Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM

241 posts, read 272,722 times

Advertisements

When the younger kids working in the checkout lines started calling me sir......I hate that..............I guess they are being respectful but still.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was a long time ago. It had something to do with naming a time span, something like "twenty years ago"--and I went, "Yikes." TWENTY YEARS? I can remember being an adult TWENTY YEARS ago? I've been an adult that long????
I was in the car with my ten-year-old son and a "Three Dog Night" song played on the radio. My son asked, "Is that 'old time' rock and roll?"

Thinking of artists like Buddy Holly, I said, "No, son, that's not 'old time' rock and roll. That song came out in the early 70s."

My son exclaimed, "But that was twenty years ago!" (my son is in his 30s now, btw).

At one time in the military, one of my subordinates peered at a picture on my desk of my NCO Leadership School graduating class. That school is the first level of leadership education that a brand new sergeant takes. He noted the date of the class graduation and said, "That was the month I was born."

I looked at him and exclaimed, "You mean I've been a sergeant longer than you've been alive?"

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
About 3 years ago, I was in a customers office and we were going over some numbers. It was early in the morning and I was having a hard time focusing on the paper. The customer noticed my struggle and asked if I forgot my glasses. I told him "No. I have 20/20 vision and have never needed glasses." He handed me a pair and told me they were reading glasses and for me to have a look. I put them on and it was like going from a 1972 Zenith Tube TV to my new 52 Inch HD Vizio. I couldn't believe it.

That's when I realized I was getting old.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
42 here. Thought I would be considered ancient by now. Considering most of the younger people I socialize with consider me their peer I'll still claim 'Youngness'. When they start calling me an 'Old geezer' I'll reconsider.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
When did you realize you just weren't so young anymore?

When my son turned 50 in January, and my oldest grandchild turned 30,in December. Not to mention when my oldest great grandson turned 5.

Four generations of me!! That made me realize I was old and soon enough I would just be an ancester

Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
When my eyes broke
After a couple of years needing brighter light to read something, cursing various things for having too small printing on them etc, I got a pair of cheaters from a dollar store.....it was like magic, I could see again
I was 43 then, now 3 years later I need glasses to exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
When the younger kids working in the checkout lines started calling me sir......I hate that..............I guess they are being respectful but still.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
About 3 years ago, I was in a customers office and we were going over some numbers. It was early in the morning and I was having a hard time focusing on the paper. The customer noticed my struggle and asked if I forgot my glasses. I told him "No. I have 20/20 vision and have never needed glasses." He handed me a pair and told me they were reading glasses and for me to have a look. I put them on and it was like going from a 1972 Zenith Tube TV to my new 52 Inch HD Vizio. I couldn't believe it.

That's when I realized I was getting old.
Yep, hate being ma'amed all the time. Had to get readers around 44, there's a pair in every room of the house. I don't really feel old, but my stepdad passing in 2012 and now my aunt the other day has me, well, kind of in shock. I'm not fearless like when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
When my hip aches at the promise of wet weather, when my arm no longer wants to
Move the way it should
And!!! When I nod off in front of the tv.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I realized I was older when I started thinking of years left. It came as a shock because even a few years ago the future was this wide open horizon for me and I wasn't seeing an end.

A few examples:

Our sailboat, sell it or keep it? Most sailors get out of it by 70 but usually earlier, I'm talking about sailors that maintain and work on their own boats. How much longer will we last?

Thinking about a new/newer car and realistically how many more will there be?

Buy the lot next door and put a workshop on it? Would it be worth the years it will it be used?

Whether I like it or not, these thoughts pop up unbidden. Someday isn't a far off concept, it's concrete and much closer now.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
When I was 28 (and very attractive and active), my young daughter and I were watching the Winter Olympics on TV. A skier hit a hidden boulder and tumbled all the way down the slope. My daughter was horrified and said to me, "Mom, they should have old people like you doing that so, if they had an accident it wouldnt be so bad, because they'd know the end was near anyway." Seeing myself through her eyes at that moment made me feel older than I've felt in the succeeding 40 years.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
So true, jeanji... Dh can hardly walk now and he looks at all the stuff he started and it kills him. That huge workshop hasn't seen him in months. The house will never get finished. I really don't care, as long as we're together I'm happy for each day given to me. And I thank the powers above for each one, too. Never did that before, always took it for granted we had forever. Not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement