Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I Have you read CJ Box, similar but in Wyoming, better I think.
Yellowstone Park will never be the same after reading his Back of Beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Although I wouldn't presume to classify this as beach reading, I am ready to dig into Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century". I figure if I really want to read it (and I do) it's better to read it during the sunny days of summer than the dark and gloomy days of winter.
That book has the distinction of being a well bought but least read book this summer:

Summer Not-Reads: WSJ Readers Share Books Left Unfinished - Speakeasy - WSJ

FWIW - the methodology used in this study was looking at reviews - and how many reviewers mentioned things at the start of books - as opposed to ends. Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That book has the distinction of being a well bought but least read book this summer:

Summer Not-Reads: WSJ Readers Share Books Left Unfinished - Speakeasy - WSJ

FWIW - the methodology used in this study was looking at reviews - and how many reviewers mentioned things at the start of books - as opposed to ends. Robyn
LOL. I saw that in another article. I read almost all of my books on Kindle (but never highlight quotes/passages), but this one will have to be in hard copy. I have a difficult time visualizing someone who is really interested in Piketty's material choosing to read this book on a Kindle. Flawed review?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
From the library, just got David Guterson's (his best known novel, Snow Falling on Cedars) collection of short stories (set mostly in the Pacific Northwest), Problems with People. He's such a fine writer in a literary way. These you can consume three or more in one sitting.
http://www.amazon.com/Problems-Peopl.../dp/0385351488

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ha. And I can't understand all the hoopla over this book.
Extremely wordy. Repetitive description. Needed a slasher as an editor.
I agree; The Goldfinch started out strong but went rapidly downhill for me. I did finish it, thinking surely the end would justify the effort. Not so, I regret now all the time I spent on it. Bummer.

My favorite new-ish summer reads: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, The Rosie Project, and The Martian.
All three gathered strong critical and reader reviews, and all three will IMO be soon made into blockbuster movies. I'm especially looking forward to the screen treatment of Harold Fry. That story's a keeper, and apropos here it's an account of a recent retiree at loose ends. It starts out slow, kind of slogs for a few chapters, then takes off. Unpredictable ending, a twist at the end. Loved it.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I agree; The Goldfinch started out strong but went rapidly downhill for me. I did finish it, thinking surely the end would justify the effort. Not so, I regret now all the time I spent on it. Bummer.

My favorite new-ish summer reads: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, The Rosie Project, and The Martian.
All three gathered strong critical and reader reviews, and all three will IMO be soon made into blockbuster movies. I'm especially looking forward to the screen treatment of Harold Fry. That story's a keeper, and apropos here it's an account of a recent retiree at loose ends. It starts out slow, kind of slogs for a few chapters, then takes off. Unpredictable ending, a twist at the end. Loved it.
That should make a good movie!
I just finished The Rosie Project.It was cute, good for a light read.
I found myself occasionally mentally yelling at the kid in Goldfinch..."Turn the GD thing in!"
" The fault in our stars " by Green, John got many bad reviews and isn't a 'fun subject ' book but I liked it even though I usually agree with the bad reviews.

Last edited by old_cold; 07-12-2014 at 03:21 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Default Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What do you like? It's probably very eclectic.

In the last 2 weeks - I've read Ruth Reichl's first novel:

Delicious!: A Novel: Ruth Reichl: 9781400069620: Amazon.com: Books

And The Giver:

The Giver: Lois Lowry: 9780440237686: Amazon.com: Books

The former was a new delightful piece of "beach fluff". And the latter a somewhat older disturbing piece of adolescent dystopian fiction (I'm a fan of dystopian fiction and read this particular book when I found it had been banned in many schools - although I can't for the life of me figure out why).

I don't think that younger people read the way many of us older people do these days. Although I hope I'm wrong about that. Reading is our entry point into so much of the world. Robyn
I love to read. I'm writing your ideas down. Going to NYC in 2 weeks and I like to be distracted on the phone (engrossed in reading).

One thing I love about my daughter (late 20's) is that she loves to read. I'm so glad about that.

Thanks for those suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement