads of other factors. they look at range scores for those officers. it is all in the sop-9 report.

An Analysis of NYPD police shootings and how they apply to you

Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
And yet to make the long dangerous trek out to the local post office, these same people live in mortal fear and must be armed to the teeth in order, if necessary to shoot/kill should the need (and opportunity?) arise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
I couldn't love this post more.
All I could think of was where the term 'going postal' came from.

Seniors Concealed Carry? If you want it, carry it. If you don't, don't. Subject isn't a hot button with me at all.
I've tried, but I'm not good with them, so I'll stick with my wasp spray.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Maybe we have to change the saying to never bring wasp spray to a gun fight.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM

241 posts, read 272,722 times
Maybe but you could bring the spray to a wasp fight.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No doubt! Places like upscale, high end, squeaky-clean, affluent, perfectly safe Newtown, CT for instance.
And that is the sad sad truth.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Mike tyson said it best.

Everyone has a plan,until they get punched in the face.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I have changed my stance on carrying in the last ten or so years. I now believe that there is a need for responsible, mentally competent, rational, and extremely well-trained adults to conceal-carry. They are public defenders. Group 1.

Those of any age who are not trained, not sure of themselves, not mentally sharp, do not have excellent reflexes and impulse control and/or have a serious "thing" (racial or other demographic bias) against certain kinds of people should NOT carry, concealed or not. Group 2.

I belong in the second group (incompetence0, so I will not carry. The only problem is, most people in the carrying group believe they're in the first group.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
responsible, mentally competent, rational, and extremely well-trained adults
Excellent list of requirements and should be applied to far more dangerous things than concealed weapons, like motor vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement