Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

I used Amazon's subscribe and save for quite a while. I have a diabetic cat and she can only eat Fancy Feast classic. amazon had a decent price for the 24 can pack and with the 15%, on 5/24 can packs and free shipping, what a deal. Considering the price locally it was much better. THEN.... Amazon increased the price to where it was more than local prices and I cancelled all of them. Too bad really, it was a good deal. Then I wanted to buy Hansen's Diet soda and that was a better deal then local prices. So, I bought a lot to get the 15% and free shipping and BAM they did it again. NOW to buy the soda you have to join PRIME to get a decent price. Ugh, $99.00 a year, no thanks. It totally isn't worth it for me as a single person.

I have a vitamin presently on subscribe and save for my mother. She only gets the 5% off as it is a single item and free shipping but it is still half the price than she would pay at her local co-op.

A lot of the items they have put on PRIME to get the better price. I know there are other things that you get with PRIME, movies etc., but I really wouldn't use them enough to make the 99.00 bucks worth.

I have found a good deal, for me, on bird seed and black oil sunflower. I was buying it at Target as it was a better deal than Petsmart but wanted to find an even better deal. I found Fleetfarm.com with some great prices and set shipping up to 60-70 lbs. which is unheard of for such weighty items.

It takes some looking but there are some deals. Too bad Amazon is not high on my list any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Now, I have a question? Does anyone know how long I can expect to keep large containers of Kalamata olives. It seems that it should be indefinite, but I do wonder. I hate to throw out food.

As you can see, the price is right.

Amazon.com : Roland Pitted Baby Kalamata Olives, 4-Pounds 6-Ounce Jar : Kalamata Olives Condiments : Grocery & Gourmet Food
It'll probably keep, but without vinegar to acidify it, it might be best to refrigerate after opening.

Some interesting comments there. I liked the one about rinsing out the salt brine, and replacing it with wine.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I used Amazon's subscribe and save for quite a while. I have a diabetic cat and she can only eat Fancy Feast classic. amazon had a decent price for the 24 can pack and with the 15%, on 5/24 can packs and free shipping, what a deal. Considering the price locally it was much better. THEN.... Amazon increased the price to where it was more than local prices and I cancelled all of them. Too bad really, it was a good deal. Then I wanted to buy Hansen's Diet soda and that was a better deal then local prices. So, I bought a lot to get the 15% and free shipping and BAM they did it again. NOW to buy the soda you have to join PRIME to get a decent price. Ugh, $99.00 a year, no thanks. It totally isn't worth it for me as a single person.

A lot of the items they have put on PRIME to get the better price. I know there are other things that you get with PRIME, movies etc., but I really wouldn't use them enough to make the 99.00 bucks worth.
This is incorrect. People with and without Prime pay the same price. Prime is a delivery option. Prime members receive free two day shipping on all eligible items, everything, or, perhaps, almost everything that Amazon sells. It doesn't include Amazon marketplace sellers unless Amazon fulfills the order. What you see marked Prime is available to you at the same price. You do need a $35 order for free shipping and the free shipping is not two day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Amazon.com : Roland Pitted Baby Kalamatas, 4lbs 6oz : Kalamata Olives Condiments : Grocery & Gourmet Food

It'll probably keep, but without vinegar to acidify it, it might be best to refrigerate after opening.

Some interesting comments there. I liked the one about rinsing out the salt brine, and replacing it with wine.
That makes sense. I was going to refrigerate it, but adding some vinegar or citric acid seems prudent regardless. My choice is citric acid.

Speaking of citric acid, it's easy to use it with lemon extract to make an ersatz lemonade,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I make my own pesto from basil I grow in my apartment. I have a grow light over my dresser where I have ripe cherry tomatoes and basil right now. I live in a very tiny studio with no yard, so can't grow a full garden. But, I can still grow some of my own food, too. Bought a $30 grow light from Lowe's and voila! indoor cherry tomatoes!
That's a neat setup, not dissimilar from mine. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Lighten up....gee whiz...
Also, noticed for the items I looked at, Prime is a bit more expensive per item.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Cgrocery%2C147

Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Do they use mail for Amazon Prime shipping? Amazon is sending all my stuff by post office these days and it's a hassle, esp. with big things that don't fit in my mailbox. We don't have home delivery in my rural area. If they can't leave it in my mailbox a mile away, I have to drive 30 mi. into town to get it. I use a p.o. box in town just for packages now. If Prime uses UPS or FedEx, it might be worth paying for since they deliver to my door.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Do they use mail for Amazon Prime shipping? Amazon is sending all my stuff by post office these days and it's a hassle, esp. with big things that don't fit in my mailbox. We don't have home delivery in my rural area. If they can't leave it in my mailbox a mile away, I have to drive 30 mi. into town to get it. I use a p.o. box in town just for packages now. If Prime uses UPS or FedEx, it might be worth paying for since they deliver to my door.
UPS delivers all of my Prime shipments. They'be been delivering all of my Subscribe & Save Items as well for some months. I do not know about other shipping options. Most marketplace sellers seem to use USPS.

I really like Prime as I hate paying shipping charges. When Amazon raised the Super Saver minimum from $25 to $35 about a year ago I got Prime so I wouldn't need to wait until I had a large enough order or buy something extra. Having Prime also lets me borrow a Kindle book each month. However, I seldom find a book I wish to read without ownership this way.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM

413 posts, read 701,606 times
I have Amazon prime and I've started using it to order heavy items, like bags of kitty litter, to save hauling them home from the store. The UPS man drops them at my doorstep.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:28 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

Amazon uses UPS for most of it's shipping. Only smaller marketplace vendors use USPS and those are generally for items that can fit in a mailbox.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Maybe it depends on where you live. They used to ship UPS here, but now they only use USPS, even for large bulky items. This is for both Amazon and marketplace sellers. If it weren't so hard to find Amazon customer service, I would ask them whether Prime would mean UPS shipping.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Try this number:1-888-280-3321
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement