Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Hmmmm, I live within 20 minutes of a national park. I don't think YNP has wintertime volunteers.
Yes, Yellowstone is yr round park (I also would like to be a snowcoach driver, and keep my CDL active for such an opportunity) you can even get a J-O-B Employment & Career Opportunities | Yellowstone National Park Lodges, Wyoming

BTW... just found a Musician opening at Yellowstone. Filling out the application, see you there! Winter is a great time to be in Yellowstone!
https://careers-xanterra.icims.com/j...rpretation/job

I too am 20 min from a NP opportunity that is yr round. I volunteered there for last 25+ yrs

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-22-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Well, I am now officially retired! My place of employment had a very nice party for me last week and I am now free from all work responsibilities. It feels so good. Thanks for all the encouraging comments!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Well, I am now officially retired! My place of employment had a very nice party for me last week and I am now free from all work responsibilities. It feels so good. Thanks for all the encouraging comments!
Glad to hear the happy ending. I would imagine all that stress about people's comments at work now seems like just the smallest bump in the road - not even worth remembering.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Popcorn... Thanks for this thread. I'll be 62 this year and sure been thinking a lot about the near future.

What makes it hard on my end is I have good work which will be harder to walk away from.

Disliking a job seems to make the decision a little easier.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Popcorn... Thanks for this thread. I'll be 62 this year and sure been thinking a lot about the near future.

What makes it hard on my end is I have good work which will be harder to walk away from.

Disliking a job seems to make the decision a little easier.
Well Rakin, as long as you like what you are doing then just keep on doing it until you don't want to do it anymore. Age is not the only factor in deciding to retire.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Disliking my job made it easy to make the decision to retire 6 yrs early at age 49 and plus the fact anything I lost in retiring early I would recoup later on, but it was an 11 yr long wait for things to work out that way. I'm now 66 and receiving all of my other pensions and we are doing well in our retirement overseas!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM

756 posts, read 836,532 times
Quote:
I've worked 41 years for the same non-profit. I've been putting money into a 403b for 40 years (TIAA-CREF). I am 63 years old. I just can't continue working at this place! My emotional and physical well-being is suffering....boredom, stress, lack of appreciation, etc. and a very long commute (since 1978) has just about made me nuts!

I want to retire in a few months....and take early Social Security.....so many people say to wait, but I just can't.
I have to admit I have not read through all the threads to this post but after just reading the OP comments I have to just say this:

My husband felt the same way. We finally did it and it's a good thing that we did it when we did it. Exactly 4 years and 4 days after he retired, he died. I wish we had done it sooner- when he first mentioned it. We knew it was the right thing but we hesitated. Shouldn't have...

Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Me too, I haven't read all the posts on here, but I can relate to the topic's title!
I worked for the U.S. government aka DOD for 30 yrs before I called it quits at age 49, because I was just too burned out physically from my job, besides hating to work a tedious monotonous boring job even though it paid well! In the late 90s early retirements were offered due to the government's man power downsizing and military base closures. I knew that we wouldn't be able to afford to live on my initial small pension in California, so we got rid of everything we owned and moved overseas, which had a low cost of living and I did not have to work ever again!
18 years later, we still live overseas and doing well enjoying our retirement lifestyle and I'm now collecting the rest of my pensions when I turned age 60 and 62, I'm now 66 and still enjoying our retirement here overseas.
Not everyone can do what we did, because my particular type of job made it possible for me to do so, but we had to wait patiently for almost 11 years for everything to fall in place and it did!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 PM

It has now been exactly one year since my retirement. I am sooooooooooooooooo HAPPY! Things have worked out very well. I decided to wait until my fra to collect SS. I am working on my house - getting ready to put it up for sale and will be moving to the Midwest. I am so excited.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sometimes it takes separation.

Since January, I have split my time between Chicago and Tucson. When I am in Chicago, I am always thinking about my former job which I retired from in May 2013. When I am in Tucson, I am thinking about a lot of things - but never work.

I always suggest a LONG TRIP after you retire.
I did take a road trip to the Midwest this past May. It was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement